Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McDonalds at 40 have fun on their message board

I think this thread will be a long distant memory if I did that. Perhaps you would be kind enough to give us all a flavour of it. Does it concern only mcd or all fast food, and what is fast food ?

Well it really is an interesting in depth read so far too much to cover here but it starts off with a guy buying a hot dog stall, gradually expanding his business and winds up with 5000 cattle a day being herded through a slaughterhouse being butchered by an unskilled, poorly paid, mostly immigrant workforce with little or no rights, working in one of (if not the most) dangerous occupations in the US splitting open intestines and spreading s**t and E.coli 0157H:7 everywhere. You can guess where that winds up - mostly in children's meals to whom the industry is geared. That's just the gory bit, the politics behind the industry are equally as disturbing but like I said, give it a read, you might just change your mind when you next see those golden arches.

Last edited:

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
It's the sugar / corn syrup that gets kids craving it plus they direct market to kids from a very early age.

As an aside, I find it really depressing seeing old people eating in there.

The saddest thing I have ever seen was an old lady with a trolley bag , trying to get into the western road branch on Christmas Day .............

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Maccy D's taught me the first and truest key to business success, Communication, Coordination and Cooperation.

And I met Ronald McDonald.

And my mates had £1 specials.

And I had loads of spots.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's the sugar / corn syrup that gets kids craving it plus they direct market to kids from a very early age.

yes, except there isnt much if any sugar in the kids stuff. chicken nuggetts & chips have zero sugar for example. milkshakes a different story.

i like the streetwise menu burgers, £1.50 for a double cheseburger in 2min including queue time, great for a post beer chaser on the way home. prefer BurgerKing if i was going for a full burger though.

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
Yes I can remember reading an article in the paper when M were first announced. There is still a Wimpy in Carmarthen, the one that got away?

Wimpy is still going.

Me and my partner go to the Wimpy in Worthing town on a regular basis.

2 for 1 on the open burgers, bang on! :drool:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Well it really is an interesting in depth read so far too much to cover here but it starts off with a guy buying a hot dog stall, gradually expanding his business and winds up with 5000 cattle a day being herded through a slaughterhouse being butchered by an unskilled, poorly paid, mostly immigrant workforce with little or no rights, working in one of (if not the most) dangerous occupations in the US splitting open intestines and spreading s**t and E.coli 0157H:7 everywhere. You can guess where that winds up - mostly in children's meals to whom the industry is geared. That's just the gory bit, the politics behind the industry are equally as disturbing but like I said, give it a read, you might just change your mind when you next see those golden arches.

I doubt I'll change my mind. We are not in America, abbatoirs are highly regulated here, and frankly couldn't give a toss about the politics. History can be interesting though, but not always relevant to current day.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've eaten there. I couldn't go again. I know it's fast food, but if you want a meal or a take away in Brighton there are scores of places that produce decent meals at not dissimilar prices.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
MaccyD's? Only good for train station, beer fuelled filler for pre /post match away games. Convenience only.

Is the correct answer. Perfect for when I'm late meeting mates for a beer up, as I can shovel 2 cheeseburgers down while walking from the station to the pub.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The saddest thing I have ever seen was an old lady with a trolley bag , trying to get into the western road branch on Christmas Day .............

My old dear wouldn't listen. She was dying for a rogering from Ronald McDonald. The Queens speech always has that effect on her.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I can't agree with this. It is the typical of a francise operation, employ young people on or about the minimum wage and work them hard but offer the carrot of Career Progression. Why are they able to offer this progression to store management ? almost certainly due to burnout by the demands of the target led business to achieve year on year growth. Managers basically are run in to the ground and they are either forced out or leave due to stress.

Disagree with it all you want, the store I worked at had around 10 managers, I can think of 6 of them that have been with the company over 10 years, the others fairly recently started out at the bottom rung 'flipping burgers' as you say.
The demands of target led business to achieve year on year growth is the aim of most successful companies is it not? It certainly is in every job I have been in.

Dec 29, 2011
Why do people still 'eat' there?

Where do you eat when you go out then? Especially when you need a meal quickly. I also assume you don't get drunk because of the damage that causes to your body, have never smoked and never eat unhealthy food. You sound like a right laugh :rolleyes:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The photo's of a Big Mac are done like that to show every ingredient (burger, cheese, sauce, etc) that is in one.

I cannot stand MacD's but if I am forced in there by the kids or there is literally nothing else around, I will have a McChicken Sandwich as these are better than a burger for me. To be fair though, the breakfasts are excellent, especially the sausage and egg mcmuffin.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Anyone who has a vague concern for the way the planet is going will realise companies like md's are a huge part of the problem and should regard them with the scorn they deserve.

There is a Richard Linklater film, Fast Food Nation, well worth anyone's time, whatever your initial opinion. It's a drama around facts, looking at the industry, top to bottom. Very interesting.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Very addictive food thanks to the drug MSG used as an ingredient. Mcdonalds is addictive for a reason, be warned.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
yes, except there isnt much if any sugar in the kids stuff. chicken nuggetts & chips have zero sugar for example. milkshakes a different story.

i like the streetwise menu burgers, £1.50 for a double cheseburger in 2min including queue time, great for a post beer chaser on the way home. prefer BurgerKing if i was going for a full burger though.

I didn't know that, I have to say I would be very surprised if they had zero sugar in them. They will have sugar under a different name or a sweetener at least I would have thought? May be wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here