Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do You Use a Man Bag?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I was a very early user of the man bag from my early twenties over 30 years ago. I never worried what people thought but then again my bag of choice at that time didn't cast any aspersions on my sexuality but even if it had I wouldn't have cared. My very first man bag was an army surplus shoulder bag so it had quite masculine connotations being army related. You could get them in sand coloured for ex army or light blue for ex airforce. I used to love army surplus stores. I also wore a green full length, all in one flying suit in the late 70s/early 80s which perfectly complimented my man bag.
View attachment 88650

I had a army bag like that when I was at Art College

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clearly far too much time spent on the continent.

*Two handbags and a shopping bag

I think man bags are very much UK as well. I concede that my man-purse is mainland Europe influenced though.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Only to carry my testicles around in.

That's a man bag right?
Exactly what I was thinking.
I have a manbag but don't use it much because I don't like the way it swings round the body and the flap bounces up and down on the magnetic clips. I far prefer a small rucksack with multiple compartments to lose things in and a water bottle holder on the outside. I found an old leather satchel style briefcase round the back of the old Co-op on London Road recently and that is getting sterling service at the moment for work.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Brown Leather Satchel containing:
Fold up Umbrella
Bluetooth Headphones
Kindle Paperwhite
iPhone
A couple of Powerbanks for the phone
Two cables(1x Lightning, 1x Micro USB)
Glucose Tablets
Diabetes Medication
Albion Water Bottle

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have a Brown Leather Duffle bag which I use for work.

This Carries:

- Laptop and charges
- Lunch
- Umberella
- Trainers and sometimes a change of clothes.

Probably a little too big for what it is used for and often called my stripper bag by friends, but I hate the satchel look.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
View attachment 88647

If this is what you call a manbag then yes, yes I do. Usual contents are my lunch, glasses, newspaper, umbrella & headphones. And yes, I have had to take it to football on evening games when I go straight from the office. Next?

Nice to hear you go 'straight' from the office Pasty.
Only joking.
I am at the age where I think I would look faintly ridiculous with a man bag, 70 next year. Anyway, I have nothing to carry except my cards and some dosh, so I don't need one.
My eldest son carries one, but I reckon that is to hide his hip flask in!:)

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yes, I carry a "man bag" mostly cos I hate carrying things in my pockets.
Don't really care what people think of it to be honest.

Exactly my stance. Don't like rucksacks. Don't take man bag everywhere, mainly when going out for the day and want to take camera etc. or perhaps know I am going to buy a few things.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If I'm carrying work stuff (either paperwork/iPad/laptop) or my camera, then yes - though I keep my wallet, phone & keys in my pockets whether or not I'm using the bag.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rucksacks have their place. When I strike out across the Downs the man bag is forsaken for a pad strapped backpack with vented back mesh and external bottle holders. Combine this with a breathable outer layer, sturdy footwear and some multi-pocket action slacks and your bound to illicit a few cheery "morning"'s as you pass fellow walkers* who see your kit and recognise you as one of their own.

* fully expecting that to be edited by one letter in a quote.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I had a army bag like that when I was at Art College

As a woman you have no place on this thread. Kindly keep your comments to yourself unless they relate to one of your male friends, male colleagues or male partners' (ex or current) penchant for man bags. Have you ever been out with a man who sported a man bag and if so did his masculinity diminish in any way in your eyes?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As a woman you have no place on this thread. Kindly keep your comments to yourself unless they relate to one of your male friends, male colleagues or male partners' (ex or current) penchant for man bags. Have you ever been out with a man who sported a man bag and if so did his masculinity diminish in any way in your eyes?

Oh dear, I now need to get myself a man bag

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I carried a satchel to school in the 1960s. What's the difference between a satchel and a man bag?

It's a genuine question.

When you were at school you had not yet achieved "man"hood therefore the concept of the "man" bag did not apply to you.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Rucksacks have their place. When I strike out across the Downs the man bag is forsaken for a pad strapped backpack with vented back mesh and external bottle holders. Combine this with a breathable outer layer, sturdy footwear and some multi-pocket action slacks and your bound to illicit a few cheery "morning"'s as you pass fellow walkers* who see your kit and recognise you as one of their own.

* fully expecting that to be edited by one letter in a quote.

snigger, snigger

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Are you deliberately trying to provoke me? Away with you woman.

I've changed my mind, what on earth would I put in a man bag?
Going back to your original question a male colleague once turned up with what can only be described as a giant handbag, it was bright green.
We all laughed, never saw it again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here