Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road kill

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had to go up the A24 today, not a usual journey for me, and I was astounded at the amount of road kill.
I wasn't looking out for it, but saw at least 8 adult badges and about 4 foxes, and, something I've never seen in all my years, a fully grown deer at Capel.

Is there something going on with the badgers, I have heard whispers, over the years of farmers gassing badgers and dumping them by the side of roads, is this is what is happening?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've heard rumours that farmers may shoot badgers and dump them on the road, once they get messed up by the traffic there's no way of telling.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've heard rumours that farmers may shoot badgers and dump them on the road, once they get messed up by the traffic there's no way of telling.

Heard that as well. Scum farmers. Lived in Sussed for nearly 50 years and never seen so many badgers by the side of the road. Don't know if their shot or poisoned!!!

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
More like cut backs at the highway agency meaning they're getting picked up less...all over A27 too. Don't start me on the amount of litter about...now that's a disgrace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More like cut backs at the highway agency meaning they're getting picked up less...all over A27 too. Don't start me on the amount of litter about...now that's a disgrace.

It's not all down to HA though is it.....more the utterly selfish twats that chuck litter out of their car windows. See it all the time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not all down to HA though is it.....more the utterly selfish twats that chuck litter out of their car windows. See it all the time.
Fat reps guzzling Red Bull and Wild Bean Coffee.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Heard that as well. Scum farmers. Lived in Sussed for nearly 50 years and never seen so many badgers by the side of the road. Don't know if their shot or poisoned!!!

you really think that Badgers/foxes etc on side of road are not road kill.......However you don`t know if "Scum Farmers" shoot or poison them.??????

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I had to go up the A24 today, not a usual journey for me, and I was astounded at the amount of road kill.
I wasn't looking out for it, but saw at least 8 adult badges and about 4 foxes, and, something I've never seen in all my years, a fully grown deer at Capel.

Is there something going on with the badgers, I have heard whispers, over the years of farmers gassing badgers and dumping them by the side of roads, is this is what is happening?

You've never seen a full grown deer as roadkill?

You should try driving round East Sussex a bit more. Sadly, it happens all the time, especially around Ashdown Forest & the Wealden area. Lots are killed, but plenty survive for a time with broken legs or whatever and have to be destroyed. They have 40mph limits and signs up on the A22 documenting how many deer have been killed on the roads, to try and slow people down.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Fat reps guzzling Red Bull and Wild Bean Coffee.

The crisp packet I saw thrown from a vehicle today was a white van, sign written with the company name on it, a commercial vehicle services company in the Reading area. :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Weird I thought this last week when driving up the A24. Don't remember seeing so many badgers splattered on the roads. Huge things

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

The A24 isn't the responsibility of Highways England. It's maintained (or not, as the case may be) by the respective local authority highways departments.

Must be the farmers, simply must be.

I doubt any of them are used to hard work like digging holes, none of them would have access to agricultural machinery to dig them for them and add to that where would they dispose of the bodies, it's not like they have any land to hide them.

Obvious they would dump them next to busy roads ignoring the hedges and ditches all around in full sight of thousands of motorists.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
you really think that Badgers/foxes etc on side of road are not road kill.......However you don`t know if "Scum Farmers" shoot or poison them.??????

I remember when I was a child, my Dad was a farm worker, and he had to get something from a shepherd on a neighbouring farm.
We went into the shepherds hut, and hanging up were the carcasses of four large badgers the shepherd had shot. I had nightmares for quite a while afterwards.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

You should try driving round East Sussex a bit more. Sadly, it happens all the time, especially around Ashdown Forest & the Wealden area. Lots are killed, but plenty survive for a time with broken legs or whatever and have to be destroyed. They have 40mph limits and signs up on the A22 documenting how many deer have been killed on the roads, to try and slow people down.

I ran into one on way back from T Wells one night ...stepped out infront of me at distance of about ten yards...Dazzled by lights froze...I hardly had time to brake ..fortunately Deer was killed immediately...Shook me up and fair bit of damage to car.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Nope, first one today, Edna. I nearly hit one myself years ago in Ashington, I thought if you hit one, you put it in the back of the car, and sold it to the nearest butcher. (Joking)

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I remember when I was a child, my Dad was a farm worker, and he had to get something from a shepherd on a neighbouring farm.
We went into the shepherds hut, and hanging up were the carcasses of four large badgers the shepherd had shot. I had nightmares for quite a while afterwards.

If prior to 1992 I believe Badgers could be shot .....

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope, first one today, Edna. I nearly hit one myself years ago in Ashington, I thought if you hit one, you put it in the back of the car, and sold it to the nearest butcher. (Joking)

Only if you don't have room in your freezer.

Not that uncommon in my experience, see it in Devon quite a bit as well. My uncle hit one once, properly messed the car up, loads of damage. They're heavy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here