Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Hi. Do any of you have Garmin that gives you the vo2 max reading and then race predictor times? If so, how accurate do you find them ?

Yes, mine does (Forerunner 235). I have no idea how accurate the Vo2 reading is (but at 51, for a 62 year old man, it seems implausibly high to me). The race predictor times also seem a bit fast, especially on the longer distances: It's currently showing:

5K: 21:43 (my actual PB is 21:59, and I'm currently running a good half minute or so slower than that, but the predictor is not a massive way out)
10K: 45:03 (my actual PB: is 47:19, and that was 18 months ago - currently running slower than that)
Half: 1:39:48 (my only ever half was 1:47:22, so again that looks rather optimistic)
Marathon: 3:27:31 (never run one, but if I thought I could get that sort of time, I'd be ecstatic....)

The other main source of inaccuracy on my Garmin is the "run indoors" mode, which always gives a total distance covered considerably lower than the treadmill itself gives - sometimes as much as 15-20 per cent less.

The wrist heart rate function, however, seems remarkably accurate on the few occasions I've tested it against a chest strap

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I'm going to get there early to avoid the huge baggage train required by the super ego team

I am still IN. I was hoping to be able to carry one of the Ego's bags, perhaps be allowed to throw petals on the floor in front of them, or even lie down over any puddles that may be ahead of them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, mine does (Forerunner 235). I have no idea how accurate the Vo2 reading is (but at 51, for a 62 year old man, it seems implausibly high to me). The race predictor times also seem a bit fast, especially on the longer distances: It's currently showing:

5K: 21:43 (my actual PB is 21:59, and I'm currently running a good half minute or so slower than that, but the predictor is not a massive way out)
10K: 45:03 (my actual PB: is 47:19, and that was 18 months ago - currently running slower than that)
Half: 1:39:48 (my only ever half was 1:47:22, so again that looks rather optimistic)
Marathon: 3:27:31 (never run one, but if I thought I could get that sort of time, I'd be ecstatic....)

The other main source of inaccuracy on my Garmin is the "run indoors" mode, which always gives a total distance covered considerably lower than the treadmill itself gives - sometimes as much as 15-20 per cent less.

The wrist heart rate function, however, seems remarkably accurate on the few occasions I've tested it against a chest strap

I have the same watch and my Vo2 Max is 45. no idea if this is accurate or not but Wiki reckons average untrained male is 35- 40

Race predictor was
22.40 for 5k (I've done 22.03)
47.01 for 10K (I've done 46.50 but was nowhere near that on Sunday)
1.44.11 for half marathon (done 1.45 and was stuck in a slow pack at the start of that so that seems about right)
3.36.24 for marathon :)lolol: YES PLEASE)

So I would agree with [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] that the marathon predictor is wildly optimistic but the others seem about bang on to me.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I'm in for the weakest link. I intend to drink heavily between now and then but I can still beat those pussy's in the super ego team!

I'll be happy with any leg really.

Who are you calling a pussy, ya pussy!

I'll be drinking pints of Whisky and eating raw Gazelle meat.... grrrrr

Let the battle of Dykes Mound begin! :O)

Oh Yeah I'm happy with any leg too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Lovely route - point to point from Slindon College, up on to the SDW then simply follow that to QE Park I think. There is a half marathon and a marathon relay usually going on at the same time, all very friendly and you'll find yourself running with people that are only doing 6/7 miles. You park at QE Park and they bus you down to the start - seems like a long way in a bus, let alone on foot. I think the start is staggered too (used to be anyway) - get on the early one if you can. Regular aid stations but will probably only have water, gels and jelly babies

The route doesn't have the most dramatic SDW climbs so it's not too bad. I would say it's more forgiving than Beachy or Moyleman - certainly my time have been faster on it by 20 mins or so typically, but still 30 mins off road marathon time.

As for having had enough of the Downs, I'm pacing a pal on the last section of the SDW100 on Saturday (night).......:moo:

Cheers Dazzer – yeah, I've only just signed up for it so don't have any instructions but found out some of the details with a bit of digging. I'm really looking forward to it and catching up with a bunch of mates. Not fussed about a time, but a more forgiving course than Moyleman sounds great to me! I'll be there early – that's for sure! Half starts at 10 and the marathon at 9:30 I think – something like that...

Just the one leg of the SDW sounds good. All of it? One day, maybe... :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers Dazzer – yeah, I've only just signed up for it so don't have any instructions but found out some of the details with a bit of digging. I'm really looking forward to it and catching up with a bunch of mates. Not fussed about a time, but a more forgiving course than Moyleman sounds great to me! I'll be there early – that's for sure! Half starts at 10 and the marathon at 9:30 I think – something like that...

Just the one leg of the SDW sounds good. All of it? One day, maybe... :lol:

All on here if you need it : https://www.209events.com/uk-runnin...rathon-slindon-to-qe-park-petersfield#simple1

I'm doing Ditchling to Eastbourne so about 30 miles, probably starting about 8pm so will be out all night I reckon.......seriously thinking about the whole thing again next year though (despite what I said !) :shootself

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
All on here if you need it : https://www.209events.com/uk-runnin...rathon-slindon-to-qe-park-petersfield#simple1

I'm doing Ditchling to Eastbourne so about 30 miles, probably starting about 8pm so will be out all night I reckon.......seriously thinking about the whole thing again next year though (despite what I said !) :shootself

Nice, I've never been West of the River Adur on the SDW, so it'll be a new experience for me!

Not sure about next year for the 100 – I might be up to 50 by then, though...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nice, I've never been West of the River Adur on the SDW, so it'll be a new experience for me!

Not sure about next year for the 100 – I might be up to 50 by then, though...

You'll love it - some really lovely spots on the route. I think the course is faster than a lot of similar races because most of the downhills are long and gentle so you can pick up a decent amount of time on them (so go easy on the climbs - the one near Cocking is a right sod - around half way - there will be a big downhill field with a relay changeover, cross the road at the bottom and then up it goes. I don't run any steep climbs on events like this)

If you can do a trail marathon you can do a 50. Don't need a lot of additional training, just a few back to back weekends

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I marvel at those of you having done or contemplating trail marathons or ultras. Sadly don't think my frame/gait will ever allow.

In a slightly connected fashion the WIND atm can do one.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Only done one. Forget time, forget racing, enjoy being away from roads and enjoy the camaraderie. I can see you're interested. I'm of slight frame but training of the pace and adding beneficial oils, such as coconut oil, to my diet get me there. Hope to be out there next year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I marvel at those of you having done or contemplating trail marathons or ultras. Sadly don't think my frame/gait will ever allow.

Don't be ridiculous.......at your average trail marathon or ultra you see all sorts. It's not racing snake territory. The are LOADS of us that eat and drink too much and just plod along. Try it !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I assumed you were slight of frame but thinking of it you are Bigtomfu. Plenty of fuel on board in that case.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Basically don't knock it until you've tried it (if you have even a sniff of an urge to give it a go).

Don't be ridiculous.......at your average trail marathon or ultra you see all sorts. It's not racing snake territory. The are LOADS of us that eat and drink too much and just plod along. Try it !

^^^ What he said.

COMPLETELY different to running road races. No time pressure, more of a laugh, fewer egos, people of all shapes and sizes and generally great routes with stunning scenery. Better on your legs too. I can't recommend Beachy Head marathon (my first one, last year) highly enough.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I feel a bit of a charlatan posting about a mere 10k after all of the above posts... however my Yateley 10k series marker has been set at 39:49.

I got dipped on the line after a sprint finish by a lad who must have been at least twenty years my junior! (And then nearly hurled)...

I get dipped on the line by lads nearly 50 years my junior!

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Reminded me that the Weakest Link relay is 2 weeks today. Time to check out the teams. If anyone can't do it let us know. We have [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] ready to step in as first reserve. The teams are NOT ordered by times or Leg to be run. Order of leg run is down to each team. Usually fastest runner last and slowest runner first but current form, injuries and shitting out may change that.

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

The ego team is [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

The wooden spoon team is [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (?) [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

The super egos are streets ahead of the egos at the moment. So team is set. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] , however, are fighting for the first leg in the ego team rather than the last two in the wooden spoon team. My recent best is 23:26 which puts [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] well ahead but a decent run in the next 10 days means I could get promotion. So Simgull watch your back and BEs brother let us know your current times.
Here's the link http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

I thought I was doing OK until last week, Parkrun at the end of May I was down to 23.07, last week, lined up took three steps and had immediate warning signals in my left ankle, calf and glute, never had anything like it!. I dropped pace immediately and jogged round in 25.30. Not done anything this week and I'll try again tomorrow...

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I assumed you were slight of frame but thinking of it you are Bigtomfu. Plenty of fuel on board in that case.

Six foot four and about 16 1/2 stone!

What's put me off in the past has been the fear of being stopped because there's a time cut off.

I'd easily be on 13-15 minute miles in such a race I expect. (Run comfortably at 10 minute miles on the road over 10-15 miles)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here