Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Apparently a new album called 'Luciferian Tower' is coming out in September. So there should be a new setlist for this tour.

Ah. I didn't know that and it will probably swing it. So it's cheers from me and a big :facepalm: from my bank account.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm just recovering from the rather fun 3 evening Pop-Kultur festival at a huge cultural centre in a former brewery close to work. It's a mix of music, music related talks, art and exhibitions and is now in its third year and third location and continues to grow. We took flight on Thursday night though to see the excellent Ty Segal at a separate event.

Other gigs lined up are a triple bill of Forest Swords, EMA and Blanck Mass. Then Gorillas, Nick Cave, Wevel, Justice, Algiers, War on Drugs but Billy Bragg now clashes with Brighton Palace. Brighton or Bragg was a close call but Comrade Bragg just missed out.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm just recovering from the rather fun 3 evening Pop-Kultur festival at a huge cultural centre in a former brewery close to work. It's a mix of music, music related talks, art and exhibitions and is now in its third year and third location and continues to grow. We took flight on Thursday night though to see the excellent Ty Segal at a separate event.

Other gigs lined up are a triple bill of Forest Swords, EMA and Blanck Mass. Then Gorillas, Nick Cave, Wevel, Justice, Algiers, War on Drugs but Billy Bragg now clashes with Brighton Palace. Brighton or Bragg was a close call but Comrade Bragg just missed out.

Some great music coming up. Are you seeing EMA in Brighton?. I was hoping for a better venue than Sticky Mikes- her new album is excellent. Seeing Interpol play Turn On The Bright Lights Friday night. Also coming up Girl Ray, Metronomy, Faust ( although this is the night before Man U away) and Vic Goddard

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Was a little disappointed by Ty Segall when I saw him at Pukkelpop last week. But then I was coming off a triple high of having seen PJ Harvey, Strand of Oaks, and Interpol (playing TOTBL) immediately beforehand.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Seeing Interpol play Turn On The Bright Lights Friday night.

As in the previous post, saw Interpol play TOTBL last week, and I'm seeing them do it again tomorrow night in Tilburg. Hearing it all played live in a row just reminded me of what a great album it really is. Not a duff tune on there.

Talking of great albums, I'll be seeing Leftfield playing all of Leftism in October. Also got Sparks, Public Service Broadcasting and Depeche Mode lined up.

The last and only other time I saw Depeche Mode live was more than 36 years ago. They were a bunch of cherubic looking kids with synths supporting Psychedelic Furs at the Hammersmith Palais. They'd just released New Life as a single and made their TOTP debut around the same time. Think they may have grown up a bit since then... (Mind you, so have I...)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some great music coming up. Are you seeing EMA in Brighton?. I was hoping for a better venue than Sticky Mikes- her new album is excellent. Seeing Interpol play Turn On The Bright Lights Friday night. Also coming up Girl Ray, Metronomy, Faust ( although this is the night before Man U away) and Vic Goddard

Nope, it's at Berghain in Berlin and she's part of an interesting triple bill Forest Swords and Blanck Mass. I've heard lots of great reports of her new album. Must buy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was a little disappointed by Ty Segall when I saw him at Pukkelpop last week. But then I was coming off a triple high of having seen PJ Harvey, Strand of Oaks, and Interpol (playing TOTBL) immediately beforehand.

Interesting. Why was he disappointing? Was it a festival set?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As in the previous post, saw Interpol play TOTBL last week, and I'm seeing them do it again tomorrow night in Tilburg. Hearing it all played live in a row just reminded me of what a great album it really is. Not a duff tune on there.

Talking of great albums, I'll be seeing Leftfield playing all of Leftism in October. Also got Sparks, Public Service Broadcasting and Depeche Mode lined up.

The last and only other time I saw Depeche Mode live was more than 36 years ago. They were a bunch of cherubic looking kids with synths supporting Psychedelic Furs at the Hammersmith Palais. They'd just released New Life as a single and made their TOTP debut around the same time. Think they may have grown up a bit since then... (Mind you, so have I...)

Really looking forward to Interpol. Am guessing they will play some other tracks too? Such a great album- I went to see them at The Freebut when they first started out- demand was so great for tickets it was upgraded to Hove Market Place. Now they can sell out Alexandra Palace!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Really looking forward to Interpol. Am guessing they will play some other tracks too? Such a great album- I went to see them at The Freebut when they first started out- demand was so great for tickets it was upgraded to Hove Market Place. Now they can sell out Alexandra Palace!

Last week we only got two other songs but that was a festival, so time restricted to a one-hour set. Looking at their theatre setlists they start with four or five 'greatest hits', then play the album, then more in the encore(s).

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Interesting. Why was he disappointing? Was it a festival set?

I guess it was more straight out rock than I was hoping for, with fewer of the Zappa-esque twiddly flourishes that I hear on his records. But it was probably also partly to do with it being late at night after a long day on the beer, and me coming down off a PJ Harvey high. She was, quite frankly, astonishing. Far exceeded my hopes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess it was more straight out rock than I was hoping for, with fewer of the Zappa-esque twiddly flourishes that I hear on his records. But it was probably also partly to do with it being late at night after a long day on the beer, and me coming down off a PJ Harvey high. She was, quite frankly, astonishing. Far exceeded my hopes.

Fair enough. I saw PJ last year and she was very very good in a goosebumps-at-times way.

Oh, I'm seeing Mode again in Jan. Forgot about that.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Nope, it's at Berghain in Berlin and she's part of an interesting triple bill Forest Swords and Blanck Mass. I've heard lots of great reports of her new album. Must buy it.

I was not a huge fan of The Futures Void album but Exile is superb.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

Last week we only got two other songs but that was a festival, so time restricted to a one-hour set. Looking at their theatre setlists they start with four or five 'greatest hits', then play the album, then more in the encore(s).

They've flipped the set over since 10 days ago. They now play the album first +1, then an extended encore that is in effect a second set. Works better that way around in my opinion.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
They've flipped the set over since 10 days ago. They now play the album first +1, then an extended encore that is in effect a second set. Works better that way around in my opinion.

Thanks. It's the album I'm looking forward to hearing most. Any idea on who is supporting?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Thanks. It's the album I'm looking forward to hearing most. Any idea on who is supporting?

We had a local band called Nouveau Vélo. They weren't bad - a little bit like Diiv - but are extremely unlikely to be playing any of the other dates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here