Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Michael Johnson Olympic athlete

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Nice to hear. I think he is also a top, top pundit. To say he knows what he is talking about is an understatement. The BBC has done very well to get him.

Yes, agreed. he always seem so knowledgeable. Quite a surprise to hear of a stroke. Whilst it is probably true that sport is good for your overall health with regard to most folk, there are exceptions. Some folk have medical conditions of which they might not be aware and running etc should be the last thing they undertake -if they did but know it. Look what might have happened to Conor Goldson, had he not been a professional athlete and subject to screening.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't you think he took drugs?

I don't think he did, but who knows?

Really, I must admit to being a bit surprised if that’s the case. What’s the info behind this?

I've done some searching and all I can find is him handing back his relay medal for the 2000 2 x400 race, because a team mate had admitted it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/o...to-handing-back-Olympic-relay-gold-medal.html

@Trigaaar please elucidate.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hadn't seen this at all. Glad he's making a good recovery.

I've worked alongside him on BBC athletics events a fair few times, and he seems an absolutely top man. Unfailingly pleasant and polite to us little people, who make the event work.

The same is very much NOT the case, with one or two of his colleagues.

I always had to pinch myself when I saw Michael Johnson working for the BEEB, I thought this is a guy who is not doing it for the money as i'm sure the wage isn't great. Nice to know he is as lovely off camera as on it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think he did, but who knows?
Really, I must admit to being a bit surprised if that’s the case. What’s the info behind this?
@Trigaaar please elucidate.
You said you don't think he took drugs and asked 'who knows?', I replied 'he does'. He knows whether or not he took drugs.

I don't intend to commit libel.

I do know that a huge number or US athletes took drugs, and the US knew about it (prior to and following the '84 Olympics). Given the level of cheating in Athletics I am suspicious of anyone who is considerably better than everyone else.

When do you think the men's 100m gold was last won by someone who'd never cheated (with drugs)?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You said you don't think he took drugs and asked 'who knows?', I replied 'he does'. He knows whether or not he took drugs.

I do know that a huge number or US athletes took drugs, and the US knew about it (prior to and following the '84 Olympics). Given the level of cheating in Athletics I am suspicious of anyone who is considerably better than everyone else.

When do you think the men's 100m gold was last won by someone who'd never cheated (with drugs)?

Alan Wells.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Generally when somebody asks a question like that, they have some sort of reference to back it up.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

That was not how I read your post. I read it as you knew, in as much as there had been investigation/allegation that he had.
I suspect a libel lawyer would have a field day with your post, good that you clarified.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suspect a libel lawyer would have a field day with your post, good that you clarified.
No, because I didn't say that he has. When asked 'who knows' I said 'he does'. Although you may have jumped to conclusions, if you read what I wrote, it's clear that I didn't commit libel.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No, because I didn't say that he has. When asked 'who knows' I said 'he does'. Although you may have jumped to conclusions, if you read what I wrote, it's clear that I didn't commit libel.

Isn’t that what libel lawyers do? The fact the two of us read it in a similar manner would indicate that it isn’t as clear as you may think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That's not simply pedantic, it is completely unreasonable and pointless smearing of the guy without a shred of evidence. :shrug:

I could say you abuse drugs. I could say it, but why? Who gives a toss what I think about your habits?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You could have replied 'He knows'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Back to OP point, strokes are caused either by athrerosclerosos/thrombosis of a cerebral artery, or haemorrhage of a cerebral artery. The former is facilitated by familial hypercholesterolaemia (bad fat in the circulation due to the way the liver works rather than due to a shitty diet). Graeme Souness will have had that (his athero/thromobo was in a coronary artery in the heart rather than in his head). Fix the lipids and you'll be good to go.

A haemorrhagic stroke is a 'bleed' and can be rather more tricky to resolve.

Neither type of stroke have anything to do with fitness.

Cardiac hypertrophy (the rower) will reverse after the incessant exercise ceases. This is perfectly natural. Lethal hypertrophy (a couple of footballers have had this) is when there is natural heart enlargement and in addition a channelopathy (a fault in the heart's electrical architecture) and the two conspire to cause ventricular fibrillation (the arrhythmia that is the end result for most of us, albeit due to a more mundane 'heart attack' - acute coronary thrombosis on top of coronary atherosclerosis).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn’t that what libel lawyers do?
No, libel lawyers try and prove or disprove libel when there's been libel they don't manage to convict libel when there's been none.

You could have replied 'He knows'.
But what I said was simply correct. 'Who knows?' 'He does'. It's clear. It wouldn't make any grammatical sense if it was supposed to mean something else. He does what?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, libel lawyers try and prove or disprove libel when there's been libel they don't manage to convict libel when there's been none.

But what I said was simply correct. 'Who knows?' 'He does'. It's clear. It wouldn't make any grammatical sense if it was supposed to mean something else. He does what?

You were the first person to mention drugs in post 14.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You were the first person to mention drugs in post 14.
Yes, I asked you a question, that's all. I didn't then reply to my own question, I replied to a different question asked by you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh blimey, do we have to go back further?

I wouldn't write off everybody since, tbh. I personally cling to the hope that Bolt has never needed to resort to such means. Of course a lot of it is technicalities - all the top level athletes are taking cocktails of supplements, containing God knows what - whether they are technically contravening the guidelines of the day, or not.

Wells though, you definitely do not want to be putting on any pedestal. Even the fully 'clean' sprinters from that era, were legally taking stuff then, that would be banned now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here