Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
At least the EU remembered Gibraltar.

Whilst conveniently not mentioning Franco's left-overs in Africa.Morocco have frequently asked for them to be returned,but been ignored.Perhaps they could offer membership to Morocco to replace Great Britain?No,probably not,they would spoil the group photos.

whiteclub.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are not a country like Portugal who would not offer anything and is a net taker. We, with Germany are the big beasts of Europe and will have some clout in negotiations. It is not Europe who holds the Aces.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The EU has just told May how the talks will be conducted. I guess her success in negotiating them back onto something resembling what she was planning will be an early indicator of the UK's clout?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The EU has just told May how the talks will be conducted. I guess her success in negotiating them back onto something resembling what she was planning will be an early indicator of the "UK's worth?"

Again you have given the EU's response more credence than the UK's trigger letter, as if the EU is the soul arbiter of future outcomes, its not just your reasoned view it seems to be your preferred outcome which by default could harm the UK, it just seems strange to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Again you have given the EU's response more credence than the UK's trigger letter, as if the EU is the soul arbiter of future outcomes, its not just your reasoned view it seems to be your preferred outcome which by default could harm the UK, it just seems strange to me.

As I said, any UK "credence" will be very evident very shortly when they negotiate the talks back to the way May wants them to proceed. This will be an early indicator of the UK's strength. Will it not?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its an obvious trait that the Remainers seem totally unable to formulate the UK's worth, to the point that some on here seem to be on the cusp of being 'anti' UK.

[MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] is a prime example, he somehow expects, accepts even demands that the EU use its power to effect our own negotiating positions, whilst when he might sense some UK brinkmanship he is the first to demean its effectiveness and worth.
I'd ease off on the weed mate if I were you, the paranoia and delusions are starting to show. Get help.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Damn good article.

Well I hope you'll both now agree that The Times is a balanced and open newspaper, open to all views and opinions and generally resistant to warped news coverage. The other day I noticed two stories on a news spread that would cheer the most jaundiced Brexit-supporter. Unfortunately there were another five that were rather depressing.

larus

Personally, I have no problem if the UK want to use it's military support as a bargaining tool in this.

I'm fed up with the EU thinking this is one way (and the usual suspects on here denigrating the UK at every opportunity). Juncker/Tusk can do one - there's no way we will pay a £60b EU bill. If anyone things that is even remotely likely, then I suggest to go and get your head examined.

I know some of the Reaminers seem to think the wahtever the EU says is sacrosanct, but (I'll try to break this gently), it really isn't. It's often just the opinion of one person (maybe the pissed one lol), and that's it.

THe EU need a deal as they also need access to the City for finance. They need the support of the UK armed forces for defence ( strange that no-one has commented about the wealth of Germany yet it's too f*cking tight to spend on defence as long as this is being funded by others).

Ignore all of the bluster so far. There will be compromise and I can't see the UK agreeing to a large settlement figure without clear indication of the trade deal. It's called negotiation and some people need to realise that public statements are intended to impress their own audiences.

This is going to be along 2 years, but even now the EU are saying that it could take 5 before the UK is out of the EU fully.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Stupid comments. I'm sure some Tories would love a military escalation. But it's never going to happen.

What is even more comical is Howard's belief that, if ever such an event occurred, we would stand any chance of defending the Rock against a Western Army based thirty yards away.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit of a Daily Mail thread headline that. All Howard is saying is that we would if it came to it......maybe.

Gib is an odd little place. Like a forgotten 1970s small English town (complete with English phone boxes, post boxes and police uniforms), now a bit over-run with IT geeks running online gaming companies. If they really wanted to the Spanish could make life extremely difficult (more than they do already) for anyone living or working there simply through border and airspace controls.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If they really wanted to the Spanish could make life extremely difficult (more than they do already) for anyone living or working there simply through border and airspace controls.
Like they did before they were members of the EU you mean ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Could not believe I was reading that.

Actually, it should be compulsory to interview him every day and give his views the widest-possible coverage.

Meanwhile, I see that Aaron Banks, super-rich city boy and all-round UKIP and Leave campaign funder, reckons that hard times are now round the corner and is intending to put spare dosh into gold. People who listened to him last time round might like to heed his advice again - 'shelter your spare assets in gold, boys - you know it makes sense.' No spare assets? Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here