Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man Utd fans losing season tickets for passing on their Brighton tickets

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe some responses. Getting a ticket you have no intention of using shouldn't be allowed when clubs operate loyalty points schemes or have ballots. We spoke to three Americans in the John Harvey who had bought tickets in the away end for over $200 each.

Good that clubs crack down. Not too dissimilar to the likes of Ticketmaster closing their resale sites. If people can't make a profit from selling on then they aren't going to go after tickets in the first place and genuine fans will get them instead.

TYTY

Jul 25, 2018
As an American, this concept is so foreign to us. For any sporting event you can buy a ticket from anyone, no matter if they are a ST holder or a broker. There are hundreds of sites that sell tickets to every game imaginable.

I’m not saying either way is superior, it’s just interesting how different the systems are.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No sympathy whatsoever here. Touting at its most obvious. And a ****ing raffle for tickets? I really feel for anyone who would get done genuinely offloading to a family or friend member. These no? Nah. Having like many spent hours on phones waiting at number X in a queue for an event, not getting one, then seeing tickets for sale at an stupid price. Well good. **** em. I'd be surprised if more than a couple of these were not sold at a profit and innocently/naively passed to family or friends.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This is why I no longer give my season ticket to mates if I can't make a game, especially if they support the away team. I know the likelihood of being "caught" doing it is very low, but it's a risk I'm just not prepared to take. I'm missing the Fulham match due to holiday and my step-daughters boyfriend is a Fulham fan who'd love my ticket, but he's not getting it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This is why I no longer give my season ticket to mates if I can't make a game, especially if they support the away team. I know the likelihood of being "caught" doing it is very low, but it's a risk I'm just not prepared to take. I'm missing the Fulham match due to holiday and my step-daughters boyfriend is a Fulham fan who'd love my ticket, but he's not getting it.

Fair enough unfortunately it's genuine people like yourself that suffer and why we can't have a ticket exchange for grown ups cos a few tossers spoil it for everyone.

(Suffer probably too strong but you know what I mean)

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
The fact that the appeal was unsuccessful suggests that these tickets were touted and there was proof beyond the ID not matching eg social media posts with name/phone number/email addy linked to someone on their season ticket holder database

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

An effective ticket exchange, with a decent financial (cash) incentive to the s/t holder not going to the match, would help.

There are many no-shows at Amex matches, although less than some other PL teams at the moment, the numbers could be reduced.

At the same time giving the chance for others to see matches.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I may be wrong but isn't that different? The Argus articles seem to be about touting - i.e. selling your ticket; whereas what Man Utd seem to have done is stop you passing it on, even if no money has changed hands ??

where do you suppose the touts get their supply of tickets for away end?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm all for clamping down on ticket touts but have no problem someone passing on a ticket to a mate or family member.

If I had an away ticket and couldn't go, I would have no hesitation passing it on at face value. Not that I can think of a time that this has ever actually happened. Same for a home match, although I wouldn't expect to be paid.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I should add that I have no sympathy for Manchester United fans as they are Manchester United fans (or probably tourists).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
An effective ticket exchange, with a decent financial (cash) incentive to the s/t holder not going to the match, would help.

There are many no-shows at Amex matches, although less than some other PL teams at the moment, the numbers could be reduced.

At the same time giving the chance for others to see matches.

We have a ticket exchange for cash now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Pretty sure there is no issue sharing your ST with friends - the club has said it will turn a blind eye, has it not? Sure there are loads of people who have shared STs anyway.

We have this. I sold mine for the Manure game. Worked like a dream.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't see that United have done anything wrong here at all, personally.

I don't either. Passing your tickets to friends is one thing but making them available to touts - which is what's happened here - is another. Well done to United for clamping down on it

N17

Jun 21, 2011
I wish Spurs would do it.

Fans with no intention of going to certain away games still apply in order to get the loyalty points and thus keep themselves in pole position for any tickets they may need in the future.

If Spurs did a crack down, fans lower down the LP list would have a chance of getting away tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here