Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton Out

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
4 goals in 12 games. One of which was an own goal, and one a penalty.

No change in tactics at any point, except to get even more defensive. Hughton has been playing for 0-0 for three months, he has 'succeeded' five times, I'm sure he is very happy. Personally I am not sure I can watch this football for an entire season. Remember when people complained that Oscar played boring football?

Oscar did one hell of a good job for us. You have to lose someone before you miss them.
I quite like this changing manager mid-season malarkey. Hughton should have until early December to prove himself. If that doesn't work out, get Nathan in for a few games, see if that works out and, if not, get a replacement in before the new year for the January transfer window.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stayed up comfortably? We have stayed up by the skin of our teeth with no wins in the last how many games, 2 goals in 9 one of which an og. We stayed up because the teams below us somehow contrived to be worse not because of any tactical decisions by Hughton.

People acting on here like he has saved us, well it weren't no Slade Great Escape that's for sure!!

Actually, we had enough points to stay up (as it turned out) with eight games to go. That is pretty comfortable. To call it skin of our teeth, we'd have to have had a realistic chance of going down on the last game, which we didn't. That might be more down to other team's incompetence than our quality but when you've got no strikers who can score, it is very difficult to be a manager!

He did save us. Admittedly it wasn't in the last few games, it was with the wins against Ipswich, Birmingham, Derby and Leeds at home (remember when we won four out of five at home, a run Hyypia could only dream of).

Feb 14, 2010
Both hypia and ch managed with players they didnt choose. Both showed they were poor at it. In the summer a squad will be assembled by the manager, so no excuses next season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Hyypia was an unfortunate mistake, and can understand Tony Bloom appointing someone like Hughton with a decent CV at this level - and ought to be a safe pair of hands.

Yes Hughton achieved his first objective in keeping us up however I don't suppose Tony will be too impressed that our fate was uncomfortably close to being in other teams hands. Too many recent games were within our grasp but IMO Hughton failed to seize the opportunities. We were too nice and too soft.

I know he had the virtually same squad but Hughton did not create a significant upturn in their performances. No one exactly tearing up trees or running through brick walls for him. Too many other teams looked hungrier than us. He certainly didn't inspire the goal scoring habit to drag us away from the relegation fight, let along get us into mid table. So there are questions.

However I hope that a combination of decent recruitment and a proper pre-season (without any managerial shenanigans) will give us a chance to fight for at least the top 10 next season.

Yes, I do have concerns about his style of play - and he needs to rebuild my sense of anticipation for Albion games - but I'll judge Hughton at Xmas.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair, that's not always true. We played really well against Leeds and Ipswich for example. We lost our way in the last month but we had very limited options. Losing both Baldock and March meant our limited attacking options were even more limited.

I'm not saying Hughton is perfect and guaranteeing things will change next season. However, he's kept us up and deserves the chance to build a new squad in the summer. Whether that works, none of us know but I really think changing manager now would be madness (especially given the last two per seasons we've had).

This is where I am too. Got to give him some money, a summer window, a full pre-season and at least till Christmas to see whether he's going to cut it. Another unsettled summer would be a disaster (and whilst we created chances with more 'attractive' football under Sami, we would have gone down for sure)

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Well what has he proven - other than he is an average manager at best?

He's proved its quite hard to keep a team up when you inherit a poor one, but somehow managed it! He has also shown he knows a good player when he se's one in Kayal, and in not playing best, he can see when he has tried someone and got it wrong. Time to move on, get some decent champ players in and see how we go until Christmas. If by then we are still average lets chat again. Until then FFS get behind your team

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
4 goals in 12 games. One of which was an own goal, and one a penalty.

No change in tactics at any point, except to get even more defensive. Hughton has been playing for 0-0 for three months, he has 'succeeded' five times, I'm sure he is very happy. Personally I am not sure I can watch this football for an entire season. Remember when people complained that Oscar played boring football?

Oscar was very much a case of you don't know what you've got till its gone (for some, I was gutted when he left and probably still am)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Do you seriously think he's worse than Hyypia? Seriously? Were you at Derby or the Millwall home game? Points per game under Hyypia, we've have gone down. We've stayed up quite comfortably in the end. It's post like this that make you realise how clueless our fans are. No team can be mid table with the strikers we have. The rest of the squad is mid table probably but with strikers who can't score, you're very likely to go down and Hughton's ensure we haven't. He's done his job!

Hyypia tried to instill the attacking footballing mentality that clubs need for promotion. The players let him down not his style. I have always said I liked what he was trying to do and wish he had more time here. He came when we didn’t even have a squad ready at the start of the season and we were always going to be the toughest job in the Championship. I can't see us getting out of the league under Hughton and he had better get off to a better start next season than the way he finished this, as he will have no excuses not to.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He's proved its quite hard to keep a team up when you inherit a poor one, but somehow managed it! He has also shown he knows a good player when he se's one in Kayal, and in not playing best, he can see when he has tried someone and got it wrong. Time to move on, get some decent champ players in and see how we go until Christmas. If by then we are still average lets chat again. Until then FFS get behind your team

How come Hyypia was never allowed that excuse :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Um, [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] isn't an Albion fan.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How come Hyypia was never allowed that excuse :shrug:

Because Hughton did keep us up. Hyypia was failing to do so (and miserably).

Completely disagree about Hyypia. He had no common sense and kept playing the wrong players (e.g. sticking with Forster-Caskey and Gardner over Holla and Ince). He made good players worse and failed to inspire the fans or players. Hughton is in a completely different league in terms of management but with the strikers we have, Hughton has done all he can. Who he signs and how they do will decide on whether he stays here in the long term or is out by Christmas.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hughton out = very silly suggestion at this stage.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Because Hughton did keep us up. Hyypia was failing to do so (and miserably).

Completely disagree about Hyypia. He had no common sense and kept playing the wrong players (e.g. sticking with Forster-Caskey and Gardner over Holla and Ince). He made good players worse and failed to inspire the fans or players. Hughton is in a completely different league in terms of management but with the strikers we have, Hughton has done all he can. Who he signs and how they do will decide on whether he stays here in the long term or is out by Christmas.

Hughton bringing on Tilley with 5 seconds to go is piss poor. If a manager can't even take a risk in a nothing game, how will they do in an important one? The first 10 games under Hyypia was better than the last 10 under Hughton. At first I dismissed the Norwich fans opinion of him but I am swinging towards their view myself now.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Oscar did one hell of a good job for us. You have to lose someone before you miss them.
I quite like this changing manager mid-season malarkey. Hughton should have until early December to prove himself. If that doesn't work out, get Nathan in for a few games, see if that works out and, if not, get a replacement in before the new year for the January transfer window.

Oscar signed Agustien didn't he?
He also had Ulloa, Upson and Ward in the team. So he should have done better than we have this season ffs.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hughton bringing on Tilley with 5 seconds to go is piss poor. If a manager can't even take a risk in a nothing game, how will they do in an important one? The first 10 games under Hyypia was better than the last 10 under Hughton. At first I dismissed the Norwich fans opinion of him but I am swinging towards their view myself now.

So, you compare Hughton's worse ten games (when limited attacking options were reduced further with both Baldock and March out) compared to Hyypia's best ten.

Whatever you say about Hyypia, his last 18 games only produced one win. That is terrible. He only won three from 22 in total. Hughton won six in 22. Not great but a lot better.

The Tilley thing is odd but if he's as piss poor as you say, he wouldn't even have taken him to the game. If he'd brought him on earlier and Tilley had made an error to lose us the game, a lot of people (almost certainly including you) would have slagged off Hughton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here