Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we negative or just lack the quality ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We lack the quality to play any other way but negatively.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Over cautious...but bit of both really.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
If stats are correct on BBC Sport website then we had 13 shots in an away game so it looks like, as we have all known, WE NEED A STRIKER who can put the ball in the net. This window will be crucial to whether we stay up or go down.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Both definitely, with the lack of quality being the reason why we're so negative one would assume. That being said, the quality shouldn't have been an excuse today as there wasn't much of (if even) a gulf between the two sides. They were on 16 points for a reason, they're horrendous and similarly to us feed off scraps in the final third. I'd have taken the most dull 0-0 ever on that basis, but we can't even perform the most basic of defensive procedures properly. Where these's players minds are at right now is anyone's guess

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton is a cautious manager but nevertheless has set up with two wingers and kept faith with Knockaert all season so I wouldn't call that negative. I think the players are learning about the Prem, and it's no coincidence all 3 teams that have come up are really feeling the pace now.

The wingers and the central midfielders need to be more adventurous in getting forward, but that is as much about their inexperience as it is about Hughton. We need strikers but we also need to learn fast.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
If stats are correct on BBC Sport website then we had 13 shots in an away game so it looks like, as we have all known, WE NEED A STRIKER who can put the ball in the net. This window will be crucial to whether we stay up or go down.

Agreed, but we also need players who can keep the ball under crossbar height when shooting, have not seen so many skied balls for as long as I can remember.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The PL is all about teams playing with pace. Leicester won the league by running at people with Vardy and Mahrez. Zaha is Palace's stand-out player because he runs at teams.

Meanwhile, we've got slower as a team in the last 12 months, and are playing Glenn Murray up front who would lose a sprint race against a snail.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We don't have the quality on the pitch or the managerial nous off it.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Having watched the game if we had Aguero up front we wouldn’t have scored today. No quality in the final third at all. Our dreadful input from wingers is what is going to cost us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We have plenty of quality in our strongest team, but we don't have enough to come in. We also have a very negative and cautious manager, but he's the same manager who got us promoted having come so close the season before. Let's not start suggesting he's not a good enough manager, he is - and he's done a very good job. I don't think he's the man to keep us up though, we don't score enough goals because of the tactics, we're conceding goals from set pieces which are costing us, despite having plenty of players in there who should be doing better.

I think our transformation into last seasons Middlesbrough is almost complete and a sleepwalk to relegation is on the cards if we don't address the calamitous defending at corners and start showing a bit of attacking ambition away from home. Today's result is terrible in all contexts.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lack of quality and players not performing at their peak.

As I said to a friend today, when was the last time we scored a goal that made you go 'wow'. When did someone do something amazing, or even at the level we achieved last season? Think about the number of missed chances lately, and the shots we've blasted over. They have zero % chance of being goals. As an example, Knockaert had a good chance today, which last season he would have got on target. Today he blasted it over - lack of composure from a player who should be doing so much better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here