Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Get a grip

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sometimes the passion clouds ones true feelings. I was so gutted with our first half performance last night that I walked out of the lounge and stopped watching it on our beautiful £ 600 tv. That’ll teach them I thought....... I’ll watch it in bed on my iPad. We all say things we don’t really mean when we get wound up.......

Thats a fair post imho ..I would just add ..that also its worth trying to separate the trolls from those who genuinely care about bhfc

People just vent in frustration at certain times when watching the Albion, it's part and parcel of supporting them IMO:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Get a Grip was exactly what CH said during the half time team talk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The away performances are clearly an issue; I think it’s perfectly acceptable to raise comments about this.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We're in a league where only 6 or 7 teams will score more than 1 point per game away from home. Last season we were only 5 points behind what Arsenal got away from home. In fact only 7 points separated 13 teams. This isn't a league where teams go on the road winning lots of games. Only 7 teams won more than 4 games on the road, over half the league lost 50% or more of their away fixtures.

Please do not come on this forum and use common sense and facts to back up your argument, instead please stick to hysteria, half truths and inaccuracies to make a pointless argument!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The thing about forums (and footy supporters) is they are full of people with strong opinions. Many of those opinions vary from a little to a lot with some agreeing on some things and getting into a rage about others. Take it all with a bucket of salt and just believe in what you believe and let the headless chickens get in a panic over something they have a different opinion to that of those that matter which in this case is CH and his back room staff who have ultimate say on these matters regarding the Albion.
Every one is entitled to their opinion but some would do better to stay out of the debate as it obviously is too much work for their brains :smokin:

All IMHO of course :shootself

This is a forum for debate and if any fan feels strongly and disagrees with management decisions, then they are perfectly entitled to voice an opinion. CH and his team do make mistakes, we all do. The team set-up at Watford and slowness to react, the decision to let Gross take the Fulham penalty, the decision to recall Dunk too early and drop Balogun. The away tactics and apparent lack of tempo starting games. These come to my mind. Other fans will disagree with my views.
The manager and his team are here for however long they are in employ. We are here for life. Some of us have been here most of our lives. It is a commitment and a passion. We expect a certain standard for our money. When it falls below that standard, we are entitled to comment. It is not about headless chickens. Its about fans that care and want the best for their club.
I come on here to read a cross section of views not a consensus. I want sensible, I want provocative and sometimes a bit of outrageous goes down well. Its the mix that works.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
This is a forum for debate and if any fan feels strongly and disagrees with management decisions, then they are perfectly entitled to voice an opinion. CH and his team do make mistakes, we all do. The team set-up at Watford and slowness to react, the decision to let Gross take the Fulham penalty, the decision to recall Dunk too early and drop Balogun. The away tactics and apparent lack of tempo starting games. These come to my mind. Other fans will disagree with my views.
The manager and his team are here for however long they are in employ. We are here for life. Some of us have been here most of our lives. It is a commitment and a passion. We expect a certain standard for our money. When it falls below that standard, we are entitled to comment. It is not about headless chickens. Its about fans that care and want the best for their club.
I come on here to read a cross section of views not a consensus. I want sensible, I want provocative and sometimes a bit of outrageous goes down well. Its the mix that works.

The trouble is interspersed with genuine fans with differing opinions are the trolls who inflate their own ego by attracting attention with provocative, nonsensical statements.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The away performances are clearly an issue; I think it’s perfectly acceptable to raise comments about this.

Exactly, it's called debate rather than negativity. We all have the Albion in our hearts but no-one can accept some of our away performances.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thats a fair post imho ..I would just add ..that also its worth trying to separate the trolls from those who genuinely care about bhfc

Great point.

There’s a vast difference between gutted fans posting as we’re getting outplayed and beat, simply sharing the pain, from those who appear to feast on destroying Locadia, Stephens, March after an allegedly poor performance.

el punal

To be fair, we are pathetic in away games. Last season we managed to lost to West Brom, the only team to achieve that when they were managed by Pardew. We all knew we would lose there, because we are a joke away from home and there's no reason for it. We have a good team, filled with quality. But, for whatever reason, we are not competitive away and it must be a concern to the top of the tree.

I’ll correct you there - we were pathetic in SOME away games. I went to thirteen away fixtures last season and we certainly were not pathetic when we played Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, Man Utd. Admittedly the games at West Brom, Huddersfield, Leicester and Everton were awful. Then, there were those that we should have won as we were dominant - Newcastle and Southampton. As for the rest - well, they were examples of first season damage limitation.

Like most Albion fans I would love to see us be more positive away from home this season. Being optimistic I feel once the new boys settle in more that will be the case - hopefully.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We are 5 games in and nobody is talking about the January Transfer Window - That's what I call ''contentment''

Good point! This time last year (after strikergate) there was a definite feeling amongst some fans of: "let's hope we're not too far adrift come January and then the new signings will be able to save us. Oh, and will we ever be able to beat a Top Six side?"

What we are witnessing here may be the beginning of our Sense of Entitlement which I think inevitability comes to all PL teams eventually. No one has gone as far as to say "we should be beating teams like Southampton", but on the other hand people are already far less tolerant of poor performances than they were last season.. People are, rightly, pissed off by that first half performance and are saying" **** me that was shit" rather than "Well it's the Premier League and Southampton are an established club so it's no surprise it took us a while to get going. The fightback was encouraging though."

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’ll correct you there - we were pathetic in SOME away games. I went to thirteen away fixtures last season and we certainly were not pathetic when we played Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, Man Utd. Admittedly the games at West Brom, Huddersfield, Leicester and Everton were awful. Then, there were those that we should have won as we were dominant - Newcastle and Southampton. As for the rest - well, they were examples of first season damage limitation.

Like most Albion fans I would love to see us be more positive away from home this season. Being optimistic I feel once the new boys settle in more that will be the case - hopefully.

Same this season ... Liverpool away we looked very good.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think you read my posts in the Propper thread properly then. Nor my post in this one.

As I said there, I feel bad for criticising him, but in the spirit of Brighton always improving I think we can do better in that position. I've been wondering that for a while, but his thunderingly bad first half performance led me to my conclusion. I was interested to know what others thought, and thankfully for Davy, the majority disagreed with me. Including BensGrandad.

But to suggest that I'm 'not a Brighton fan' or being negative in that post is clearly wrong. We haven't stood still for 20 years and I don't think anyone in the club will accept standing still now. Continual improvement, thats a positive outlook :)

Agree - we have to continually improve, the biggest thing for me, is that we now have a seemingly capable squad, pulled together in a relatively short time.

Inevitably we will off-load a couple of fans favourites each summer, but I think perhaps there’ll be fewer bigger money signings, who have a bigger impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I made the point on a similar debate last season. This being that Hughton was adopting a safety first approach, stay in the game and trying and nick a goal. This was with a promoted squad with some new talent being integrated. We did not splash the cash indiscriminately (a la Holloway). We looked to gain a point on our rivals with a fairly modest negative goal difference. This was helpful in our survival.

The view expressed that we should watch his approach when the squad was strengthened in the close season. Now Hughton has gone up a notch with his recruitment he 'appears' to be following that notion. All well and good at Anfield, but at St Marys I think a number of us were looking for the team to express themselves a little bit more.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So how is that different from people questioning Locadia which in turn has led to this thread about negativity, which you’re agreeing with even though it’s most likely the Propper & Locadia threads that have prompted it. :shrug:

Well I'm agreeing partly tongue in cheek because I know full well his thread its somewhat aimed at me and the thread I started on Propper. I take that criticism with a wry smile because I have regularly posted similar to Juan Albion, against people who just take against a player because he miscontrolled a ball or two or made a bad foul in a dangerous part of the pitch. I didn't like the Locadia thread because I can see what Locadia is trying to do - and clearly he's trying too hard - and although it was laughingly embarrassing when he trod on the ball, I have far less problem with Locadia's performance than with Propper's first-half effort. Thats because Propper is a first-name-on-the-teamsheet kind of player, and vanishing for an entire half of premier league football isn't good enough in that role.

More than that though, I do think it is perfectly consistent to be grateful for what we've got - including the whole squad, the U23s and all our other wonderful representatives - and also to wonder on a message board about where we can improve still further and ask others opinions of certain players. I was very grateful for what we had in 2001 at Withdean, and 2011 at Withdean, and 2017 at the Amex - and yet all those players got replaced as we moved up. I also know full well that that Propper thread will be bounced and sneered at next time he scores and has a great game, and long may that be so.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I made the point on a similar debate last season. This being that Hughton was adopting a safety first approach, stay in the game and trying and nick a goal. This was with a promoted squad with some new talent being integrated. We did not splash the cash indiscriminately (a la Holloway). We looked to gain a point on our rivals with a fairly modest negative goal difference. This was helpful in our survival.

The view expressed that we should watch his approach when the squad was strengthened in the close season. Now Hughton has gone up a notch with his recruitment he 'appears' to be following that notion. All well and good at Anfield, but at St Marys I think a number of us were looking for the team to express themselves a little bit more.

Our GD made no difference to our survival last season. Its winning games at PL level that count.
We spent months last season watching sterile, unadventurous football and losing many games 2-0 and accepting them like moral victories. That was until Chelsea and Liverpool rocked up and reduced our GD by -8 in 180 minutes. Ultimately we finished with a GD of -20. There is always a potential battering round the corner. We are not good enough to avoid one or two. Bmuff adopted a different approach. Go for it, when you can, home and away. Take your thumpings on the chin but take advantage of anyone below par on the day. They concede a lot of goals but finished -16, better than us. Eddie Howe isn't the slightest bit worried about GD. He targets winnable games home and away and looks to spring the odd surprise ( 3-0 at Chelsea )

It is about attitude. We started games at Watford and Southampton poorly, at the wrong tempo and on the back foot. We will only pick up more away points by taking the game to teams early, before they have a chance to settle. Most surprise results that lesser teams get are as a result of early goals and defending well afterwards. We have shown that we can organise, get men behind the ball and make it difficult for the better teams. We have played three away games this season and tried to play catch up in all of them. For a side like us, who are not prolific scorers, that is a problem.

Teams come to the Amex and are trying to press us from the first whistle. We should be doing this much more away from home.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'm agreeing partly tongue in cheek because I know full well his thread its somewhat aimed at me and the thread I started on Propper. I take that criticism with a wry smile because I have regularly posted similar to Juan Albion, against people who just take against a player because he miscontrolled a ball or two or made a bad foul in a dangerous part of the pitch. I didn't like the Locadia thread because I can see what Locadia is trying to do - and clearly he's trying too hard - and although it was laughingly embarrassing when he trod on the ball, I have far less problem with Locadia's performance than with Propper's first-half effort. Thats because Propper is a first-name-on-the-teamsheet kind of player, and vanishing for an entire half of premier league football isn't good enough in that role.

More than that though, I do think it is perfectly consistent to be grateful for what we've got - including the whole squad, the U23s and all our other wonderful representatives - and also to wonder on a message board about where we can improve still further and ask others opinions of certain players. I was very grateful for what we had in 2001 at Withdean, and 2011 at Withdean, and 2017 at the Amex - and yet all those players got replaced as we moved up. I also know full well that that Propper thread will be bounced and sneered at next time he scores and has a great game, and long may that be so.

NEXT time he scores? Remind me when he last scored for us, I genuinely don’t know the answer to this but I was under the impression that he hadn’t scored at all.

I bloody love Propper and can forgive him one bad half in a midfield team performance that lacked any quality at all for 45 minutes. He was much better in the second half and was part of why we came back to gut Saints.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'd love for Chris to decide that we could compete better by attacking teams when we're away. Rather than just sitting in and waiting for the inevitable goal conceded before starting to think about playing. I think we've got class throughout the team, we should be able to produce better performances than we have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here