Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Being called ' Mate'. When is it ok?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You most likely don't like it because of a socially learned feeling of superiority you have over shopworkers, bar staff and waiters.

When someone calls another person 'mate' they are expressing a desire to form a bond with a fellow human being, in a very British way. It's usually a very positive social interaction, so it's a shame that you dislike it, or that you feel you are superior to them, purely on the basis that they are people working in these types of jobs.

If they were working in professions that you respected more, then you would surely not feel such contempt towards them calling you 'mate'.

I think you should reflect on this, and consider that we are all equal despite the professions that we have. Perhaps them calling you 'mate' is a compliment that you are worthy of their empathy.. and maybe consider calling them 'mate' back. It might make them feel good.

what a load of new age chuffing ballocks
I have worked in a shop, a bar and a restaurant,
I never ever called a customer mate as i was fortunate enough to receive good training.

"socially learned feeling of superiority" my arse

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I never ever called a customer mate as i was fortunate enough to receive good training.

You were obviously very well trained in how to make your mouth noises. Congrats, mate.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Look out the offended brigade are out.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
You most likely don't like it because of a socially learned feeling of superiority you have over shopworkers, bar staff and waiters.

When someone calls another person 'mate' they are expressing a desire to form a bond with a fellow human being, in a very British way. It's usually a very positive social interaction, so it's a shame that you dislike it, or that you feel you are superior to them, purely on the basis that they are people working in these types of jobs.

If they were working in professions that you respected more, then you would surely not feel such contempt towards them calling you 'mate'.

I think you should reflect on this, and consider that we are all equal despite the professions that we have. Perhaps them calling you 'mate' is a compliment that you are worthy of their empathy.. and maybe consider calling them 'mate' back. It might make them feel good.

Uncomfortably, I think you have a point.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Christ on a bike, don’t ever come to Australia then, even the doctor here called me mate while he was examining me!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can be a bit knobby for total strangers, although not the worst. Personally I don't much care for 'pal', especially when said in a very passive aggressive way. Seems to be used as a default by a lot of people at work.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Personally the only time I dont think its acceptable is when a parent calls their kid 'mate'. No he/she isnt your 'mate' they are your child and teach them some respect for parents and others. Cannot stand that. Starts there and then you get them treating teachers as mates and then the law and thats a downward spirial from there. Call a lot of people 'mate' I meet but never ever my kids. Love them to bits, but they arent my 'mate', their my kids and that is a lot more to me than a 'mate'.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Trained inferiority complex. punish:

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Are you sure she really is an Irish nurse :wink:

Someone just photoshopped a model in a nurse's Halloween costume to be draped in the Saltire of St. Patrick, and sent it along with the word "catfish" for the win.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here