Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Piper

Thaidave

Dec 2, 2013
Where would I find a good quality photo of the team in the year 73/74 under Cloughie, the reason is I live in Thailand and a guy, a special guy who is often out here says he played for Brighton and Hove Albion but is very reluctant to say much, reason will become apparent at a later stage.
He says he was a winger, he says he was at school with Steve Piper and Piper is older than him although will not say how much older.
We think he has changed his name since those days and his name now is Andy but it dos not fit with anyone I have found in the team of that era, the only photo's I have found are low res and not too clear.
We are not sure why he is being vague apart from something about him thats very obvious and maybe why he is being so vague.Thanks for all the comments so far.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Where would I find a good quality photo of the team in the year 73/74 under Cloughie, the reason is I live in Thailand and a guy, a special guy who is often out here says he played for Brighton and Hove Albion but is very reluctant to say much, reason will become apparent at a later stage.
He says he was a winger, he says he was at school with Steve Piper and Piper is older than him although will not say how much older.
We think he has changed his name since those days and his name now is Andy but it dos not fit with anyone I have found in the team of that era, the only photo's I have found are low res and not too clear.
We are not sure why he is being vague apart from something about him thats very obvious and maybe why he is being so vague.Thanks for all the comments so far.

Here's a squad photo of the 1973-74 team:- 1973-74 line-up - courtesy of Goldstone Rapper's excellent blog, of course.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Page 07.jpg

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
was that Clough's squad or was it the squad before he joined?

That picture was from issue 813 of 'League Football' magazine from late October 1973. League Football tended to use the official squad photos supplied at the start of the season.

There is an article by David Icke in the mag - strangely no mention of him being the son of God.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

As far as I know, there was no photo shoot of Clough with the Albion players in a team group. By the time of the next one, Peter Taylor was in charge.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
was that Clough's squad or was it the squad before he joined?

Definitely before, as the kit is not even the one we played in during 1973/74.

Peteams

Jan 24, 2015
Where is Steve Piper

HI All.
I am looking for info on Steve Piper who played for the Albion in early 70's anyone know where he is now, any photo's appreciated or any info.
Thanks in advance

Hello mate,

Just to let you know Steve is my father in law and is now based in Worthing, semi retired and loving golf. My son, who is an U11 big Albion fan, is very impressed whenever he goes to the Amex with his Grampy and people all along the train or the stadium say hello to Steve. Very happy to share any more detail.

PS steve is sat next to me at the minute and says 160 apps, 9 goals, 56 games in the 76/77 season, Brian Horton best player played with and best manager was Mullers...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There's a Terry Towner in that squad photo. :facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hello mate,

Just to let you know Steve is my father in law and is now based in Worthing, semi retired and loving golf. My son, who is an U11 big Albion fan, is very impressed whenever he goes to the Amex with his Grampy and people all along the train or the stadium say hello to Steve. Very happy to share any more detail.

PS steve is sat next to me at the minute and says 160 apps, 9 goals, 56 games in the 76/77 season, Brian Horton best player played with and best manager was Mullers...

56 games, and probably barely broke a sweat. Earned a fraction of what they do now.

Respect to the man.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Hello mate,

Tell your father-in-law that he was/is a top man. I used to pester him for complimentary tickets at away games and he even came out of the dressing room once half changed when I arrived late. One of his proudest moments must have been "doing the walk round" in the Top Rank Suite the evening after he had shut out Peter Osgood in a cup tie at the Goldstone !

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Firstly, Steve is an Albion great and I hope all is well with the Pipers and extended family. However, secondly, is Steve sure about that? I make it 190 appearances, 9 goals and 56 games in 76/77, although I've been wrong before :blush:. Steve is an answer in a quiz I'm just about to put up into Sporcle, placed between Andy Rollings and Jimmy Case.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tony Towner played as a right winger; Peter O'Sullivan (Sully) was a left winger/midfielder. Steve Piper was a few years later and played as a left midfielder. All 3 were good, well liked, players.
They were indeed. Nice to hear that Piper is still going to games.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hello mate,

Please pass on our very best wishes to your father-in-law. I remember him well, it was a great era.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
One of my favourite Albion goals was a series of first time passes on the edge of the opponents area between Sully, Steve Piper and Peter Ward which put Wardy in on the keeper to score. It was the third goal in a 3-1 defeat of Mansfield Town in a top of the table clash if my memory serves me right. For some reason that game is fixed in my memory.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
I played in the same school team as Steve he was always a cut above all the rest of us, he also played for Rottingdean before he joined the albion.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
One of my favourite Albion goals was a series of first time passes on the edge of the opponents area between Sully, Steve Piper and Peter Ward which put Wardy in on the keeper to score. It was the third goal in a 3-1 defeat of Mansfield Town in a top of the table clash if my memory serves me right. For some reason that game is fixed in my memory.

2nd April 77, my 13th birthday. As Wardy got brought down for a penalty, Red Rum crossed the line to win the National (heard the latter from some bloke's radio on the east terrace). Permanently etched in my memory!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here