Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Got sent the viny LP 10 days ago, it hasn't been off the turntable. Maybe see you tonight.

You won't I'm afraid as I'm putting something on tonight at The Albert. The reschedule of the Cold Pumas date did for me.

I saw them just before Xmas in London and also doing a short set at the Hookworms 'Escape From The Great Escape' thing. They're still brilliant. They might even treat you to an old one.

May catch them in London on 2 September.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The new Factory Floor album's out today as well.

I was so disappointed by the first one. Apart from the old singles, it really didn't do much for me.

This one seems to rectify that. Much closer to their live brilliance.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not that into modern R&B and so I'm not au fait with why Frank Ocean is such a big deal but my music feeds from FB and Twitter have been going mad about him for the last few weeks and so I've been listening to his new album this morning to try to understand why. Overall - I'm left with feeling very underwhelmed. I guess I'm just not his target audience. The first track 'Nikes' is very good until the autotune kicks in and thereafter the album blurs into one long 'meh'. Lots of "woo-ooh, yeah, yeah....uh, uh". Not my cup of tea at all, I'm afraid.

Edit - the link was no good. Apologies.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not that into modern R&B and so I'm not au fait with why Frank Ocean is such a big deal but my music feeds from FB and Twitter have been going mad about him for the last few weeks and so I've been listening to his new album this morning to try to understand why. Overall - I'm left with feeling very underwhelmed. I guess I'm just not his target audience. The first track 'Nikes' is very good until the autotune kicks in and thereafter the album blurs into one long 'meh'. Lots of "woo-ooh, yeah, yeah....uh, uh". Not my cup of tea at all, I'm afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx7t1WySc_I

I agree with you to the point where I won't even both to give this a listen. His first album came out to huge hype and was actually incredibly boring after the first listen.

It definitely helps his cause that he was a member of such a vicious hip hop outfit like Odd Future, who have some very confused lyrics regarding homosexuality, and then came out as gay. All added to the hype.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can anyone help here? This is a video by Brighton band Safe To Swim - and pretty good it is too - but I'm trying to work out which street in Brighton it was filmed in. It looks a bit like Upper Lewes Road but the glass building in the background looks to me like either the old Amex building or near New England House. Anyone got any ideas?

It starts at around the 22 sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yEH50XDCGg#t=22

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can anyone help here? This is a video by Brighton band Safe To Swim - and pretty good it is too - but I'm trying to work out which street in Brighton it was filmed in. It looks a bit like Upper Lewes Road but the glass building in the background looks to me like either the old Amex building or near New England House. Anyone got any ideas?

It starts at around the 22 sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yEH50XDCGg#t=22

That's Campbell Road near Preston Circus. Have a look on the street view on Google Earth.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
:)Any other reviews due soon Buzzer. I'm running out of new material to listen to

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Some upcoming releases:

Still Corners - Dead Blue (sept 16)
Duo follow up 2014's Still Pleasures with more slick indie pop.

Lorelle Meets the Obsolete - Balance (Sept 16)
Mexican husband-wife team blend more shoegaze, Krautrock, Psych and Jesus & Mary Chain for 4th LP

No video yet, have to make do with
https://obsoletelorelle.bandcamp.com/track/la-distinci-n

Vanishing twin - Choose Your Own Adventure (Sept 16)
Debut release from London based band producing mellow and pastoral flavoured pop.

Carla Dal Forno - You know What It's Like (Oct 7)
Reviewed 'Fast Moving Cars' further back in the thread, now an album will be following. More off-kilter pop with elements of dub and post-punk. Second single is even better than the first and suits its simple but unsettling video.

Katie Gately - Color (Oct 14)
Another laptop musician who is often compared with Holly Herndon. Her last two singles 'Pipes' and 'Pivot' were both well over 10 minutes long and experimented with forms and sound with the former made soley from her vocals stretched out into strange and unsettling patterns. Expecting 'Tuck' to follow suit it blows you away with its basic pop premise whilst retaining the experiments with sound. Best song of the year so far in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just bought the new Thee Oh Sees album on double clear green vinyl. It's a thing of beauty.

Also, like [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] (I think) , I am now switching to 100% vinyl. It's much better and much more engaging.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Some upcoming releases:

Still Corners - Dead Blue (sept 16)
Duo follow up 2014's Still Pleasures with more slick indie pop.

Lorelle Meets the Obsolete - Balance (Sept 16)
Mexican husband-wife team blend more shoegaze, Krautrock, Psych and Jesus & Mary Chain for 4th LP

No video yet, have to make do with
https://obsoletelorelle.bandcamp.com/track/la-distinci-n

Vanishing twin - Choose Your Own Adventure (Sept 16)
Debut release from London based band producing mellow and pastoral flavoured pop.

Carla Dal Forno - You know What It's Like (Oct 7)
Reviewed 'Fast Moving Cars' further back in the thread, now an album will be following. More off-kilter pop with elements of dub and post-punk. Second single is even better than the first and suits its simple but unsettling video.

Katie Gately - Color (Oct 14)
Another laptop musician who is often compared with Holly Herndon. Her last two singles 'Pipes' and 'Pivot' were both well over 10 minutes long and experimented with forms and sound with the former made soley from her vocals stretched out into strange and unsettling patterns. Expecting 'Tuck' to follow suit it blows you away with its basic pop premise whilst retaining the experiments with sound. Best song of the year so far in my opinion.

Lorelle Meets The Obsolete & Vanishing Twin both play a free psych all nighter at Sticky Mike's on Friday 30 September. The bill is full of stuff playing Liverpool psych fest the weekend before.

Can't wait for that Katie Gately album to drop. Fully expect it to be AOTY material.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I've just bought the new Thee Oh Sees album on double clear green vinyl. It's a thing of beauty.

Also, like [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] (I think) , I am now switching to 100% vinyl. It's much better and much more engaging.

Yep. A joyful addiction. If I ever die, head to Portslade charity shops as my girlfriend has no interest in keeping any of the 1000+ records.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep. A joyful addiction. If I ever die, head to Portslade charity shops as my girlfriend has no interest in keeping any of the 1000+ records.

You have over 1000 slabs of vinyl? Crikey. Very impressive. I reckon I have around 1500 CDs and around 40-50 vinyl long players now. I had a pretty big collection in my late teens/early 20s but stupidly sold it all and moved to CDs.

But yes, when your time comes I'll make my way to Portslade. Thanks for the tip!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

We need to get a group of us together to establish a trust that will house our vinyl collections in a South Coast museum when we pass - perhaps Lottery money could be used to prevent these important national treasures from being split up and purchased by bloated plutocrats?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We need to get a group of us together to establish a trust that will house our vinyl collections in a South Coast museum when we pass - perhaps Lottery money could be used to prevent these important national treasures from being split up and purchased by bloated plutocrats?

Woah, that's actually an idea . . .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here