Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Why didn't she include Gilmour & Adele, bigger than any she mentions?
Disgustingly she omits a far more famous 'media' person Julie Burchill & legend Nick Cave both who have tragically lost sons in the last few weeks. Can someone ask her why?

Yeah and what about Steve Coogan?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Brightons celeb list really needs a shot in the arm (not in the traditional Brighton sense). We need some proper big hitters, jay z or kardashians. It's so boring bloody Lou Beale etc.

In fact Bruce Jenner would be ideal. Time for Brighton to properly move into the big league.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Dont understand the fuss. Brighton has always had a sleazy reputation. From the dirty weekend, Queers Piers and souvenirs to "London by the sea". People who I've met tend to take the view the people of Brighton are generally useless. They don't produce anything useful or practical and couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. To Boho and to many stoners.

But i'm sure if you named any town I could put a negative spin on it. Isn't worth getting chippy about as I'm sure I could say some kind things as well.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Point of info on this. Gaz doesn't live here anymore, Norman Cook lives in Hove but has lived in the B&H area since the 80s, Annie Nightingale has lived here since forever, Eubank grew up here, Mark Little hasn't been since about 2010 and isn't even z-list celebrity status anymore, Cate Blanchett used to own a house in Kemptown. Apart from that....

Also, I'm pretty sure The Levellers are born and bred Brightonians. Could be wrong.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Dont understand the fuss. Brighton has always had a sleazy reputation. From the dirty weekend, Queers Piers and souvenirs to "London by the sea". People who I've met tend to take the view the people of Brighton are generally useless. They don't produce anything useful or practical and couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. To Boho and to many stoners.

But i'm sure if you named any town I could put a negative spin on it. Isn't worth getting chippy about as I'm sure I could say some kind things as well.

Exactly my thinking.
Strange that all the people who can afford to move into one of the fastest house price rise cities, should actually want to if it is such a s**t place.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I love Brighton and Hove. Head in either direction along the coast and there are some pretty moribund places I could name.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So a woman who writes for the Torygraph won't be moving here. What a loss. I don't know how I'll cope.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I prefer Worthing to Brighton despite being an Albion fan. The peaceful nature of the seafront compared to Brighton, the lack of hills driving up and down trying to park.

It has been said before, Brighton has been described as a little London by the sea.

theboybilly

I always wanted to move down to Brighton from an early age...I love the place. When I got the financial wherewithal to get on the property ladder I couldn't quite find what I wanted so moved my options along the coast to Shoreham - a decision I have never regretted. But there is something about Brighton (and Hove) that I have an affinity with. It's the best place to be bar none.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
All i've got to say on the subject is Eff Off all the foreigners and outsiders who have swamped the town over the years and Eff Off all the trippers and give the town back to true Brightonians to live in peace and quiet like we used to.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All i've got to say on the subject is Eff Off all the foreigners and outsiders who have swamped the town over the years and Eff Off all the trippers and give the town back to true Brightonians to live in peace and quiet like we used to.

Quite right, that bloody Prince Regent has a lot to answer for.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Perhaps we should build a wall.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah the 1600s were great weren't they.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
London born and bred. Maybe you could get a job as a features writer for the Telegraph :smile:

Are you calling my mum a liar? lol

She has said for as long as I can remember, whenever Annie Nightingale was on the radio (in fact), that they both went to Varndean. Next you'll be telling me that man I have always known as Uncle Barry isn't in fact an uncle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, I'm pretty sure The Levellers are born and bred Brightonians. Could be wrong.

The singer is German. And none of the others were born in Brighton.

As an aside I'd actually say, given the transient nature of the population and the history of the place, you're probably more "Brighton" if you weren't born in the city but moved there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you calling my mum a liar? lol

She has said for as long as I can remember, whenever Annie Nightingale was on the radio (in fact), that they both went to Varndean. Next you'll be telling me that man I have always known as Uncle Barry isn't in fact an uncle.

Sorry to break the news but Uncle Barry is actually your auntie :lolol:

She may have gone to Varndean in her youth but dispute her very strong Brighton connections I understood she was born and raised in London. A quick Google backs this up. If anyone is "Brighton" though it's her. If I have a modicum of her energy and enthusiasm for new music at her age I'll be very happy.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I could have inserted any major City name; Auckland, Sydney, Bangkok, Lisbon, New York, Paris, Berlin etc and you would have come back with the same reply.

I'm just pointing out that the problems you listed with Brighton are endemic in ALL cities.

In fairness Vancouver is a great city, but no city is perfect, they all have their problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here