Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace winger says he was sent death threats after Arsenal draw

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
That's justification for racial abuse and death threats?

No, that's why I also said that the fans overreacted.
That kind of reaction is without doubt inexcusable, I'm not sure anyone is disagreeing with that, but when you constantly and consistently cheat, week in, week out, then there's little sympathy when you moan about it.
If he used his talent properly then he can run rings around most defenders, but he acts like a prick so gets stick for it. He deserves abuse, just not that kind of abuse.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Why would your choice of football club change whether you believed someone has received racial abuse?

Because I’m highly biased towards Brighton. The same way I’m more likely to believe an outlandish story told by one of my mates than a random pisshead at a bar. The same reason which lead almost everyone on this board to almost instantly disregard the claims that our fans were chanting “town full of p*kis” at Burnley last season.

I’ll say it again, don’t you find it weird that as far as we can tell not a single fan screenshotted the racist abuse and death threats and there wasn’t even a mention of it on BBS about it until Zaha brought it up?

Just for a second, try and imagine this. For whatever José Izquierdo is receiving numerous hateful comments on social media.There’s racial abuse all over his Instagram and even a few death threats. What are the odds of nobody spotting it? Not one NSC user spots racist abuse and starts a thread on here. Not one Brighton fan screengrabs the comment and posts it on twitter. You can’t imagine it, can you? The notion of nobody apart from Zaha spotting it and pointing it out is absolutely ludicrous.

I’m not trying to justify racist abuse, it’s obviously wrong. I just don’t currently believe it actually happened.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Get off social media you pleb, simple.

:nono:

Agreed.

I once heard a story about a woman on a bus who was being told to move because she was black. Apparently it caused a RIGHT SCENE and made all the onlookers feel really uncomfortable.

She should have just got off the bus and then the abuse would never have started, simple.

:bowdown:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So if this was a Trump thread you'd all agree that pleb should get off social media. Half wits.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If this was one of our players....

There is no 'but'. Such abuse is the behaviour of pond life.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Racism and death threats both totally unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Being a diving cheating tw@t also totally unacceptable.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This. Diving Wilf is a fact of life. If he receives any death threats over it he should just pass them straight over to the police.

I disagree. He shouldn't because a) the threat isn't a real one based on millions, probably now billions, of likewise instances since the internet was born that have never materialised b) they won't do anything beyond 'lip-service' because they're positively drowning in such instances and way more serious ones like actual murders, actual attempted murders, actual battery, actual sexual violence, actual burglary etc. He'd be wasting his time and theirs. Plus our tax because it all costs admin.

That's why it's better for everyone if he just ignores the idiotic keyboard warriors IMO rather than offering himself up for further trolling by reacting to them. That or just turn off his twitter feed as so many other celebs have done 'cause haters are just gonna hate' and these could be the other side of the planet beyond any practical action.

(note: and for those still struggling to understand/differentiate...in no way has anyone condoned death threats levied at Mr Tumble; nor is my sense of perspective, also shared by others, anything to do with Palace-Brighton rivalry given it's just as applicable for any 'celeb' whatever their race, sex, colour, religion or other label some sick stranger chooses to personalise his/her digital attack. It's merely pragmatic given the digital world we now live in. You know, like installing anti-virus software. Shouldn't have to, but then...)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of the usual suspects letting their rabid hatred of all things Palace to cloud their rational thinking.
Disappointing, but not surprised.

And what about others doing the opposite? Mention that, please. Or bugger off.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I disagree. He shouldn't because a) the threat isn't a real one based on millions, probably now billions, of likewise instances since the internet was born that have never materialised b) they won't do anything beyond 'lip-service' because they're positively drowning in such instances and way more serious ones like actual murders, actual attempted murders, actual battery, actual sexual violence, actual burglary etc. He'd be wasting his time and theirs. Plus our tax because it all costs admin.

That's why it's better for everyone if he just ignores the idiotic keyboard warriors IMO rather than offering himself up for further trolling by reacting to them. That or just turn off his twitter feed as so many other celebs have done 'cause haters are just gonna hate' and these could be the other side of the planet beyond any practical action.

(note: and for those still struggling to understand/differentiate...in no way has anyone condoned death threats levied at Mr Tumble; nor is my sense of perspective, also shared by others, anything to do with Palace-Brighton rivalry given it's just as applicable for any 'celeb' whatever their race, sex, colour, religion or other label some sick stranger chooses to personalise his/her digital attack. It's merely pragmatic given the digital world we now live in. You know, like installing anti-virus software. Shouldn't have to, but then...)
Well done for continuing with the attempt to put across a totally reasonable point that almost everyone can't seem to understand.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

And the racism?

Your argument completely ignores the point.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If I were a lawyer, I think I would also have to question what Zaha has actually received. All the reports say things like he has revealed that he has received sickening racist messages and death threats.

But they all seem to quote a single Instagram message from him which said "For all the people taking it one step further and being racist and wishing death on my family, I wish your families the best too. P.S My life is still very good despite your hate."

Now - the inference is obviously that he has received something, but he doesn't actually say that does he? For all we know there may be no people taking it one step further etc - and his statement would still be correct.

Given his propensity to exaggerate and overegg stuff on the pitch every week, I do think that it would be better for him if he followed it up with something like 'I have reported x people to the Police', or 'This is what I have received', and so on. I'm not an instagrammer, but has there been anything else at all from him?

I notice that his club have said that they won't be taking it any further. Why not? https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wilfried-zaha-offered-support-crystal-13513280

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's one thing when the crowd at the match is booing an opposition player, or shouting abuse on the lines of 'cheat' or 'w@nker', but there is no excuse or justification for racial abuse or threatening a player's family. That's despicable.
I'd be interested to know through what medium these threats were made, and which medium Zaha used for his replies - just from what I've read in that BBC article he seems to be replying and arguing back, which in itself is probably not the wisest thing to do - feeding the trolls and all that. I do suspect, however, that this is a case of internet trolling -which brings me to my point. Wouldn't it be a good idea for young footballers (some of whom won't always make the most mature decisions) to have it in their contracts not to go on social media at all, period. I know youngsters are pretty addicted to the mobile phones, Whatsap, Instagram, Twitter and lord knows what else - but for £40K, £80K, £100K or whatever they are getting per week would it be too much to ask? There's other ways of keeping in touch with families and friends, ffs!

I mean, how much a week would you take to stop using NSC? £50K a week and I'd certainly close my account here and now (smaller offers may be considered)!

A sniff of political office may be enough for some :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here