Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Hooper- referee, cheat or just an incompetent buffoon?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
He was just utterly incompetent. It wasn't just the one decision (genuinely one of the worst I have ever seen), it was more or less everything he did. The penalty was bizarre, they didn't appeal, no one else in the stadium even contemplated that it was anything other than a corner. They then had a decent penalty shout turned down, presumably because he knew he'd have been lynched if he gave a second one. Then we had a very good handball shout turned away, because he didn't want to look like he was evening things up. LuaLua's marker did very well against him but wasn't pulled up for two blatant, cynical chop-downs when Kaz did manage to get away from him. There were corners being given as goal kicks, throws the wrong way, and a very strange one shortly after the penalty when a long ball sailed 20 yards over Upson & Grabban's heads and he gave us a free kick for no apparent reason. They both just stood and watched it, didn't bother jumping for it, and apparently that's a free kick our way. He was constantly behind play, didn't bat an eyelid to some ludicrous time wasting, and demanded every set piece be taken from the precise blade of grass the 'foul' had taken place from, determined to be centre of attention. He was a joke from start to finish, and the most infuriating thing is he'll be back reffing next week. The likes of him, D'Urso, Pawson and the numerous other self-important little hitlers officiating this league are turning the season into an absolute farce. We have to improve our finishing but I'd rather be frustrated by that than walk away from 9 out of 10 games saying the ref was a cretin. You expect just a basic level of quality from refs who we're constantly told do such a hard job, but recently it's been embarrassing, sunday league fare at best.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He was just utterly incompetent. It wasn't just the one decision (genuinely one of the worst I have ever seen), it was more or less everything he did. The penalty was bizarre, they didn't appeal, no one else in the stadium even contemplated that it was anything other than a corner. They then had a decent penalty shout turned down, presumably because he knew he'd have been lynched if he gave a second one. Then we had a very good handball shout turned away, because he didn't want to look like he was evening things up. LuaLua's marker did very well against him but wasn't pulled up for two blatant, cynical chop-downs when Kaz did manage to get away from him. There were corners being given as goal kicks, throws the wrong way, and a very strange one shortly after the penalty when a long ball sailed 20 yards over Upson & Grabban's heads and he gave us a free kick for no apparent reason. They both just stood and watched it, didn't bother jumping for it, and apparently that's a free kick our way. He was constantly behind play, didn't bat an eyelid to some ludicrous time wasting, and demanded every set piece be taken from the precise blade of grass the 'foul' had taken place from, determined to be centre of attention. He was a joke from start to finish, and the most infuriating thing is he'll be back reffing next week. The likes of him, D'Urso, Pawson and the numerous other self-important little hitlers officiating this league are turning the season into an absolute farce. We have to improve our finishing but I'd rather be frustrated by that than walk away from 9 out of 10 games saying the ref was a cretin. You expect just a basic level of quality from refs who we're constantly told do such a hard job, but recently it's been embarrassing, sunday league fare at best.

Spot on - it was another "its all about me" ref performance. He should not ref at this level. The poor quality of referees is a major problem for the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Perfectly put - and while our finishing does need to improve, we DID score yesterday - something that Bournemouth looked like they wouldn't have done if they'd had 10 hours on that pitch. Most one-sided draw I think I've ever seen.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think people try to look for a higher meaning in life for most things but the simple fact is he wasn't very good.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think people try to look for a higher meaning in life for most things but the simple fact is he wasn't very good.

He certainly wasn't very good, but you are very naive to ignore the facts:

1. The Bournemouth fans are pally with him and call him 'Hoops'.
2. He lives just outside Bournemouth.
3. He named his son Steve Ted Eddie Hooper.
4. He has a picture of Steve Fletcher, in a heart-shaped frame, on his mantle-piece.
5. He carried his whistle on an AFCB lanyard.

But yes, as you say, just innocent mistakes...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
PARP PARP
Screen shot 2014-01-02 at 15.24.59.png
(biggest picture I could find of him)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spot on - it was another "its all about me" ref performance. He should not ref at this level. The poor quality of referees is a major problem for the game.

He totally ruined the game up at Hillsborough last season. Barnes was correctly red carded for his foul but so many incorrect decisions throughout the match incensed the crowd and his "I'm in charge" attitude led to the altercation between Oatway and Jones in the technical area and a charge of disrepute from the FA for both of them.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Has he actually had the good grace to apologise that he was wrong for the pen decision? That might make me feel slightly better about him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has he actually had the good grace to apologise that he was wrong for the pen decision? That might make me feel slightly better about him.

I expect he's looked up from Eddie Howe's lap for a moment to apologise for not giving the Surman one, yes.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
He certainly wasn't very good, but you are very naive to ignore the facts:

1. The Bournemouth fans are pally with him and call him 'Hoops'.
2. He lives just outside Bournemouth.
3. He named his son Steve Ted Eddie Hooper.
4. He has a picture of Steve Fletcher, in a heart-shaped frame, on his mantle-piece.
5. He carried his whistle on an AFCB lanyard.

But yes, as you say, just innocent mistakes...

Sadly, as ever, I can't handle the truth (not the vaguely paranoid NSC poster, who is quite easily contained).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here