Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
how may players would have to pull out before a Brighton player gets a call I wonder?

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
I have a hunch that Stephens will be called up.

That would be Jack Stephens, the Saints defender and would showcase Southgate's cluelessness.

I could be clutching at straws though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All England managers use that form line but it's total baloney. They all revert to type - reputation and club they play for.

The last manager to pick on form was Sven when he first started and didn't know England players very well which is how Chris Powell and Gavin McCann ended up in the England squad.

Yet that is exactly what Alf Ramsey did, and look what happened there. The press were slating him for his choices, especially dropping Jimmy Greaves after his comeback from injury.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Like the Premier League, it's a highly pressured results business and a manager at International level will go for tried and trusted every time (especially this close to a major international competition) as they know that it's their job and reputation on the line and it's a situation that's not helped by having a press and media that turns very quickly on managers if things start to go wrong and fans who pay little attention to qualifying (unless it goes badly) and then think we should be easy winners once the tournament starts and anything less is a disaster

This is true. But we know as an absolute fact that England will not be good enough to get anywhere in the World Cup with the players who played in the qualifiers.

Does anyone on here really think that an England with the likes of Cahill, Henderson and Keane would have the remotest chance? We have some quality in Kane, Alli and Rashford but they need support from other up and coming players the opposition will know little about. Rather than pick average players who happen to be at big clubs, I really don't see what Southgate has got to lose by picking young, hungry players in and coming teams.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Ian Wright was say on the Monday Night club that Dunk should have been brought in front of Michael Keane. It would be great to see Dunk given the chance but would he cope being in a back three?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I presume it's been mentioned on this thread that Southgate is Palace.....and maybe not as forgiving as Ian Wright.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I think it is more down to Keane having more Premier League experience that led to him being picked.

That said, if there are Championship players good enough, then pick them.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Lewis Cook and Solanke have now been drafted into the squad. 4 premier league starts between them. Dunk has played in every match yet completely overlooked. England are a shambles.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Southgate obviously hasnt seen Dunk play! And can someone remind me, how did Gareth get the England job? What are his credentials in football management? Or was it a case of nobody of note wanted to work for the richest,farcical English FA.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Lewis Cook and Solanke have now been drafted into the squad. 4 premier league starts between them. Dunk has played in every match yet completely overlooked. England are a shambles.

I doubt he ever sees a game that isn't 'top 6', so he might watch us at OT or when Liverpool come to town.
Lewis Cook's goal at Newcastle will be the only reason he's been called up.

Solanke? Really? Sainsburys will be giving caps away with 200 Necter points soon. Playing for England has been completely de-valued, it start with that tosser Erikson and has steadily got worse.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here