Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock- our most improved player this season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I thought he was good last season too, but he was not anywhere near the form he has shown this season. And yes, he should never have been written off. He has shown this season what a valuable asset he is. Experience and longevity. We really needed some of that. But still our most improved player. He seems to have bought into the #together tag.

He hadn't played at all for Stoke the first half of last season so wouldn't have been fully match fit when he arrived in my view. Seemed to improve as we went along but, as others have said, was never going to break in ahead of Stephens and Kayal.

I can't believe how he's fitted in this season though. Imagine if Kayal had had this time out of the team last season. We'd have dropped down the table. This year, he has missed nine games and we are unbeaten in them, with six wins (and Stephens didn't start some of those either).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've always rated Baldock for the way he opens up defences with his runs. He offers something we don't have elsewhere. However, there's always been a concern about his goalscoring. He seems to have sorted that out this season. Five league goals at this stage of the season when he's not started at least five or six is a great return. Long may it continue.

Agree with other comments about January though. We need competition for Baldock in case of injury/loss of form.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Comparing Baldock to CMS is utterly ridiculous. CMS was one of the most brainless footballers I have ever seen, whereas Baldock, whilst not always effective, is a far, far smarter player. I think Barnes would be a closer comparison in terms of overall play.

I'd suggest comparing Baldock to Barnes is utterly ridiculous.

Barnes can cut it in the Premier league. Does anyone seriously think Baldock could?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd suggest comparing Baldock to Barnes is utterly ridiculous.

Barnes can cut it in the Premier league. Does anyone seriously think Baldock could?

In terms of attributes, they are far more similar than Baldock and CMS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In terms of attributes, they are far more similar than Baldock and CMS.

Well for starters, Barnes actually put his foot in rather than shirk every tackle that came his way.

Barnes knew where the goal was (granted, Baldock is now beginning to find his shooting boots, and that's great).

Barnes didn't only 'defend from the front', he defended all over the pitch.

Barnes got under the skin of the opposition and won us numerous free kicks in dangerous areas too. Downside of that was there was usually a suspension or two through the season, but he was worth it.

Barnes was also the supporting role to a main striker, did a great job for the team and created as much space as Baldock does for others to play in.

So yes, simliar roles in some ways to think of comparing I suppose, but Barnes just has so much more about him than Baldock, IMHO.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Well for starters, Barnes actually put his foot in rather than shirk every tackle that came his way.

Barnes knew where the goal was (granted, Baldock is now beginning to find his shooting boots, and that's great).

Barnes got under the skin of the opposition and won us numerous free kicks in dangerous areas too. Downside of that was there was usually a suspension or two through the season, but he was worth it.

Barnes was also the supporting role to a main striker, did a great job for the team and created as much space as Baldock does for others to play in.

So yes, simliar roles in some ways to think of comparing I suppose, but Barnes just has so much more about him than Baldock, IMHO.

Another important comparison: Barnes was regularly slated on NSC for not scoring enough and had been given that very insightful label of "league 1 at best". People couldn't see all the hard work he was putting in for the team as a wide front man, as you say he was very important defensively in Gus' side.

Many Albion fans didn't understand Barnes' worth while he was here. If they still can't see what Baldock brings to the team after this season then they never will.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Overall Barnes is the better player yes, I'd agree. But style of play is still more similar than Baldock/CMS, which a lot of people seem to say purely because they both "run about a lot". In no other way are the two really that similar similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here