Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jay Rodriguez: "The truth came out"

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But let's be serious about this, the truth about racism in football came out in a court of law, when John Terry was proven to have said an undoubtedly racist remark to Anton Ferdinand, but they decided that he was still not-guilty. Nothing has really changed and until there is zero tolerance regarding any racist remarks, they will continue to blight the game.

I think your memory is failing you there. The reason Terry was cleared because in context, what JT said wasn't racist!

Calling someone a black c**t is racist. 0/10. Poor attempt at a troll.

JT claimed he only said those words to deny that he had said them in an insulting/aggressive/perjorative manner (i.e. "I never called you a...."), the court of law decided that it wasn't proven 'beyond a reasonable doubt' that he had used them in an insulting/etc manner.

The FA found him guilty, because their burden of proof is 'did he probably do it?'.

Which kinda goes against the point you seem to be trying to make about racism in football - with the example you gave, Football took action where the law courts would not. (Not saying you are wrong to suggest the football authorities aren't doing enough, just that the JT case is a poor example to use).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"Rodriguez is determined to move on and focus on the future. "

This quote caught my eye. Not so determined that he would turn down cash for another interview and another article about the affair.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think Bong is 100% sure of what he heard. He could still be wrong though.

There's certainly been times I've been sure I've heard one thing but it transpired to be something else.

I have always thought this though worried to say it for fear of being hounded a racist by NSC. I am sure Bong thinks he heard 'You're black and you stink' but to me that just isn't the sort of thing people (and racists) say, the chance that he misheard "Your breath stinks' is very possible especially as JR was doing the nose pinch and hand waft thing that childish people do.

Last edited:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I have always thought this though worried to say it for fear of being hounded a racist by NSC. I am sure Bong thinks he heard 'You're black and you stink' but to me that just isn't the sort of thing people (and racists) say, the chance that he misheard "Your breath stinks' is very possible especially as JR was doing the nose pinch and hand waft thing that childish people do.

My thoughts as well. Let’s be honest JR is very unlikely to have said it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I feel sorry for Rodriguez. There I said it
Shit sticks. Even if he said it which I doubt and only jay will ever know,he will be forever known by many with an allegiance to Brighton to be a racist

Look at all the other black players in his career and at school that he has thrown bananas at called a paki cashing in on his racism with their story

Oh. There aren't any. That I know of anyway. Then racist he will be remembered as. That's fair isn't it. or perhaps bong misheard.

He has been more than punished for a crime in the balance of probability he likely didn't commit. It's ugly and happens. And he can't undo that

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

“You’re crap and you stink”. ???

We’ll never know. The case remains unproven but why raise even raise it?

Are my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Personally I presume that Bong's experience of racism is more far-reaching than that of almost all on here and that, on the balance of probability, he heard what he heard.

It's true that, for the very same reason, he expects to hear racist remarks and might therefore have imagined it in the din at The Hawthorns (well, sort of). But equally, he would have known the consequences of complaining and would not have done it lightly.

A lot of ifs and presumptions and mights in that short statement NaN. Doesn't really mean anything at all though does it? (Not a criticism btw)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This is more or less where I'm at with the situation.

There was no point in arguing at the time because people had their blue and white tuned specs on and are desperate to believe our player.

There's no evidence either way. If you're willing to entertain the idea that Rodriguez was actually misheard (any reasonable person should do because of lack of evidence either way) then you have to feel some sympathy for him if he didn't actually say it.

None of that means Bong is a liar or making it up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I feel sorry for Rodriguez. There I said it
Shit sticks. Even if he said it which I doubt and only jay will ever know,he will be forever known by many with an allegiance to Brighton to be a racist

Look at all the other black players in his career and at school that he has thrown bananas at called a paki cashing in on his racism with their story

Oh. There aren't any. That I know of anyway. Then racist he will be remembered as. That's fair isn't it. or perhaps bong misheard.

He has been more than punished for a crime in the balance of probability he likely didn't commit. It's ugly and happens. And he can't undo that

So why go to the press once again, quite a few months after it al died down?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Well, let's just imagine for a moment that Bong did mishear. If I was JR I too would defend myself as much as I possibly could, if someone for example accused me of racism in the workplace and possibly put my reputation and career on the line then I would do absolutely everything in my power to rid that reputation. As we have already mentioned, no one really knows what was said but if JR said nothing then playing the rest of his football career with people suggesting he is a closet racist is harsh if he genuinely just made a comment about bad breath.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don't know that for sure. And just because Bong is 100% of what he heard, that doesn't mean he is necessarily correct. I don't know why people can't understand that.
I don't think that's difficult to understand, but when it's one point among others it's easy for it to get lost.

I think Bong is sure Jay had been racist. I expect he's right, but it's possible he's not.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well, let's just imagine for a moment that Bong did mishear. If I was JR I too would defend myself as much as I possibly could, if someone for example accused me of racism in the workplace and possibly put my reputation and career on the line then I would do absolutely everything in my power to rid that reputation. As we have already mentioned, no one really knows what was said but if JR said nothing then playing the rest of his football career with people suggesting he is a closet racist is harsh if he genuinely just made a comment about bad breath.

The more he protests, the more people are likely to believe there was something in it. Bong is being dignified and not dragging it all through the mud again. The only time he responded was when Rodriguez said the truth came out, when it didn't. It was not proven, which is not 'not guilty'.

This needs to be laid to rest, no point at all in dragging it all up again, nothing more can be proven or disproven.

Absolutely. So why did he?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
"Rodriguez is determined to move on and focus on the future. "

This quote caught my eye. Not so determined that he would turn down cash for another interview and another article about the affair.

That's not the quote which caught my eye.

The bit which caught my eye was when he said his Dad was racially abused when he moved from Spain.

What if the media and everyone turned round to him and said ''That's hearsay'' ''Prove it'' - ''We only have your Dad's word for that''

Does that mean ''The truth has come out'' - He wasn't racially abused because he can't prove it ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's not the quote which caught my eye.

The bit which caught my eye was when he said his Dad was racially abused when he moved from Spain.

What if the media and everyone turned round to him and said ''That's hearsay'' ''Prove it'' - ''We only have your Dad's word for that''

Does that mean ''The truth has come out'' - He wasn't racially abused because he can't prove it ?

Very, very good point......

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Perhaps he feels quite strongly that an injustice has been done and can't let it rest? I have no idea. I don't think he has grasped the not proven bit. He should of course let it lie really. I guess the people who know him like his family, team mates, and character witnesses are the ones who's opinion really count, or should count to him, everyone else? Meh **** em. Just my opinion and experience I suppose

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really do get what you're saying, and also suspect -- although in my instance, it's strongly suspect -- that Rodriguez did say something racist to Bong. One of the word Bong alleges he uses is black. I'm wondering what word Rodriguez uttered that sounds like black. Can't think of any myself.

This is exactly what I'm wondering. And couldn't Jay just come out and clear it all up by revealing WHAT the word was he said that sounds like black?

"Step back, you stink"?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Calling someone a black c**t is racist. 0/10. Poor attempt at a troll.

Not trolling in the slightest. As I said from the outset, your memory fails you. Terry didn't call Ferdinand a black c**t. He asked Ferdinand if that's what he thought he said. Still not great, but asking someone if they thought you made a racial slur does not make you racist, if you didn't make that slur.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not trolling in the slightest. As I said from the outset, your memory fails you. Terry didn't call Ferdinand a black c**t. He asked Ferdinand if that's what he thought he said. Still not great, but asking someone if they thought you made a racial slur does not make you racist, if you didn't make that slur.
What a **** to repeat it though. What a ####.

Don't try and defend it.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here