Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The original Boots on Western Road with the sliding screens with pictures. Model Aerodrome and Wisdens. And my favourite menswear shop on Western Road in the 70s, Michael Barry.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I miss the Ben Sherman shop near the Clock Tower in Brighton. Also Nurden and Peacocks cash and carry far better than bookers.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bradshaws.....London Rd & Patcham Village. Anyone else remember at Patcham junior school in the 50's of some lessons at the old school? The walk over from Warmdene Rd to the old village was always heightened by passing all those shiny new bikes in Bradshaws window. There was a newsagent next door & round the corner was Penna's the barbers. Can't remember any other shops....over to you?

You must have walked past the parade of shops on the right on Ladies Mile Road after the crossroads. In order from the corner, Gills the newsagent with Matchbox cars in the left window, Attwoods the hardware shop with the grumpy owner where you could buy a can of parafin for the heater at home, Cracknells the greengrocer and Tomlinsons the grocer who sold wonderful sticks of soft liquorice or Spanish as my aunt called it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You must have walked past the parade of shops on the right on Ladies Mile Road after the crossroads. In order from the corner, Gills the newsagent with Matchbox cars in the left window, Attwoods the hardware shop with the grumpy owner where you could buy a can of parafin for the heater at home, Cracknells the greengrocer and Tomlinsons the grocer who sold wonderful sticks of soft liquorice or Spanish as my aunt called it.

Oh yes, spent many a dinner time sitting on sacks of grain in 'Toms' with a bottle of Tizer & a paper bag of lemonade powder. Can still picture Tom behind the counter with his 'Arkwright' brown overall on. Trouble is it's 60 years ago now!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Going back many years, I miss The Cottage record shop opposite the museum and gallery; a wonderland of second hand progrock gatefold sleeves. Also the camp Grace Bros charm of Hills of Hove, where I had my first holiday job in 1975, as lift man.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Woolworth's was full of total and utter tat :lolol:

Au Contraire, young Edna...

Woolies was one of the shops that I and a couple of mates used to visit on our weekly record run every Thursday in 1978/9. The singles charts came out on Thursdays and any records that had dropped out of the top 50 went into a bargain bin (25p IIRC). I picked up loads of decent records that had peaked at number 28 and Woolies had therefore bought in copious quantities only to see it drop like a stone.
Hanningtons was another store on the run.

I also miss the Wavy Line shop at the end of Dewe Road, even though the old git running it had the audacity to tell me off for putting a football through his window.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Coffee shop in Gardner St can still remember the smell of roasting coffee beans,before its time would be doing good business if it was around now.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
oh and did love fopp on north st, didnt last long

Theres still a great Fopp in Cambridge. Great in that you go in there for one thing maybe, but come out with 8 things you didnt know you wanted, but not what you went in for because the other stuff is better!

Theres one in London thats still good too.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Arthur Sallis. Sold electrical components. Didn't know what most of them were but we bought resistors and transistors for a few p, and made small circuit boards.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Au Contraire, young Edna...

Woolies was one of the shops that I and a couple of mates used to visit on our weekly record run every Thursday in 1978/9. The singles charts came out on Thursdays and any records that had dropped out of the top 50 went into a bargain bin (25p IIRC). I picked up loads of decent records that had peaked at number 28 and Woolies had therefore bought in copious quantities only to see it drop like a stone.
Hanningtons was another store on the run.

I also miss the Wavy Line shop at the end of Dewe Road, even though the old git running it had the audacity to tell me off for putting a football through his window.

Yep, before my home town of Belper had an independent record shop I bought all my music from Woolies. Even after that, you tended to find some less popular gems on sale in there. Remember I get Lloyd Cole's Mainstream on tape for naff all, went to sleep listening to it that night - lovely album. So Woolies wins it for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here