Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Russia

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I'm not concerned, these things are so heavily policed and NO government wants to be shamed hosting a major event that they pass off largely fine.

Even in Marseille in 2016, looking at the news you'd think it was mass disorder but really it was isolated to a few streets. The Russian thing was a bit mental, but given everyone said I was going to die, get carjacked, raped etc in South Africa - when actually it was a brilliant world cup and no sign of troubles. The police presence is huge, and I don't expect Russia to be any different.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not sure anyone can afford to go, unless they are banking on getting drunk and dozing on a park bench

[video]https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-russia-hotels-price-inflation-kaliningrad-england-fans-hotel-rate-hike-a8176771.html[/video]

I shall be watching the TV and only tuning in at kick off time to afford the awful BBC and ITV pundits and also probably muting the commentary

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not concerned
:eek:
these things are so heavily policed
They're the problem.
and NO government wants to be shamed hosting a major event
:lol: Putin would consider it an honour when the official reports state than just 20 Russian policemen were able to fight off 200 hostile English hooligans.

Even in Marseille in 2016, looking at the news you'd think it was mass disorder but really it was isolated to a few streets.
I saw the footage. No it wasn't on every street, but that's no consolation to those effected.

The police presence is huge, and I don't expect Russia to be any different.
Likewise, but the difference is that the police are part of the problem in Russia.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I went to Moscow with England about a decade ago and, to be fair, the police were absolutely fine then. In fact had it not been for them, and the not insignificant presence of a tank outside our hotel, we probably would have taken a battering from the local nutters.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
RUSSIAN VISA
For those wanting to visit Russia but not the football, if you buy a ticket to a match, any ticket and any match, you get a free visa to visit Russia valid 30 days before and 30 after the tournament. You will need, however, a Fan ID.
If you are thinking of a trip to see Moscow this is far easier than having to get a visa.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
FREE TRAINS
Just seen this as well.
If you are staying in Moscow and want to see England V Belgium a free train will get you there and back. It's 21 hours there and 22 hours back. Makes Boro away look simple.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Spent a few days working in Nizhny Novgorod 6 years ago and thought it was an interesting city in a spectacular location and people were much more welcoming than in Moscow. High speed, state-of-the-art 'Sapsan' train from Moscow took 4 hours.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Never been to an England game at home or away and don't intend going to Russia. Might be interest if were based in Australia/NZ though.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Anyone still intending on going? I'd be, well lets say just a little apprehensive right now, and not so much because of their ;"hoolies"

If you are going do you intend to stay in Russia or travel in just for the games?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Anyone still intending on going? I'd be, well lets say just a little apprehensive right now, and not so much because of their ;"hoolies"

If you are going do you intend to stay in Russia or travel in just for the games?

You just know, it will kick off with their fans attacking us, then the Russian press will put a nice little spin on the whole story, and those English fans will be slung in jail and become political prawns (yes I know its spilt wrong)

I think if Russia meet Poland that could be rather tasty indeed

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You just know, it will kick off with their fans attacking us, then the Russian press will put a nice little spin on the whole story, and those fans will slung in jail and become political prawns (yes I know its spilt wrong)

I can see it now, we'll release 83 of your arrested English hooligans as long as you let our 23 diplomats (spies) back in to the UK. And 60 into the US as well

It's getting rather murky and I would be pretty concerned for anyone going

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yep. I'm off

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That Belgium game will be a dead rubber though. It'll just be a shootout for top spot.

So NOT a dead rubber then.

It is the failure to secure top spot in the group that has ****ed up England's WC campaigns time and again over the last few occasions. The South Africa tournament the most obvious example.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

It is the failure to secure top spot in the group that has ****ed up England's WC campaigns time and again over the last few occasions. The South Africa tournament the most obvious example.

Last time it was failure to get out of the ****ing group. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

We're going to get someone from Poland, Japan, Senegal or Columbia in the 2nd round. Columbia on the face of things being the toughest of those, but they're by no means NAILED on to win that group (Poland were the seeded team). So we could still end up with them if we finish top. Any of those 4 should be eminently beatable though.

If the other groups run to expected form, it'll be Brazil or Germany in the QF so thats where the story ends (obvs). But we won't often have a more straightforward path to the last 8, so that should certainly be viewed as PAR.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm not going, but this happens before EVERY major tournament.

Media report the following:
- Stadiums remain unfinished. They'll never be done in time!
- England are ready to host it at a moments notice.
- Bang on about the threat of crime/disease/hooliganism/police brutality
- Video inside a hotel room where the players will be staying and show an unfinished plug socket and/or untiled bathroom

Then what actually happens:
- Tournament goes ahead
- Hoooligans do some hooliganing
- England bottle it

Every. Single. Time

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here