Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The gospel is spreading. I was in Caen last week, and I enjoyed a nice chewy, hoppy blonde brewed by Brasserie de l'Odon, in nearby Aunay sur Odon. It was on draught and came in at 6.2%, and was quite distinctive from the Belgian style beers you get in northern France. I was impressed, and this is an area more renowned for cider and calvados

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The gospel is spreading. I was in Caen last week, and I enjoyed a nice chewy, hoppy blonde brewed by Brasserie de l'Odon, in nearby Aunay sur Odon. It was on draught and came in at 6.2%, and was quite distinctive from the Belgian style beers you get in northern France. I was impressed, and this is an area more renowned for cider and calvados

Excellent news. I was in The 3 Valleys a couple of weeks back and found some local alpine craft plus a pub with two taps of Bermondsey based FourPure. If you can convince the French you're well on your way!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two things

1) I am drinking a can of Brodie's Jamaican Stout, a truly great Stout. Well toasty and hopped with a hint of creaminess. Really nice.
2) Mikkeller opens here on the 18th March with, get this, a free bar. Food is by my favourite gastro pub as well.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Excellent news. I was in The 3 Valleys a couple of weeks back and found some local alpine craft plus a pub with two taps of Bermondsey based FourPure. If you can convince the French you're well on your way!

And as you are aware, there is an excellent brewery near my place in the French Pyrenees (I am opening a bnb there this summer, www.revesdecols.com for anyone interested in a FANTASTIC holiday :smile:). It's run by British guys, but still, it's in France, and it is gaining in popularity, supplying many places in Toulouse.

http://www.brasserieduquercorb.com/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And as you are aware, there is an excellent brewery near my place in the French Pyrenees (I am opening a bnb there this summer, www.revesdecols.com for anyone interested in a FANTASTIC holiday :smile:). It's run by British guys, but still, it's in France, and it is gaining in popularity, supplying many places in Toulouse.

http://www.brasserieduquercorb.com/

Hoping to come over late summer. We can discuss next time we meet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside tonight it's the 3rd round of a British versus German beer contest I help organise. It's tied 1-1 and tonight it's the deciding round and I'm pitting 3 British craft pilsners against 3 German pils.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As an aside tonight it's the 3rd round of a British versus German beer contest I help organise. It's tied 1-1 and tonight it's the deciding round and I'm pitting 3 British craft pilsners against 3 German pils.

Looking forward to the team news. Can German pilsner be beaten?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Is it British craft Pilsner in the sense that it's brewed by a British brewery?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Guys, I have done you proud. I have brought home the cup!! The U.K. won!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6216.JPG
    IMG_6216.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 191

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to the team news. Can German pilsner be beaten?

Team news:

Germany - Rothaus, Flensburger, Wickuler

Britain - Brewdog Kingpin, Five Points pils, Meantime Pils

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it British craft Pilsner in the sense that it's brewed by a British brewery?

Exactly. I've pasted the victorious team above. Meantime won. Interestingly we have had three rounds and Meantime has won twice now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was a proper scientific trial as well

Technical details:

Sponsor: Herr Tubthumper
Coordinator: Dr XXXX (don't want to name her but she's a notable statistician at Charite)
Trial: Single blinded 6x6 Latin square trial.
Software: SAS v9.4

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone use untappd? What usernames do you use?

Craft Beer Co got some interesting beers on at the moment. A few local beers. Brewery from Firle , another from Heathfield.

Jul 7, 2003
Had a very nice Saison from The Kernel brewery whilst in Nottingham yesterday. Was more of a sour than a hoppy saison - similar to the Burning Sky Printemps - but very refreshing. Shame we chose to leave avery good craft beer bar and head to the City Ground.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Does anyone use untappd? What usernames do you use?

Craft Beer Co got some interesting beers on at the moment. A few local beers. Brewery from Firle , another from Heathfield.
We're at Craft on Thursday 23rd launching our new DIPA if you're around....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We're at Craft on Thursday 23rd launching our new DIPA if you're around....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately in the US that week... let me know if you have anymore planned in the future

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone doing be Brighton Tap Takeover this weekend? Looks quite good so might check it out after the game Saturday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here