Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have a look at this brilliant bit of writing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ultimately, my big issue here isn't with what happens to those within the Brighton subsidy area other than that I pay more for my ST (£50 a season) to subsidise their travel. As someone outside of this area, we have to not only pay for travel to the games on top of our STs where most fans don't (albeit with a slight subsidy helping the last few seasons), but we also have to pay this aforementioned £50. As of next season, we won't be getting this subsidy towards our coach travel. This is a fact. And this seems deeply unfair as it's essentially double taxing us as fans outside of the Brighton travel subsidy area. If you think that's okay, then so be it, but I don't think it's fair and the club have lost a fair bit of goodwill in my eyes for this move.

You're not being 'double-taxed'. The club's subsidy can only reach so far.

Pedestrians and cyclists, who also don't need to make use of the travel subsidy, also have to pay. This has debated many times on here, especially by those who, because they don't use it, or who already have their own paid-for or free rail tickets, don't feel they should have to pay. They were given short-shrift on here.

The travel subsidy is a contribution towards the running cost of the whole stadium travel plan - a plan which is a legal planning requirement - which the club meet around half the costs of.

I understand your point about the coach travel subsidy being stopped, but there's an almighty difference between that happening and...

No, it's for those that get buses/coaches to the ground due to us living too far out. We already pay for the travel, but apparently the club part subsidised this up to this point, albeit not by much, as it was a part of their contractual agreement in building the stadium. This agreement term is, as far as my understanding goes, running out. This means that, as of next season, those that travel the furthest to get to Albion games will have to pay more, due to Barber's decision. There is a distinct possibility that the season after will lead to travel subsidy being halted across the board.

... this 'distinct possibility... of the 'travel subsidy being halted across the board' happening. For one, there will be an almighty public safety issue at Brighton Station before the game, and Falmer Station afterwards. Additionally, The club would need to seek approval from the licensing authorities to do away with the subsidised travel plan across the board, and come up with its own alternate safety-based plan.

Paul Barber has said that stopping the travel subsidy is 'absolute nonsense' and hasn't been discussed.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What bit are you struggling with? THE COACHES SUBSIDY IS STOPPING - this is a fact. There was a meeting a couple of weeks ago where the coach companies were told this by the club. It has been confirmed. So for all of us that get a coach to the ground from outside of the Brighton travel subsidy area, our prices are going up next year and that's even before potential price rises from the coach companies themselves. So this isn't crap. It isn't a rumour. It is fact. Do you understand this simple point or are you still debating it?

In your post where you quoted everything I've said on this thread, the only reference I made to the inner Brighton subsidy stopping was this quote: -
"They've not yet done it for those within the Brighton band, but it looks likely to happen within the next year or so."

That isn't a rumour, nor is it me claiming it to be fact. It just means it was discussed informally with those at the meeting. Obviously, from the club's point of view, it's a bad PR exercise to come out and tell all fans that they suddenly have to pay for travel expenses too. So maybe it won't happen next year. But the little informal discussion I've heard is that it could do. So no, I have no evidence of this specific element other than the discussion that I've seen happening, but nor have I ever claimed it to be fact. Does this clear this one sentence up, as I'm guessing it's the one you're taking such umbrage with?

Ultimately, my big issue here isn't with what happens to those within the Brighton subsidy area other than that I pay more for my ST (£50 a season) to subsidise their travel. As someone outside of this area, we have to not only pay for travel to the games on top of our STs where most fans don't (albeit with a slight subsidy helping the last few seasons), but we also have to pay this aforementioned £50. As of next season, we won't be getting this subsidy towards our coach travel. This is a fact. And this seems deeply unfair as it's essentially double taxing us as fans outside of the Brighton travel subsidy area. If you think that's okay, then so be it, but I don't think it's fair and the club have lost a fair bit of goodwill in my eyes for this move.

You have mentioned the Brighton subsidy area quite a few times. It covers a lot more than the Brighton area.
Eastbourne to Worthing and north to Haywards Heath.
That is a fair chunk of Sussex.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You're not being 'double-taxed'. The club's subsidy can only reach so far.

Pedestrians and cyclists, who also don't need to make use of the travel subsidy, also have to pay. This has debated many times on here, especially by those who, because they don't use it, or who already have their own paid-for or free rail tickets, don't feel they should have to pay. They were given short-shrift on here.

The travel subsidy is a contribution towards the running cost of the whole stadium travel plan - a plan which is a legal planning requirement - which the club meet around half the costs of.

I understand your point about the coach travel subsidy being stopped, but there's an almighty difference between that happening and...

... this 'distinct possibility... of the 'travel subsidy being halted across the board' happening. For one, there will be an almighty public safety issue at Brighton Station before the game, and Falmer Station afterwards. Additionally, The club would need to seek approval from the licensing authorities to do away with the subsidised travel plan across the board, and come up with its own alternate safety-based plan.

Paul Barber has said that stopping the travel subsidy is 'absolute nonsense' and hasn't been discussed.

Your first point is a matter of opinion. We disagree on that. But I respect your right to an opinion.

As to your second point, of course he's going to say that publicly. It would be nonsensical to discuss it in public due to the potential fan backlash and PR nosedive that would inevitably happen. I agree there are health and safety issues, but the same would occur if you suddenly had all the people on coaches trying to use the park and rides or the trains - despite that potential safety concern, our subsidy has ended. So don't be confused, if it's of financial benefit to the club for it to end, then it will end at some point. Furthermore, it's highly unlikely that the club got approval for the ground on the basis that they paid for never ending travel subsidy to all fans within the Brighton travel subsidy area (although I confess I am only speculating what that time period may be, and as stated in my previous post, I'm basing this opinion on the feedback from the meeting at which the club were involved).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You have mentioned the Brighton subsidy area quite a few times. It covers a lot more than the Brighton area.
Eastbourne to Worthing and north to Haywards Heath.
That is a fair chunk of Sussex.

It was only to clarify that there was a clear subsidy area for travel and an area outside of that i.e. one group who had their subsidy cut, and one group that hasn't. I appreciate it's a fairly big area.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It was only to clarify that there was a clear subsidy area for travel and an area outside of that i.e. one group who had their subsidy cut, and one group that hasn't. I appreciate it's a fairly big area.

So, don't keep referring to it as the Brighton subsidy area as if only Brightonians get this 'freebie'.
Why not refer to it as it is, the Travel Zone?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What bit are you struggling with? THE COACHES SUBSIDY IS STOPPING - this is a fact. There was a meeting a couple of weeks ago where the coach companies were told this by the club. It has been confirmed. So for all of us that get a coach to the ground from outside of the Brighton travel subsidy area, our prices are going up next year and that's even before potential price rises from the coach companies themselves. So this isn't crap. It isn't a rumour. It is fact. Do you understand this simple point or are you still debating it?

Thanks for sharing this.

Do you know how much the subsidy worked out per customer and/or how much you'd anticipate your fare rising by when the subsidy is removed?

I use Seagull Travel from time to time from Findon. It's a great service but it already feels slightly expensive, as I know I have a free train journey I could be taking. Sometimes the coach, particularly coming home, is just so much more convenient that I take it.

If the price crept up much more, I'd be less inclined to do that however.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Thanks for sharing this.

Do you know how much the subsidy worked out per customer and/or how much you'd anticipate your fare rising by when the subsidy is removed?

I use Seagull Travel from time to time from Findon. It's a great service but it already feels slightly expensive, as I know I have a free train journey I could be taking. Sometimes the coach, particularly coming home, is just so much more convenient that I take it.

Seagulls Travel do a coach from Newhaven. It costs £8. I can use the bus or the train for free. I've never used Seagulls Travel.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do any other football clubs give their fans free and/or subsidised travel to and from the stadium ?

Asking for a friend.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Thanks for sharing this.

I don’t actually think the subsidy is much to be honest. It’s only a couple of pounds a game, although that’s just the subsidy. Any coach price increases could see it go up higher. Obviously, if you add ticket price increases, it could easily be £50-100 more expensive to see the Albion for some of us next year.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So, don't keep referring to it as the Brighton subsidy area as if only Brightonians get this 'freebie'.
Why not refer to it as it is, the Travel Zone?

Starting a comment by telling someone what to do isn’t a good look. It certainly doesn’t incentivise me to do as you’ve asked.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here