Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Final nail in the coffin for “I can’t get away tickets”

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Because he/she has a season ticket. The number of people attending all the home games on a game by game basis is FAR outnumbered by those who have a ST. And if someone wants to attend all home games they are daft to not buy a ST, because it is loads cheaper, and it has perks. And please don't say they may not have the money. Especially if they go to loads of away games too. They are simply not budgeting properly. They have the freedom to improve their place in the queue by buying a ST or not. Their choice.

I didn't say that. I said they could bump up their place in the queue buy buying 'membership'. Obviously I meant versus other people in the same place in the queue. Thus if you are a season ticket holder and go to every away game, you could boot yourself above identical others by paying £20 say. That may be useful in massively oversubscribed games, e.g., away versus a rival for a Uefa cup place late on in the season. Edit: I don't know if the club runs such a scheme, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Well that's their choice. I have a season ticket and I expect to be in front of your mates in a queue for an oversubscribed away game. :shrug:

You say, ‘They have the freedom to improve their place in the queue by buying a ST or not. Their choice.’ - it’s not though, is it?

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
I totally agree with the above.

I live in London have a season ticket and obviously I am miffed when I can't get an away ticket for the London games...

But I totally agree with the priority points system. Some people can't make Rotherham on a Tuesday and the folk who made the effort get priority.

It made me appreciate Stoke away even more last season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You say, ‘They have the freedom to improve their place in the queue by buying a ST or not. Their choice.’ - it’s not though, is it?

Sorry, you have reduced what I said down to such a small edit that it isn't clear what you mean.

If you mean that they would like to buy a ST but cannot due to availability, this has nothing to do with your original point about people choosing to not buy a ST but pay on a game by game basis.

Anyway, pointless I play guessing games - explain what you mean and I'll reply poperly. :thumbsup:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
It'll be interesting to see how Southampton sells in a couple of weeks, as last season even my mate and his dad got tickets with only around 200 points each. Obviously this still required a season ticket, but it just shows that even past half way in the season it's far from impossible to get to an away game without having to travel the length of the country.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
15 minutes after Liverpool away went on sale to anyone with a Bronze membership (annual cost £22), there are still 233 tickets for the game available from the first allocation (ie before returns are processed in the week before the game).

If you want to go to away games, you can.

It’s only if you want to pick the most convenient game for you to attend that you’ll have had to put the hard miles in previously.

That low number is interesting. When it was known that the match had been made 5.30 on a Saturday, loads of regulars said they weren't going (no Virgin trains, etc). Plus a lot of people are away on holiday in late August.

Yet, the bulk of the 2,500 are snapped up, before they get to Bronze members.

Liverpool away's a very long day, or requiring accomodation.

Is it lure of the opposition for some, in the same way as ManU?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It'll be interesting to see how Southampton sells in a couple of weeks, as last season even my mate and his dad got tickets with only around 200 points each. Obviously this still required a season ticket, but it just shows that even past half way in the season it's far from impossible to get to an away game without having to travel the length of the country.

Especially as it's a Monday night and live on TV.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Took almost as long as going to Liverpool to get there though, and it’s on TV. Wouldn’t be surprised if sales are slow.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That low number is interesting. When it was known that the match had been made 5.30 on a Saturday, loads of regulars said they weren't going (no Virgin trains, etc). Plus a lot of people are away on holiday in late August.

I can’t speak for why 2,499 other STH bought their ticket for Liverpool, but for me it’s simply that I try to get to as many games as I can, and I could get to this game so I bought a ticket. However, given we have mid-20k STH, it’s perhaps not that surprising that 10% of them bought a tickets for this game despite all the travel/holiday/on TV issues associated with it - it is, after all, only our second season facing them in the league for decades.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We missed one season so went back to no loyalty points etc
I still managed Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City , Swansea, Watford,Everton away as there are means and ways and it did involve sitting with the opposing fans on a few occasions
This season we are only going to do away games where we sit sit with Albion fans

How did you manage to get Anfield seats last season? Touts or a Thomas Cook package?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Our allocation is 2900 which makes the take up all the more impressive.
It's glass half full or empty though as it's decent turn out from the top tiers and availability for all STH, bronze members and everyone else.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Not for me. I just go to as many games as I can.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Can I say to anyone still thinking about whether to buy or not, Liverpool know how to put on a show outside the ground. There are the obvious things to see, the memorial, gate etc, but there are shows going on all around the ground with bands and DJ's. Get there early and enjoy.

el punal

:lolol: yeah....

Actually now I think of it there was an old bloke at Withdean who had a Barrow (I think) bobble hat (blue and white, at any rate) who used to amuse us with his comments, such as "Oy ref! Its people like you that give b'stards like me a bad name'.

For providing entertainment of such quality his hat was overlooked. May have been different had it been cerise and zaffre stripes, of course.

That reminds me of a chap at the Goldstone. At the top of the East Terrace was an old boy who had the most enormous feet I’ve ever seen. His shoes were the sort that circus clowns wear, i.e. they go on forever. Anyway, at every match, whether we were playing well or badly, he would bellow out his stock phrase of choice : “Ay! Ay! Whop it up ‘em!”. This of course had no bearing on any tactical approach to improve the performance of the team but was still an absolute gem to hear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can I say to anyone still thinking about whether to buy or not, Liverpool know how to put on a show outside the ground. There are the obvious things to see, the memorial, gate etc, but there are shows going on all around the ground with bands and DJ's. Get there early and enjoy.

With a large new bar, outside, where the club shop was. Not sure if open yet.

The AMEX and Anfield both have ‘fan zones’. At Smellhurst it’s the same old grime zone.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So what ? you got a ticket. I would imagine you also got tickets for Liverpool and Man City away last season. Glamour games late in the season available because of a different 'perfect storm.' Tony Bloom personally devised this scheme because he wanted to incentivise the long term and continuous holding of season tickets. I reckon he has earned the right to make that decision. Put simply you don't make the same financial investment in the club as a season ticket holder so you don't get priority. Despite this there will always be games that you can attend.

Perfectly sound business decision. Any business owner with half a clue would want to retain their existing customer base and provide long term incentives to retain the loyalty of those punters.

My son has more loyalty points than me because he has been to more away games and cup games than me. That means that he can often get tickets for away games when I can't. There is nothing unfair about that at all!

There is no perfect system. But then it's not a perfect world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here