Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Teville Gate

Mark Mywords

Jun 21, 2016
I remember my mum used to buy her toilet rolls from a company there who supplied cleaning products to the licensed and catering trade. They also had a branch in Hollingdean Brighton

That's right, on the north corner opposite the tax offices, went on to become a video shop before the likes of Blockbusters took over, or was it a video shop first then a cleaning suppliers?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
In the 1970's I worked at Heathershaws, the music shop round the corner from the station and I also had my engagement (ill-fated) at the Station Hotel. The area was still quite nice at that time.

You probably knew my dad. He was MU secretary in the mid 70's. He knew all the Heathershaws crowd and bought my first (and ony) violin there.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Wasn't teville gate home to the national front for a while, I remember seeing stickers all over the place. Haven't been to Worthing for at least 15 years, I would have thought the place would have turned into houses by now.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As I recall the original problem with development was that Comet had one of their most profitable shops on the site and refused to let go of their lease. Now they have gone the coast is clear for development.

It is an arse of an area though. Would like to see something special on it, but to be frank literally anything would be better than what has been there for far too long.

I believe the pharmacy also refused to move out for quite a long time but they, and Comet, have been gone for years now and the place is still an abomination.

Over the years the Council has had a myriad of plans, none of which have ever got off the start line. Bulldoze it and plant some trees. At least that would be easy on the eye for residents and visitors alike.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did they close HD Steele garage/petrol station because of Teville Gate development or was it because they wanted to move out of the main town. Became a car selling lot but not sure if it still is as since mum passed away 7 years ago this weekend dont go down there very often

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Good stuff from Richard Vobes - gives you the full flavour of the depressing decay ( even if he got his dates a bit muddled)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

“I’ll leave you drooping in the twitten “ he said, at the end of his walk to the old chap.
That’s how I remember that area growing up as a lad.

The excellent Sussex model shop was there for years if I remember rightly. I would often come out of there with my young sons Dinky or Tiny Tonker in my hands.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
“I’ll leave you drooping in the twitten “ he said, at the end of his walk to the old chap.
That’s how I remember that area growing up as a lad.

The excellent Sussex model shop was there for years if I remember rightly. I would often come out of there with my young sons Dinky or Tiny Tonker in my hands.
SMS is still going, moved up the road towards Broadwater.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
SMS is still going, moved up the road towards Broadwater.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Yeah great shop. Painted Only Fools and Horses luminous yellow. I used to go in there all the time when my boy was small. I used to have to give my son £20 a week pocket money just so I could go in there and buy models for him so I could them. F.....g computer games.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Good stuff this.

When you realise how potentially vast this site is there really should be something ground breaking done.

Could they restate the pond in the middle of a fantastic environmentally friendly development of shops, restaurants, cinema etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here