Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton - isn't he bombproof in any circumstances this season?

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
One is unlucky....two is eyebrow raising....three smacks of a combination of panic, lack of research and downright bad practice.
You are probably right, leaving Hughton up shit creak

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No, we might celebrate that evening, but then everyone will point out the big team had injuries, suspensions, we got a flukey goal, or the ref gave us a soft penalty.
There is no way Brighton would get the credit, from the big wide world.

Who gives a toss about the big wide world. Lets just tweak the nose of a big boy and enjoy it. Why let the bullies have their own way all the time. This is what the plastics and armchair fans expect. They expect their team to wallop little teams like Brighton. This is why they follow them, to watch them win most of the time. They squirm and they sulk if things don't go their way. They have never developed the grounded maturity of a fan of a less successful team. It is gloriously entertaining to watch them suffer their shock defeat. It must be great to be in the company of a Liverpool fan today. Last week, playing fantasy football to beat the unbeaten and then last night, losing to the bottom team. I can just imagine the pain and anguish.
Bring it on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who gives a toss about the big wide world. Lets just tweak the nose of a big boy and enjoy it. Why let the bullies have their own way all the time. This is what the plastics and armchair fans expect. They expect their team to wallop little teams like Brighton. This is why they follow them, to watch them win most of the time. They squirm and they sulk if things don't go their way. They have never developed the grounded maturity of a fan of a less successful team. It is gloriously entertaining to watch them suffer their shock defeat. It must be great to be in the company of a Liverpool fan today. Last week, playing fantasy football to beat the unbeaten and then last night, losing to the bottom team. I can just imagine the pain and anguish.
Bring it on.

I wasn't talking about armchair fans, as you know.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
How can we afford to go down when the gap between the PL and the rest is widening by the season. Many clubs, larger and more successful than us are stuck in the Championship and cannot get out of it. They are forced to continually sell their better players and are falling further behind smaller but more successful PL outfits.
Unlike some on here, who seem to be craving life back in the Championship, TB will be bitterly disappointed if we get relegated. We have had a great chance of staying up. The first half of the season saw a whole raft of underperforming clubs...West Ham, Everton, Swansea, Saints, Stoke, West Brom, Bmuff etc The fixture list was relatively kind to us. We played a number of these clubs at their lowest ebb.
That we didn't put more distance between ourselves and the then strugglers was largely down to managerial mindset. TB will be acutely aware of this and he hasn't come this far with his investment to see PL status negatively and limply conceded.
I don't think any manager is bombproof and I don't think it is a given that CH would be retained if we were relegated. If we survive, he will survive into next season but he will be expected to adopt a different approach and whether he is able to, will determine his future.

This is the likely scenario....although the fact that we haven't managed to put more distance between us and other strugglers isn't just down to managerial mindset - the recruitment team's ****-ups in the summer didn't help. My guess is that he would survive (in the Championship) until November if we weren't cutting it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But imagine how you would feel if we actually beat one of the big boys. It would change our mindset completely. All of a sudden, it wouldn't seem like the impossible dream and the boost in confidence would be immeasurable. We would all start to feel we belong in this division rather than just loaned to it and feeding off scraps.

How can a slow, Championship quality team, beat a top 6 team?

Even Swansea last night had 2 or 3 players, with stacks of PL experience and pace, to give them some kind of threat or nuisance value at the other end.

Palace, Hudd, Stoke all have players with great pace to do that too, match winners.

The Board got recruitment so wrong, despite knowing from early last year that promotion was massively on the cards.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We need to keep one eye on the long game. Where do we want this club to be in the next 10, 20, 30 years? Maybe we go down, maybe we stay up, but I still believe in the long run we have every chance of being a top half Prem side.

And I believe, for now, Hughton is the man to run with the torch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need to keep one eye on the long game. Where do we want this club to be in the next 10, 20, 30 years? Maybe we go down, maybe we stay up, but I still believe in the long run we have every chance of being a top half Prem side.

The club is financially unviable again from season 2020/21, with parachute payments only covering our huge costs (and otherwise losses) for 2 seasons. PB alluded to this when he stated that "staying in the PL is everything".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can’t imagine TB being anything but furious if we go down, Heads will roll if we do imo. No idea which ones though.

It would be harsh if it was CH’s though but this is a results game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can’t imagine TB being anything but furious if we go down, Heads will roll if we do imo. No idea which ones though.

It would be harsh if it was CH’s though but this is a results game.

If TB doesn't seriously look at 2017 player recruitment failings, that would be surprising.

A results business, but it depends on the quality of the players in the squad.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If we go down then it will have a serious impact on this club. We need to stay up! All this talk of him (Hughton) being the right man to get us straight back up again and comparing us to Burnley and Dyche...The real world doesn't work like that. I would like Hughton to stop coaching so defensively. He can start by leaving one or two up when we are defending corners. He doesn't seem to have noticed that whenever we clear from a corner it comes right back at us. Being too stubborn to change is not good.

He is a decent man and I am grateful to him for getting us promoted but I can't help but think he is a little out of his depth a lot of the time. We had the Championship title in our hands but gave it away-that is not the mindset we need to stay up. If he keeps us up then I will be genuinely surprised. Happy but surprised!

Anybody notice the difference in the two managers on Saturday? Conte was animated, encouraging his players for 90 minutes. Hughton was like a car park attendant waving cars in. That wave is all I notice him doing. Come on Chris-look excited once in a while.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I agree Knockeart has been a disappointment I thought he was going to rip up the league

He has done exactly what I expected this season, including tantrums. Any full back with pace/PL experience has him in their pocket for the 60 minutes he is on. Can’t go on the outside and ends up beating two midfielders on the way back to our half then passes to Bruno/Duffy. I realised this after Norwich away in April when he knew he had been sussed and just wanted to argue. He prolonged his popularity by being an arse at the celebrations and now can’t dig in. Need to cash in and sell to top 8 championship team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we go down then it will have a serious impact on this club. We need to stay up! All this talk of him (Hughton) being the right man to get us straight back up again and comparing us to Burnley and Dyche...The real world doesn't work like that. I would like Hughton to stop coaching so defensively. He can start by leaving one or two up when we are defending corners. He doesn't seem to have noticed that whenever we clear from a corner it comes right back at us. Being too stubborn to change is not good.

He is a decent man and I am grateful to him for getting us promoted but I can't help but think he is a little out of his depth a lot of the time. We had the Championship title in our hands but gave it away-that is not the mindset we need to stay up. If he keeps us up then I will be genuinely surprised. Happy but surprised!

:thumbsup:

UNLESS, the Board acquire players of top flight quality this month and CH is able to get them bedded into the first team straight away. The picture could dramatically change for the better.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
[emoji106]

UNLESS, the Board acquire players of top flight quality this month and CH is able to get them bedded into the first team straight away. The picture could dramatically change for the better.
Let's hope that they don't let him (And us) down. It's not bedwetting, it's not acting like a petulant child: I will be 100% pissed off if we go down. It will be a financial disaster after all of the money splashed out this season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let's hope that they don't let him (And us) down. It's not bedwetting, it's not acting like a petulant child: I will be 100% pissed off if we go down. It will be a financial disaster after all of the money splashed out this season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The biggest loser will be TB. Unless we bounce back in two seasons, it will be back to square one of him having to plough in £10m's a season again. That'll focus the Board's actions this month.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Anybody notice the difference in the two managers on Saturday? Conte was animated, encouraging his players for 90 minutes. Hughton was like a car park attendant waving cars in. That wave is all I notice him doing. Come on Chris-look excited once in a while.

I told everyone "Hire DiCanio. Passion is what you want from a manager. Nothing more essential."
But did anyone listen? You want a guy to do his nut? None nuttier.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
the next 4 league games is gonna be critical- I think the pressure will be on big time on CH if we don’t get 2 wins tbh, this board will be in meltdown if those 4 games go pear shaped

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
:thumbsup:

The biggest loser will be TB. Unless we bounce back in two seasons, it will be back to square one of him having to plough in £10m's a season again. That'll focus the Board's actions this month.

Loving this ray of sunshine in the gloom.

May I have some of your happy pills, Mr Weststander sir?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here