Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you deal with blatant xenophobia/racism from "friends" on social media?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How do you deal with blatant xenophobia/racism from "friends" on social media?

You could always start by distinguishing what is xenophobia and what is racism, rather than lazily lumping them together as the same thing. They aren't.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7799101 said:
So I have a "friend" on Facebook (I live in a town full of expats so lots of acquaintances that have friended me on Facebook) and he posts some absolutely horrific stuff. Now I know one possibility is to simply delete him and I have been tempted to do so. However at the same time don't we have some responsibility to confront people like this? Or is it simply a waste of time to debate with people like this? What do you do?

Attached below some of his latest facebook drivel:

On the plus side he does seem to have (eventually) stopped an anti-Semitic attack.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Anyone who puts anything too personal or too inflammatory on Facebook is best avoided in my book. A lot of people who use Facebook don't really understand the rules of engagement in my opinion.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Anyone who puts anything too personal or too inflammatory on Facebook is best avoided in my book. A lot of people who use Facebook don't really understand the rules of engagement in my opinion.

That's why i don't bother,i only see the negative (unusually for me) in such matters,so don't bother with FB,Twitter and such like..

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I made the discovery a month ago that you can delete your Facebook page and still keep the messenger.

For me this is a great way to keep in contact with close friends without wasting hours of looking at the drivel people post on there.

My pet hate at the moment is people who start a conversation 'did you see on Facebook . . .'. Avoid these people like the plague.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So I have a "friend" on Facebook (I live in a town full of expats so lots of acquaintances that have friended me on Facebook) and he posts some absolutely horrific stuff. Now I know one possibility is to simply delete him and I have been tempted to do so. However at the same time don't we have some responsibility to confront people like this? Or is it simply a waste of time to debate with people like this? What do you do?

View attachment 82111

View attachment 82112

I actually think you are spouting boxxocks, but a 'responsibility to confront' etc etc? Do fxxk off, his opinions are his, just as valid as yours but different, just defriend (rubbish term) and move on, oh , and get some balls.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I actually think you are spouting boxxocks, but a 'responsibility to confront' etc etc? Do fxxk off, his opinions are his, just as valid as yours but different, just defriend (rubbish term) and move on, oh , and get some balls.

Bit cranky today? He said he wants to pepper spray people in the face because they're muslim. Do you think that's a fine thing to say? What do you mean get some balls, I was asking on NSC how people in general deal with reading this kinds of things on facebook not asking for advice.

How do I know him? Well I live in a small town in Costa Rica and he's another Englishman so I've chatted him in various times in bars and pubs - always seemed like a decent enough guy until I saw some of the crap he was posting on Facebook.

I would love to have him Jamied - bit difficult to achieve in this country though!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7799469 said:
- always seemed like a decent enough guy until I saw that his views were different to mine and that he was posting them on Facebook.!

Corrected for you. Please remember that what he posts from afar may be different to his real life persona. And still, just de friend him rather than come to NSC saying 'oh, what shall I do?' in a melodramatic luvvie way.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

View attachment 82111

View attachment 82112

I'd be a bit choosier about my friends if I was you. But then again your the one asking for advice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Treat his posts seriously and reply to them seriously, explaining where he's gone wrong.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

View attachment 82111

View attachment 82112

It really is pretty poorly written, could his account have been hacked without his knowledge ? You could say something like " Looks like someone has stolen your FB ID and is posting absolute crap " " I'm sure its not your doing is it ? "

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He probably thinks the same about you when you retweet/share Pro liberal snowflake propaganda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Get rid, life's too short.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here