Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 6 Month Album Review

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I personally have been disappointed with the majority of albums that I was looking forward to this year. EMA, Mogwai, Phantom Band, all below expectation. Liars I have enjoyed more than any and Sleaford Mods though it is not as good as Austerity Dogs. Wild Beasts gets better the more I listen to it. Ought and Perfect Pussy( looking forward to seeing them at the end of the month) also very good. Yet to listen to Swans and Parquet Courts.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Keep remembering albums- The Amazing Snakeheads! Probably in my top five.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I almost prefer it, very reminiscent to early Pavement.

I bought the new Thee Oh Sees album and it doesn't stand up to last year's effort. I'd definitely give it a listen online somewhere before buying.

Got a few of your favourites, and here's my first impressions after one or two listens:
Angel Olsen -- impressive, and liked it even more second time round
Sun Kil Moon -- have been meaning to encounter Kozelek for a while, and glad I have; only one listen, but very much like
Real Estate -- only heard it once but don't like.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Parquet Courts, Sunbathing Animal is my favourite so far. Not as immediate as light up gold but a cracking album.

I love Parquet, to the point where I'd consider discarding my earthly possessions and pursuing them around the globe on a neverending tour (they put houmous and carrots and bread on their rider), but I wish they'd put this on their album, which is the b-side to the Sunbathing Animals single and probably the best of its kind I've heard, certainly in years at least:

[yt]pxx9nKvCq0E[/yt]

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I will go with:

tUnE-yArDs - Nikki Nack
East India Youth - Total Strife Forever
Frankie Cosmos - Zentropy
Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love
GOLD-BEARS - Dalliance
Mutual Benefit - Love's Crushing Diamond

Haven't made my mind up about Honeyblood yet - I'm wondering whether it's a bit Radio 1 for me, but it has its moments.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Has anyone heard the Super Furry Animals side project, Season Sun's new album 'Gulp' yet? I've only heard one track on it and it's pretty damn good but would appreciate any other views.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My current top 3 is
1) War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
2) Sisyphus - Sisyphus
2) Sun Kil moon - Benji.

But will check out a few mentioned so far especially Swans and Neneh Cherry. Didn't realise that Parquet Courts had a new one. I loved the last one so I'll be on it like vomit.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
As NPR and Resident appear to be doing it, what are your favourite albums for the first 6 months of this year?

Here is my top 20.

1. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness

2. Swans - To Be Kind

3. Sun Kil Moon - Benji

4. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

5. Real Estate - Atlas

6. Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else

7. White Lung - Deep Fantasy

8. Posse - Soft Opening

9. Perfect Pussy - Say Yes to Love

10. Ought - More Than any Other Day

11. Marc DeMarco - Salad Days

12. Todd Terje - It's Album Time

13. Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal

14. tUnE-yArDs - Nikki Nack

15. Marisse Naddler - July

16. Eternal Summers - The Drop Beneath

17. Hospitality - Trouble

18. Ben Frosy - AURORA

19. Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra - ***** Off Get Free we Shine Light on Everything

20. Mutual Benefit - Loves Crushing Diamond

These threads kinda knob me off a little bit to be honest - just seems like groups of people (usually the same ones) playing a desperate game of of "My musical tastes are more obscure than your's". I have literally never heard of ANY of these bands in the top 20!!!!! Maybe I'm getting old, or I'm just not "trendy" enough :(

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
1. The Orwells- Disgraceland is my number one, absolutely brilliant album. Can't wait to see them live.

2. Parquet Courts- Sunbathing Animals. I was excited for this and it didn't disappoint.

3. The War On Drugs- Lost In The Dream is a fantastic album.

4. The Rifles- None The Wiser, a massive improvement from their 3rd, which was a complete let down considering how superb the first two are.

5. The Black Keys- Turn Blue. Lacks a bass line, which was usually made up by the guitarist using pedals. Still a good album though.

They're the top 5 I can think of on the top of my head.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
These threads kinda knob me off a little bit to be honest - just seems like groups of people (usually the same ones) playing a desperate game of of "My musical tastes are more obscure than your's". I have literally never heard of ANY of these bands in the top 20!!!!! Maybe I'm getting old, or I'm just not "trendy" enough :(

Or maybe people just like different things to you?

Maybe people put a bit more effort in?

I find the accusation that people are just trying to be willfully obscure pretty insulting to be honest. Take this track from the OP's top album

Is that obscure? Really?

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Or maybe people just like different things to you?

Maybe people put a bit more effort in?

I find the accusation that people are just trying to be willfully obscure pretty insulting to be honest. Take this track from the OP's top album

Is that obscure? Really?

Pay no mind to me, I'm having a absolute C**t of a day, and I was being a dick. I'm sorry. That doesn't sound bad at all (admittedly never heard it though!). I guess it's this sort of stuff that spotify was made for, and I kinda waste my tenner a month on ignoring the new stuff.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Pay no mind to me, I'm having a absolute C**t of a day, and I was being a dick. I'm sorry. That doesn't sound bad at all (admittedly never heard it though!). I guess it's this sort of stuff that spotify was made for, and I kinda waste my tenner a month on ignoring the new stuff.

No worries man - we've all been there.

There's a few records that appear a lot on this thread, perhpas give those a go. You could do a hell of a lot worse than go down the OP's list, there's some outstanding stuff on there. You won't like it all but that's kind of what it's all about!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

What kind of stuff are you into? If you're a rock fan and like big guitar solos then Strands of Oak might be right up your street.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

Be there or be square daddy-o.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
What kind of stuff are you into? If you're a rock fan and like big guitar solos then Strands of Oak might be right up your street.

Three times I've listened to this now, and I've added it to my "Not sure, but keep just in case" playlist on Spotify (Yes, all my playlists are titled as vaguely!!!), but I'm still a little bit unsure as to whether I like it or not!!!!

I've got a weird taste in music - very eclectic, clearly very commercial, but it seems as I'm getting older my tastes are getting older and older too - I'm listening to a lot of Fleetwood Mac, The Who, T-Rex, Yes, early Genesis, Mike Oldfield, along with new (er) stuff. At 32, I still have a little bit of a fondness for early 2000's two step garage, and I have a whole playlist dedicated to cheese. If someone raided my Spotify, they'd need therapy for months!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here