Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Now I'm a fat lad, as some of you know!

At not quite 60 I thought it was time to get back into shape and running, along with cycling and diet is where I need to be. That said I've had a problem with my ankle which isn't helped by me being a "tad" overweight. So I've started the Couch to 5k and I have to say it's working, I'm only a few sessions in but Sarah Millican (my nominated App coach) and I are keeping with it!

Anyone else tried it?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Yep, did it at the beginning of this year, from no running I ended up doing the BM10K in April.

Great app would recommend.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yep, did it at the beginning of this year, from no running I ended up doing the BM10K in April.

Great app would recommend.

Worrying that it seems a little too easy at the outset and hoping it doesn't ramp up too quickly. With my lads being teenagers just want to get back to running a couple of 10ks with them and then just keeping my weight down.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good man. Welcome to the world of running.

Seeing as you also do the cycling, you may as well teach yourself an acceptable front crawl technique and do triathlons.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good man. Welcome to the world of running.

Seeing as you also do the cycling, you may as well teach yourself an acceptable front crawl technique and do triathlons.

Tried that about ten years ago, loved the running, loved the cycling .... hated front crawl and ended up doing breast stroke (not very motivational as you wave goodbye to EVERYONE!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's almost painful to ride passed the puce faced chunky monkeys (of which I would most definitely be one) with their knees and ankles strapped, 'running' slower than walking pace (again :wave: ) doing untold damage to their joints, while wearing a pair of trainers that cost as much as a bike.

I can't run, I know I can't run, the entire county would hear my knees go kerblammo, if I tried to run.

I'm off now for, hopefully, a nice ride without which I'd soon be the size of a couch.

Good luck to everybody trying to wage war on their bellies, just try not to do more harm than good.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's almost painful to ride passed the puce faced chunky monkeys (of which I would most definitely be one) with their knees and ankles strapped, 'running' slower than walking pace (again :wave: ) doing untold damage to their joints, while wearing a pair of trainers that cost as much as a bike.

I can't run, I know I can't run, the entire county would hear my knees go kerblammo, if I tried to run.

I'm off now for, hopefully, a nice ride without which I'd soon be the size of a couch.

Good luck to everybody trying to wage war on their bellies, just try not to do more harm than good.

Yes, I fear diet and cycling will play a larger part of the weight loss and running may be expanded from CouchTo5K later! It's the beer I tell ya!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Tried that about ten years ago, loved the running, loved the cycling .... hated front crawl and ended up doing breast stroke (not very motivational as you wave goodbye to EVERYONE!)

If you ever are motivated, I recommend a book called Total Immersion, which specifically targets people that take it up as adults. I couldn't swim a length of front crawl when I first tried but self taught using this book (along with online resource) and was able to complete the 750m of a sprint tri swim doing all front crawl within 4 months.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you ever are motivated, I recommend a book called Total Immersion, which specifically targets people that take it up as adults. I couldn't swim a length of front crawl when I first tried but self taught using this book (along with online resource) and was able to complete the 750m of a sprint tri swim doing all front crawl within 4 months.

Didn't it get soggy?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Thank you, it's laziness more than anything, we've people at The Lido that would happily teach me, but if the will grabs me I'll look at the book also.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you, it's laziness more than anything, we've people at The Lido that would happily teach me, but if the will grabs me I'll look at the book also.

Kim's must have a copy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck [MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION]

Drop in on the running thread for encouragement and to post news of progress. Don't run through injuries and don't try and race anyone, especially your boys. Yet!

Make sure you don't aggravate the dodgy ankle. Running on grass (not :smokin:)and good trainers.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good luck [MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION]

Drop in on the running thread for encouragement and to post news of progress. Don't run through injuries and don't try and race anyone, especially your boys. Yet!

Make sure you don't aggravate the dodgy ankle. Running on grass (not :smokin:)and good trainers.

Yes, the dodgy ankle is weak ligaments after a couple of operations, it actually needs strengthening and I've been overly protective of it. I'll pop over to the dark side and say Hi after another session on the Couch to 5k.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

There is nothing more satisfying than running past a fat wheezy bloke in shiny lycra on his £10,000 carbon fibre boy-toy going up a steep hill :D
[MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION] as regards C25K, it's a brilliant programme for getting into running - I know loads of people that have got into running through it. It's also similar to the programmes used by Run England for the coached beginner programmes used by running clubs. The build-up is deliberately very gradual to avoid injury and making everything seem too hard (which can easily put people off early on). Once you get to running 5k, it's pretty simple then to take that forward with gradual distance increase (aim for no more than 10% cumulatively per week, with some weeks where you plateau or step back a bit) and start to introduce some variety into your programme (hills, intervals etc) . Have regular rest days and cross train too......will all help with injury avoidance and keeping you keen. Also, pop over to the NSC Official Running Thread - loads of advice from others on there from complete beginners and upwards (and without the usual binfests :D)

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I tried the scheme in Worthing rather than the App. Saturday morning running and walking around Homefield Park with an Instructer blowing a whistle. Paid £10 at the start and if you complete the course you got your £10 back.
I lasted three weeks. Firstly my knees couldn't cope with the pounding of running on tarmac rather than grass. Secondly I assumed at the start that everybody would be unfit and all at the couch potato standard but some were already runners and they didn't like having to wait for the slow ones.
Perhaps the app is better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At not quite 60 I thought it was time to get back into shape and running, along with cycling and diet is where I need to be. That said I've had a problem with my ankle which isn't helped by me being a "tad" overweight. So I've started the Couch to 5k and I have to say it's working, I'm only a few sessions in but Sarah Millican (my nominated App coach) and I are keeping with it
Good for you if you're getting out and active.

Just an FYI for those who are interested in their weight though:
While exercise will burn a few calories (like a jelly baby's worth), our weight is mostly down to how many calories we eat.

That may be obvious to many, but it's surprising how many people don't realise. You can lose as much fat as you like without doing any cardio at all (although you should do some weights so you don't lose your muscle too).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good for you if you're getting out and active.

Just an FYI for those who are interested in their weight though:
While exercise will burn a few calories (like a jelly baby's worth), our weight is mostly down to how many calories we eat.

That may be obvious to many, but it's surprising how many people don't realise. You can lose as much fat as you like without doing any cardio at all (although you should do some weights so you don't lose your muscle too).

Very true.........it's a simple calories in/calories burned equation for the vast majority. I've lost about 6 stone since I started running without any real change in my diet (I still eat too much crap, but have got the balance of the equation a bit more even now). I run a bit so I can enjoy my food and drink a bit better.

Running a mile will burn about 80-100kcal for an average bloke - so that 3 mile run will be worth about a pint

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
A change in diet can do amazing things for the body. Cut out the crap and chemicals and watch the weight fall off. Eat like a cave man (paleo the kids call it) for a few months and you'll be a shadow of yourself in a healthy and sustainable way.

Saying that. I've seen Cough to 5k and have been keen to take it up, but keep making excuses for myself. I cycle a lot and I am fit and healthy, but just don't enjoy running even though I know the benefits are there. Pipe dream of a triathlon one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here