Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beasant still premiership class?

Rochester Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Dickensian Rochester
I don't think so do you.....

Beasant still has top-flight dreams

Dave Beasant will sign a new contract with Brighton if the terms are right, according to his solicitor - but the veteran goalkeeper still believes he can play in the Premiership.

Beasant moved to the Withdean Stadium on a short-term deal in January and, at the age of 43, became Steve Coppell's first-choice keeper with Michel Kuipers sidelined by injury.

The former Wimbledon captain, who lifted the FA Cup with the Dons in 1988, is wanted by Coppell for another season but has already turned down Albion's initial offer of a one-year contract.

The Brighton boss is under heavy financial constraints on the south coast following the club's relegation from Division One last season, and Coppell has admitted that most of his money will be spent on finding players to partner Bobby Zamora up front.

But negotiations with Beasant are ongoing and the 44-year-old's lawyer Tim Bailey, of Independent Sports Management, insists his client wants to stay with the Seagulls.

Bailey said: "I think he is still keen to do that but obviously the terms of his contract are important.

"I know Brighton are going to be under pressure financially after relegation. But if the terms are right then I think he will sign."

Bailey also confirmed Brighton are the only club to make an official offer to Beasant, but expects interest in the the experienced keeper to increase closer to the start of the new season.

"As far as Dave's concerned he can still play at Premiership level," said Bailey. "Realistically, the First Division is probably the highest level where Dave can be a club's number one goalkeeper rather than back-up.

"Talks with Brighton have not yet been concluded and I'm not aware of any other offers. But I've found through experience that around this time, when clubs return to pre-season training, they find they need a keeper, and most people know that Dave's available."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here