Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Rooney ....

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He's been a letdown since Euro 2004, and sticking him on the left felt like an approach that 'had' to accommodate him somewhere, somehow, because we're too scared to drop him.

My abiding memory of South Africa 2010 was a simple pass coming to Rooney, in space and time, and with an opportunity to trap the ball, look up and make something happen. Either surge forward himself, or spread the play on. After a shit tournament, this was his perfect moment to ignite. Instead, the ball pinged off him, like he was a hungover spare part making up the numbers for a pub team on a Sunday park pitch, and ballooned gently across the pitch to a startled and grateful defender.

I hope his 'corner' last night is not this tournament's equivalent.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Fabulous miss from our Wayne though. International standard miss that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What did you think about his cross for our goal?

A very good cross, yes. But the pass to him from Stirling put him into a position where you would expect him to be able to produce a cross like that - it wasn't a moment of magic, it was the sort of cross that many, many players would have produced.

And he did nothing else. I really enjoyed the team's performance last night, but the sooner Rooney joins Terry, Ferdinand and Cole the better.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A very good cross, yes. But the pass to him from Stirling put him into a position where you would expect him to be able to produce a cross like that - it wasn't a moment of magic, it was the sort of cross that many, many players would have produced.

And he did nothing else. I really enjoyed the team's performance last night, but the sooner Rooney joins Terry, Ferdinand and Cole the better.

But he's shit and a waste of space? How can you expect a shit waste of space to produce a cross like that?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
But he's shit and a waste of space? How can you expect a shit waste of space to produce a cross like that?

It wasn't me who said he is shit and a waste of space. He clearly isn't shit, as he has proved many times.

Overrated, though? Yes. He has never performed for England, not when it mattered (OK, not since 2004), and I don't think he ever will. He shouldn't be in the team on Thursday.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Play your centre forward on the left and judge him on that?
Hmmm, sound familiar?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
39 goals at international level. No maybe stop reading what is written by clueless idoits on twitter and look at the facts.

What about this fact: England win more games and score more goals when Rooney doesn't play than do when he does play.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Play your centre forward on the left and judge him on that?
Hmmm, sound familiar?

quite. on reflection i think slagging him when playing out of position is unfair. he *is* probably a tad overrated, but mainly on the basis that he hasnt delivered the potential consitantly and when it matters internationally. he has had a good season in a poor Man U side and shone brightly in the past for them. he is a top player. if he's played wide though, we cant expect him to perform to his ability. slate him when he's given a game in the hole.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Baines was ****ed by Rooney's terrible positioning in both defense and attack....johnson and sterling linked up well down the right as 19yo sterling understands the game! Everytime Baines got the ball on the left he had no one to go to, Rooney needed to make runs down the line but he was just wandering in field. Rooney did put a great cross in but also missed a very good chance.

Absolutely THIS. Both the Italian goals came from play play down that side, Rooney simply wasn't tracking back to help Baines and when he did it was beyond half hearted.

I like Rooney and I wouldn't drop him yet but anyone saying he had a good game just because of that cross, didn't watch the game properly.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If Milner played on the left from half time we wouldn't have lost last night. There was a massive problem and Roy didn't know how to fix it. Moving our 2nd best player of the first half Wellbeck across to cope with it lost our shape. Milner for Rooney at half time and they wouldn't have scored.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
39 goals at international level. No maybe stop reading what is written by clueless idoits on twitter and look at the facts.

The facts are he has never scored in a major tournament and has never scored against the top countries....the Eastern European and minnows like Andorra and San Marino are his limit.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Roy needs to decide what Rooneys best position is and he needs to compete for that shirt not be shoe horned into the team to the detriment of him and the team

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Roy needs to decide what Rooneys best position is and he needs to compete for that shirt not be shoe horned into the team to the detriment of him and the team

The thing is in the 12 years Rooney has played for England he has played in his best position a lot of the time, he still has not scored against the best. Now shoe horning him in will not change things.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The thing is in the 12 years Rooney has played for England he has played in his best position a lot of the time, he still has not scored against the best. Now shoe horning him in will not change things.

I am not suggesting he starts what I am saying is if his best position is a striker then he competes with Sturridge for a start. Clearly Sturridge gets the shirt at the moment and it is up to Wayne to prove he is a better option in that position. What frustrates me is when Rooney gets picked or played on the left or in the hole when there are far superior options on the bench who naturally play in those positions. He is getting picked on his name and past glories and not current form for England

The question is had Roy got the bottle to drop him to the bench?

Last edited:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I am not suggesting he starts what I am saying is if his best position is a striker then he competes with Sturridge for a start. Clearly Sturridge gets the shirt at the moment and it is up to Wayne to prove he is a better option in that position. What frustrates me is when Rooney gets picked or played on the left or in the hole when there are far superior options on the bench who naturally play in those positions. He is getting picked on his name and past glories and not current form for England

Very much this - seems obvious our best front 4 at the moment is sterling-Barkley-welbeck with Sturridge up top. Would be exciting and very much more balanced than with Rooney accommodated. Will Roy be that bold though?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I agree with you, what i mean't was that the excuse used now is that Rooney is playing out of position, he has not delivered when he has played in his best position. Hyped up as world class, which clearly against the best in major competitions.....he is not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here