Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Oscar really be blamed?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand taking Ince off to attack more but what I dont u derstand ix bringing on JFC who offers us nothing and us league 1 standard at the best. Yes I know he is young but he is also useless for us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can understand taking Ince off to attack more but what I dont u derstand ix bringing on JFC who offers us nothing and us league 1 standard at the best. Yes I know he is young but he is also useless for us.

Agree re JFC. Was hoping he'd 'kick on' this season, but he's been poor in the main.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
On the field only. Off it the buck stops with Burke and Barber. There were bizarre decisions from Oscar today but he can't go 4-4-2 if we don't have any strikers in the squad.

Can't agree with this as I seem to remember Burke bringing in a proven striker in Lita who despite scoring on his debut never started for us. This at a time we had Barnes and he still did not play 2 strikers.

Can't think why Grabban turned us down perhaps he would rather further his career bagging goals on a week by week basis than sit in the stands watching our increasingly isolated single striker become more disillusioned week by week.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The players have zero confidence at present, seen it before at times and it is not nice.

The only way to turn this around is if they reach a level of belief in themselves which is sadly void at present.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

On the contrary I thought Jake had his best game for a while though I agree it was an odd switch, I'd have brought on Kaz or Solly rather than shove Dave out to the right, he plays best when he's in the middle.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The players have zero confidence at present, seen it before at times and it is not nice.

The only way to turn this around is if they reach a level of belief in themselves which is sadly void at present.

This is it, looked at the body language today and the players are on a downer, this is not good as we need to in confident mood. \with lack of confidence brings fatigue and then we lose games. The truth is however, we have not been playing well for some time and now the results are going against us. I'm not sure that the automatic inclusion of Jesse is having a positive effect on the team, strange though it seems there appears to be different levels of thinking on the pitch and I detected friction among some players yesterday which I have never seen before. It was lacklustre yesterday and several players appear to be unmotivated, not least of all Ulloa.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Pulling out on signing Van dijk last year has been our biggest mistake.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Maybe Oscar does not see selecting players as part of his job......

I can't imagine any manager or coach hasn't got a list as long as his arm of players he would like in his squad, Burke should be aware of that list and chasing whichever realistic targets that are available, after all it's not like I'm suggesting a return to the 70's when the manager would spend half his time on the motorway going to scout players in some or other northern outpost.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That is Garcia and Jones's job to get the team believing in themselves and the system of playing

Correct.... However would you pay any attention to Jones if he was trying to tell you what to do ! And as for Oscar I would probably fall asleep during his team talk. Neither of those two inspire me, and there my friends be the trouble me thinks.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can't imagine any manager or coach hasn't got a list as long as his arm of players he would like in his squad, Burke should be aware of that list and chasing whichever realistic targets that are available, after all it's not like I'm suggesting a return to the 70's when the manager would spend half his time on the motorway going to scout players in some or other northern outpost.

I think with a manager that is exactly how it works but in our setup (head coach) we have the model where Garcia asks for a certain type of player, Burke sources possibilities based on what is available then Garcia rubber stamps them before the club try and seal the deal.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I think with a manager that is exactly how it works but in our setup (head coach) we have the model where Garcia asks for a certain type of player, Burke sources possibilities based on what is available then Garcia rubber stamps them before the club try and seal the deal.
I dont doubt that's exactly how it works, what I'm getting at is Oscar MUST have names in mind that he would like. Surely a combination of the two methods would be best?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I dont doubt that's exactly how it works, what I'm getting at is Oscar MUST have names in mind that he would like. Surely a combination of the two methods would be best?

I hope he does as at moment it is Burke getting all the criticism for signings which is odd as we have no idea to what extent he has been involved in selecting or sourcing. For example on the surface given Spanish connections would Rodriguez be an oscar choice or a Burke discovery?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I hope he does as at moment it is Burke getting all the criticism for signings which is odd as we have no idea to what extent he has been involved in selecting or sourcing. For example on the surface given Spanish connections would Rodriguez be an oscar choice or a Burke discovery?
I'm sure I've read Burke has an encyclopedic knowledge of players across europe so that one could be anybodys guess. Personally I don.t care who finds the players as long as they are affordable and an improvement on what we have.As we have seen this season if there isn't that continual improvement it's not long until other clubs start overtaking you.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
It's time people stopped saying OG has no input from the touchline just because he's not jumping up and down waving his arms about. This guy comes from the Barca school of coaching where the top coaches have control over their emotions and it's not his fault that our forwards can't score from the peno. spot or 6 yds. In the last 2 home games numerous chances have been wasted, different players tried upfront and still they can't score. His hands are tried because it's clear the squad is not good enough, here's a little fact 7 or 8 of the 17 picked yesterday may not be here next season, out of contact or loan ended,some of the others are clearly not of the standard required so this close-season the club and by that I mean the men holding the money will have to make a really big decision on the way we go forward or not.The club has in 3 seasons paid good money for a handful of players but too many of them have underperformed or been injuried and I believe the club banked too much on getting promoted last season and this season the moneymen have tighten the spending. Finually to all those calling for LL to start ask yourself why it is that both Poyet and now OG don't trust him from the off, they must see something there not to trust.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As I have often said anywhere in the top ten Im happy with as I never thought wed do better. This season was always going to be hard and I thought we were overachieving and too much was expected of us from last year. However, the buck always stops with the manager and three straight defeats and no goals being scored is a big issue. Ulloas miss was seriously worrying as was the number of individual mistakes by players who previously have been very reliable. I am not going to make any assumptions why this is happening but Oscar has to take some blame because that's his job.

I am not however, at all in favour of getting rid. He and the team is in a bad place now and this is when we see what he can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here