Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Say it ain't so Lewis!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
View attachment 90905

Switzerland was too peaceful for Lewis but he opted for Monaco, one of the dullest places I've even visited

It's quite appropriate though isn't it. LH tries so desperately hard to be "cool" all the time but he just isn't and never will be.

He always reminds me of the geeky kid at school who thinks that buying a leather jacket and sunglasses will suddenly transform him into a sex god. It doesn't work Lewis, private jet or no private jet.

Great driver though and I'll still support him, but if you can afford to pay £16m for a jet then you can afford to pay the VAT.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bottom line is that if Lewis had asked his accountant whether he could get the VAT back on his jet and the answer had been "No" then he'd still have purchased it anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Let's be honest, given the chance most people on here wouldn't do it any differently, if they had that sort of money.
Hamilton might be British, but not most of his earnings are from working abroad, as there's only one Grand Prix in England a year.
So what has got to do with him registering his plane in a place he doesn't work at all ?

A place where they obviously take a blind eye to whether it's a business plane or one for personal use ?

The sums involved are insignificant to him. Abject greed.

I did laugh at the usual I am responsible for employment excuse. That's right your employees are making up the shortfall...

Personally I'd make these people pay per use for all the things fair taxation pays for.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He lives in Monaco, not the UK.

Obviously, but the programme was mostly about people who don't.

The fuss seems to be that he hasn't paid enough tax on this because he is British by birth

It isn't. It's about him buying a Jet in Canada and importing into Europe via a very questionable Isle of Man scheme to reclaim the VAT.

If ordering an item from another country to the one you live in, and if there was the legal opportunity to reduce or completely get rid of the tax element of the bill that goes to the country it was brought it from, why wouldn't you do it?

You obviously didn't watch the programme,

Import tax into the Isle of Man is the same as the UK and because of our customs agreement anything being imported into the Isle of Man is effectively imported into the UK and into Europe.

The advisors set up a web of companies to make it appear that the Jet didn't belong to him but in fact leased from another company.

The custom officials are supposedly there to check all this out as they would in the UK.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's a good article. I enjoy watching Hamilton race and he is by far and away the best of his generation but Defoe with what he has done away from his sport comes closer to the definition of hero.

How can an article that totally ignores Hamilton’s charitable support, (including Great Ormond Street, UNICEF, Honeypot and Children of Africa), as well as his numerous personal charitable works and of course the Lewis Hamilton Foundation possibly be considered as “good”?

The article not only ignores all the above but in fact claims Hamilton is a ‘taker’ and not a ‘giver’ like Defoe.

I’m sure that Defoe would be the first to say that doing good works is not a competition.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How can an article that totally ignores Hamilton’s charitable support, (including Great Ormond Street, UNICEF, Honeypot and Children of Africa), as well as his numerous personal charitable works and of course the Lewis Hamilton Foundation possibly be considered as “good”?

The article not only ignores all the above but in fact claims Hamilton is a ‘taker’ and not a ‘giver’ like Defoe.

I’m sure that Defoe would be the first to say that doing good works is not a competition.

They're both takers as both keep more than they give away. However when you have the wealth that Hamilton has is it necessary to use tax dodges to keep more?

Hamilton's public profile will take a big hit from the recent revelations. If he wants to change that he needs to get his PR team working overtime.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here