Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Already having an effect according to Spurs, due to the low value of the GBP the cost of buying European players in EUROs has inflated the cost.

Stand back for leavers to say but we can now sell our stars to European clubs more cheaply thereby boosting exports

Utter bollocks. There's only one reason spurs aren't buying...the new stadium. They're Potless.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I see that 'British in Europe' the group representing Brits who are making their lives in the EU are joining in the call for a People's Vote on Brexit. .

Oh no, a pressure group who are dedicated to remaining in the EU are calling for the referendum to be done again………Imagine my shock.
Out of interest do you know if they want their peoples vote on the finalised deal to be held before the trade aspects are finalised or when/after the trade aspects are finalised…

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I eventually got a response from my mate at DexEU after I sent him pastafarian's quote

His response 'WTF ? Stupid ****' (he obviously called upon the diplomatic skills that he honed during his time at the Foreign Office for that response :lolol:)

Now I'm not sure whether revealing pastafarian is a stupid **** is considered confidential information, but my guess is his job is safe for the minute.

Well that was long winded wasn't it, but with your help constantly chasing me up, I managed to get the response that you were both so concerned about in the end - Hope it was worth it :thumbsup:

As I suspected , after looking forward to confirmation civil servants are NOT working behind the scenes…….you don’t supply any confirmation, just a couple of words you have invented yourself from an imaginary friend., pretty much sums you up, absorbed in your own little invented brexit universe, talking to yourself and making it up as you go along, case in point, you saying it’s a lie that you thought brexit wouldn’t happen even though you voted for exactly “brexit wouldn’t happen”

watford plank.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh no, a pressure group who are dedicated to remaining in the EU are calling for the referendum to be done again………Imagine my shock.
Out of interest do you know if they want their peoples vote on the finalised deal to be held before the trade aspects are finalised or when/after the trade aspects are finalised…

For you and JCFG who are so enamored with the referendum being a democratic decision, it would have been nice for all those Brits in Europe to have had a vote the first time around.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In fact, with only just over 7 months to go to implement the agreed solution, we must just be dotting the I's and crossing the T's on our plan (behind the scenes, and out of sight of the public and EU, of course).

I'm sure all will be revealed in the next few weeks. After all, no-one would be stupid enough to leave it this late with no sign of an agreement or plan, would they ???

Yep….. in your own little world, still doesn’t realise that if there is an agreed solution it currently has an agreed implementation period that doesn’t have to be implemented within the next 7 months but goes through to December 2020…….....try and keep up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
For you and JCFG who are so enamored with the referendum being a democratic decision, it would have been nice for all those Brits in Europe to have had a vote the first time around.

Parliament democratically voted and decided the franchise to be used in the referendum, Brits who had registered to vote here in the last 15 years and who hadnt lived abroad for more than 15 years were fully entitled to vote. Dont think there was a big uptake amongst the entitled expats to voice their opinion.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yep….. in your own little world, still doesn’t realise that if there is an agreed solution it currently has an agreed implementation period that doesn’t have to be implemented within the next 7 months but goes through to December 2020…….....try and keep up.

So you're backing TM's softest of soft Brexits with the extension to EU membership then. I get the impression that you are in a minority on here, but if you think it's the right way to go you stick with it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Oh what a surprise/imagine my shock: an ad hominem response by one of the best in the business!
I think you'd need to explore this with the group itself. (I got the distinct impression that they were rather let down by their government and that 'trade' might not be their number 1 priority.)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Parliament democratically voted and decided the franchise to be used in the referendum, Brits who had registered to vote here in the last 15 years and who hadnt lived abroad for more than 15 years were fully entitled to vote. Dont think there was a big uptake amongst the entitled expats to voice their opinion.

That group, British in Europe claim 60% of Brits living in Europe did not qualify to vote under that system. That would be more than 700,000 people who by exercising their rights under freedom of movement, could not have a say in a referendum that threatened those rights.
Would you be happy with that?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So you're backing TM's softest of soft Brexits with the extension to EU membership then. I get the impression that you are in a minority on here, but if you think it's the right way to go you stick with it :thumbsup:

Your words not miine.

Oh what a surprise/imagine my shock: an ad hominem response by one of the best in the business!
I think you'd need to explore this with the group itself. (I got the distinct impression that they were rather let down by their government and that 'trade' might not be their number 1 priority.)

I dont know any peoples vote types to explore with, but i find it odd that remainers who are solely focused on the economy and trade with regard to Brexit wouldnt have trade as a priority when it came to the new peoples vote.
Maybe they really are as scheming and dishonest as you seem to be implying ( in a round about way) . Certainly looks that way.

That group, British in Europe claim 60% of Brits living in Europe did not qualify to vote under that system. That would be more than 700,000 people who by exercising their rights under freedom of movement, could not have a say in a referendum that threatened those rights.

No idea on the accuracy of their claim,has anyone looked into it?
How many of those who did not qualify are not of voting age for example.

Latest ONS figures has 784,900 Brits living in mainland EU (excluding Ireland) so 700,000 for Europe alone seems quite high.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...onalmigration/articles/livingabroad/april2018

Numbers of Brits abroad globally registered to vote by the end of 2016 was 264,000. Not a big uptake really is it, but certainly a big jump and improvement from the 35,000 previous high registered up to 2015.
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05923

Yes I am happy the franchise wasn’t amended to accommodate a one off vote. That would have stunk of deliberately rigging a vote either way. If the franchise is to change it should be done through separate legislation, which I believe the gov are backing to abolish the 15 year rule, labour oppose it obviously.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That's not an acceptable answer. Detail how you would specifically fund £14bn. Nobody will accept 4p on the basic rate of income tax and your plan to add 8p to the higher rate will leave you billions short. Or are you part of the Labour manifesto writing team where budgeting for spending doesn't matter ?

Where did you just pull £14 billion from? A side of a bus!?

Try reading the posts in this thread !

As I have already point out more than once, and as you continue to ignore, it wouldn't cost £14bn. Perhaps you should try re-reading the posts in this thread. Or does accuracy not matter to you?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Are you drunk ? If you look at my previous posts it tells you where I got the £14bn from - I'll make it easy for you - directly from the Universities themselves - www.universitiesuk.ac.uk

Now how are you going to fund it ? Or are you going to avoid the question AGAIN ?

And I already point out that this is bollocks yet you continue to cite your incorrect figures. You've clearly been given the correct information so it shouldn't be hard. Unless you are purposely ignoring the correct figures to make your point?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Your words not miine.

No, your words

There's no option to extend EU membership with WTO no deal

So, you must be talking about TM's softest of soft Brexits - Your own words :shrug:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As I have already point out more than once, and as you continue to ignore, it wouldn't cost £14bn. Perhaps you should try re-reading the posts in this thread. Or does accuracy not matter to you?

Oh dear,has our little troll had a bit of an episode and forgotten to log in as Plooks?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
'Bloody Premier League chairmen, drama queens the lot of them, it's all Project Fear, etc etc

So 2 tinpot clubs whose sponsors contributed to Remain has suddenly transformed into Premier League chairmen.Yeah,right.???

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Oh dear,has our little troll had a bit of an episode and forgotten to log in as Plooks?

I'm a separate person, as should be obvious. I'm not involved in the debate. I don't think either side is coming across particularly well in the debate. I just noticed some incorrect figures being bandied about and wanted to correct them. It's important that debates are based on accurate information, irrespective of your viewpoint, otherwise your viewpoint cannot be taken seriously. Especially if you wilfully ignore correct figures.

According to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, it would cost £8bn to abolish tuition fees and bring back the maintenance grant. This was calculated around the time of the last GE. However, something which I haven't pointed out, is that since then the Conservatives have increased the threshold for paying back the Plan 2 loans to £25,000. This means it would actually now cost less. Also, there is currently a review being carried out of HE funding and tuition fees, which may change things further.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9217

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Already been done to death twice.They had plenty of notice to register a UK address if they wanted to vote,but for reasons best known to themselves couldn't be bothered.Or perhaps they had not so good reasons for not registering.Loads of criminals on the Costas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here