Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Professional Gardeners

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do indeed.

Lawn mowing I wouldn't quote an hourly rate....three lawnmowers plus strimmer and not cheap equipment.. ..then its a question of how long the grass is...will it be regular work or one off..do they want grass taking away ..how far away...bit of pruning work is a bit vague ..again for me i have some decent equipment that can do a job efficiently and quick....etc etc ...its never an easy answer when someone rings and asks about prices.

If you can find some semi retired chap or someone doing a bit of private work and they will want cash in hand then its always going to be cheaper ..

Interesting, so how would you quote? Contract over a few months with lawn kept short and all shrubs, trees, weeding done on a regular basis as required?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I do indeed.

Lawn mowing I wouldn't quote an hourly rate....three lawnmowers plus strimmer and not cheap equipment.. ..then its a question of how long the grass is...will it be regular work or one off..do they want grass taking away ..how far away...bit of pruning work is a bit vague ..again for me i have some decent equipment that can do a job efficiently and quick....etc etc ...its never an easy answer when someone rings and asks about prices.

If you can find some semi retired chap or someone doing a bit of private work and they will want cash in hand then its always going to be cheaper ..

The OP has asked for a professional :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So say you get someone on an hourly rate of £15 then you are asking him to cut it for a fiver...good on them if they want to do it for that :)

Plenty of other things to do to keep them here at least an hour every time the lawn is cut. I don' t expect someone to travel to me for 10 to 20 mins and then just get paid for 20 mins work :rolleyes:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting, so how would you quote? Contract over a few months with lawn kept short and all shrubs, trees, weeding done on a regular basis as required?

I'd always want to see the job....you would never want to put the customer off by being evasive...(which is what it sounds like)...also i wouldn't want to waste there time...but its always have a look and try to build a relationship with the customer...after all you are going to work on there property..in many cases unattended...i\ve come unstuck a few times when i first started by quoting unseen

D

Deleted member 2719

Good point but I know it takes no longer than 20 mins to cut my lawn!

Would you allow the time taken for the person to get the mower off trailer/van, drink your tea and then chat the time of day, cos that's where most of the costs are???

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
IG if you get stuck or want to bounce a price off me etc just pm i'll try to help ..oh and let me know roughly where you are

D

Deleted member 2719

LOL No :)

Hayter rear roller for posh lawns ...Etesia as me work horse and a Toro for the rough stuff

I used to have a couple of Hayters after the Honda's gearboxes f**k up, been on many a Toro but in the Greenkeeping world.

Hope you keeping those stripes nice and straight!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was doing a private job 2 years ago, mainly cutting the grass but a bit of hedge cutting and weeding for a rich old lady and i was charging £13 an hour but i was using her mower and my hand tools.

I assume you've declared this to the tax-man :whistle:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've been looking for someone reliable for ages and haven't got anywhere,

If anyone of NSC offers a garden maintenance service I'd be keen to know more. I have a small front garden and a decent sized back garden and simply don't have the time to put into it. Would be keen to get quotes for various bits and pieces. Based in Peacehaven.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

If anyone of NSC offers a garden maintenance service I'd be keen to know more. I have a small front garden and a decent sized back garden and simply don't have the time to put into it. Would be keen to get quotes for various bits and pieces. Based in Peacehaven.

If you don't get any replies from Albion fans I know someone in Peacehaven that may be able to help with this.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Is your garden laid out in such a way that there is minimal maintenance? Before spending money on regular maintenance, it may be worth considering spending a bit to change the lay out to save money on maintenance or even to reduce it so that it's easy to do yourself.
I have a lot of time on my hands now, having retired after working for 44 years in horticulture.
I am prepared to offer free consultancy to any NSC contributors who might want to risk the benefit of my experience and knowledge, which may be of value?
If you live within 10 miles or so of Brighton, just PM if you're interested. I'd be glad to help.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've got a large garden that needs looking at Uncle Jack. Maybe you need to pop in for coffee this week :banana:

Will do. I'll give you a ring on Monday. Put kettle on Chuck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here