Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley 7th - no great shakes?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Burnley are just Wimbledon of the 80s. It proves you can survive playing like that and I don't mind that type of football but eventually those sides do go down. I recall Alan Kimble saying that to me and he was a Wimbledon player just before they went down
I thought that Wimbledon's demise from the PL had a lot to do with appointing the Norwegian manager (Olsen) who wanted to change their style into playing 'proper football' - or more sophisticated football anyway - rather than playing it the 'Wimbledon way'. After 13 years in the PL/1st. division he came in for the 14th season and promptly got them relegated.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Burnley are just Wimbledon of the 80s. It proves you can survive playing like that and I don't mind that type of football but eventually those sides do go down. I recall Alan Kimble saying that to me and he was a Wimbledon player just before they went down

If you’re going to name drop at least mention someone we’ve heard of.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
In the league of 14, there are only 3 teams that I really can't see us finishing above being Burnley, Southampton and Leicester. I would be happy with 2 draws versus Burnley this season.

I agree about Leicester - they've got some quality players and a good manager now so expect them to finish high up.

I really think we should be aspiring to finish above Southampton and Burnley though, they are both really average sides. Burnley's strength is their manager but he is going to continually be linked with other jobs which might destabilise them and there are a lot of question marks about the Southampton manager. VVD is still also desperate to get away which he might do in January and losing him would be a massive loss for them. If he's forced to stay but acts like a spoiled brat that's not going to help them either.

IMO we've got one of the best managers in the league and some quality players including one of the best defences in the division. After this solid start and some strengthening in January, I really believe the top 10 is achievable.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
If winning a match can ever be bad for a team then last night's win for Burnley was it.

Taking them to 7th is a good as it gets for them (as it would be for us), and Dyche is at that point in his career where his stock is as high as it can get at Burnley. If he passes up the opportunity to manage Everton he may not get another chance at such a big British club.

If he leaves then where next for Burnley? Dyche and his side have been through much together, his boots will not be easy to fill. Crucially, will he take Burnley players with him in the January window?

No...Dyche should have quit Burnley at 4pm on August 12, 2017 - the Clarets were 3-0 up away to champions Chelsea and TOP of an "as it stands" league table.

It's been all downhill since half-time at Stamford Bridge and I doubt SD will ever be top of the Premier League again.

***As for taking Burnley players in January, why would the Burnley board need to sell? They are minted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No...Dyche should have quit Burnley at 4pm on August 12, 2017 - the Clarets were 3-0 up away to champions Chelsea and TOP of an "as it stands" league table.

It's been all downhill since half-time at Stamford Bridge and I doubt SD will ever be top of the Premier League again.

***As for taking Burnley players in January, why would the Burnley board need to sell? They are minted.

Nobody takes any notice of the table after one game but after 10 is a different matter. And as for not needing to sell, I could see a few might have their heads turned. Players like Defour and Mee would improve Everton.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Nobody takes any notice of the table after one game but after 10 is a different matter. And as for not needing to sell, I could see a few might have their heads turned. Players like Defour and Mee would improve Everton.

The bit about being top in August was meant to be "tongue in cheek" but you seem to have taken my post seriously.:wink:

No doubt Mee and Defour (and a few others like Cork who has been our stand-out player just ahead of Defour) would improve Everton but they are under contract at Burnley who have NO need to sell even if Dyche would want them to join him. It would be like the Dale Stephens scenario when he wanted to join Burnley in August 2016 but his transfer request was rejected.

There is more chance of Dunk or Duffy leaving than Mee...this season. Next season might be a different story, however.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bit about being top in August was meant to be "tongue in cheek" but you seem to have taken my post seriously.:wink:

No doubt Mee and Defour (and a few others like Cork who has been our stand-out player just ahead of Defour) would improve Everton but they are under contract at Burnley who have NO need to sell even if Dyche would want them to join him. It would be like the Dale Stephens scenario when he wanted to join Burnley in August 2016 but his transfer request was rejected.

There is more chance of Dunk or Duffy leaving than Mee...this season. Next season might be a different story, however.

Stephens was retained because the chairman reasoned with him we'd get promoted and without him we might not. Why take £10 mill and forego ten times that amount if you don't get promoted?

Anyway, I see Allardyce is favourite for the Everton job now - you must be pleased about that!

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Stephens was retained because the chairman reasoned with him we'd get promoted and without him we might not. Why take £10 mill and forego ten times that amount if you don't get promoted?

Anyway, I see Allardyce is favourite for the Everton job now - you must be pleased about that!

Bookies odds mean nothing at the moment - I still think we'll lose Dyche but not any players transferred before the end of the season.

You are right about the chairman persuading Stephens to give 100% one more season but NO Brighton fan has denied the player made a late transfer request because he fancied a move to Burnley in August 2016.

It's worked out well for Brighton & Stephens but no promotion would have lost Bloom about £7 million if DS had run down his contract. The gambler won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here