Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Morteza Pouraliganji

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I would suggest that comparatively Ken Whitfield, Norman Gall, John Napier Graham Cross and Steve Foster were as effective for us as Lewis Dunk.

I used to know Peter Feely who was a centre forward who played against The Albion for both Gillingham and Bournemouth in the Gall Napier era. Pete always told me that our best centre half at that time was Graham Winstanley, probably because Winstanley was quite quick and Pete wasn't, I hope he never reads this!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Mark Lawrenson!?

By a long shot.
ML was one of the finest defenders in the world and it was a great shame he opted to play for Ireland because England would have been so much better with him in the side. Sadly there isn’t much footage of him both defending and foraging Bambi like across the half way line with the ball at his feet so that the current crop of fans could see him in the stripes, and understand why he was so much betee than Dunk.
Dunk is good, Lawrenson was exceptional.

I would suggest that comparatively Ken Whitfield, Norman Gall, John Napier Graham Cross and Steve Foster were as effective for us as Lewis Dunk.

It's just so difficult to compare across the generations. Football was a different sport even in the times of Mark Lawrenson as defenders could get away with very poor challenges. My view is that players are so much fitter and technically superior these days that the older players simply wouldn't look as good if playing in the modern Premier League.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's just so difficult to compare across the generations. Football was a different sport even in the times of Mark Lawrenson as defenders could get away with very poor challenges. My view is that players are so much fitter and technically superior these days that the older players simply wouldn't look as good if playing in the modern Premier League.

I would agree but you can only judge on what you saw and what was available on the day. Dr Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile in 1954 now all milers in races do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He isn't wrong. Nor are you.
BG says that many posters here have blue and white tinted specs, and that Dunk isn't as good as many here think. That's definitely fair comment.

However, he also said this:
I do not think that if the fee Reading want for Moore and the fact that Mawson, who is better than Dunk, is going for £20m that there would be much difference in their respective fees
If we sell Dunk, and buy Moore, this summer, there will be a significant difference in their fees. To say there won't be is simply wrong. You can claim that opinions can't be wrong, but we all know that's bollox.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG says that many posters here have blue and white tinted specs, and that Dunk isn't as good as many here think. That's definitely fair comment.

If we sell Dunk, and buy Moore, this summer, there will be a significant difference in their fees. To say there won't be is simply wrong. You can claim that opinions can't be wrong, but we all know that's bollox.

Do we? You obviously know what value both our club and others place on both players either buying or selling.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I was only really commentating on BG's assessment of LD as a player. Transfer fees are different as they are set by supply and demand and it is fair to say that the demand for a Premier League defender like Dunk will be a fair bit higher than for a Championship one like Moore, regardless of BG's opinion ie I agree with you on that one.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Whilst I would desperately like this thread to get back onto its subject matter rather than pandering to BGs ego, anyone who thinks Mawson is better than Dunk is clearly deluded. If only that was the single example....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do we? You obviously know what value both our club and others place on both players either buying or selling.
I don't know the exact value Spurs place on Kane, and I don't know exactly what value we place on Murray, but it's still fair to say we'd sell Murray for less than Spurs would sell Kane. Anyone saying otherwise is simply wrong. Do you agree?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was only really commentating on BG's assessment of LD as a player. Transfer fees are different as they are set by supply and demand and it is fair to say that the demand for a Premier League defender like Dunk will be a fair bit higher than for a Championship one like Moore, regardless of BG's opinion ie I agree with you on that one.
Yeah, and I think some of the outrage on this thread is based on the post from BG I quoted, not simply on him saying he thinks LD is decent, but not amazing. IMO those disagreeing with BG here aren't against every single word he's said, but there's the odd thing that has stood out as being passed just a valid opinion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
posted by Triggaar

I don't know the exact value Spurs place on Kane, and I don't know exactly what value we place on Murray, but it's still fair to say we'd sell Murray for less than Spurs would sell Kane. Anyone saying otherwise is simply wrong. Do you agree?

Yes because there is a vast difference in class and ability but does that gulf exist between Dunk and Moore. I based my view on the price Fulham are paying for Mawson who I consider to be better than Dunk and nearer to an England call up, but others disagree, that is their prerogative.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes because there is a vast difference in class and ability
So we're in agreement that some things aren't just opinion, and that you can say someone is wrong if they think Murray is worth more than Kane. Now it's just a case of whether your opinion on the value of Dunk and Moore is far out enough for us all to agree you're wrong :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's just not a valid argument as you're not comparing like with like.

If players like Lawrenson were playing today, they'd just be fitter versions of the players that they were. ML looked equally at home in midfield as he did in defence, something no-one would ever say about Dunk. LD is clearly a class player and we're lucky to have him but Lawrenson was in a class of his owner, one of the best defenders in the world, not just in England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
LOL LOL - He has over 65 thousand posts

I have no intention of going through and looking for the ones I agree with
Just one will do. If I read something clever from BG, I'd remember it. Hell I'd print it out and frame it!

Sorry BG, I'm sure you feel similarly about me.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
posted by Triggaar

Yes because there is a vast difference in class and ability but does that gulf exist between Dunk and Moore. I based my view on the price Fulham are paying for Mawson who I consider to be better o before Dunk had had a Dunk and nearer to an England call up, but others disagree, that is their prerogative.

First point I would have agreed with you a year ago before Dunk had played a season in the PL - For that reason there is a gap but I don't know how big a gap because I have not seen enough of Moore to know how much of a gap. To be honest I haven't seen Moore at all really

The 2nd point. Again I really haven't seen Mawson too much but he is younger and you pay more for a prospect who managed to break into a PL team at an early age. Dunks progression has been slower - The fee for Dunk would be more. The only reason I say that is because I know we wouldn't sell for that level of fee. How much of a larger fee he would command I have no idea because I doubt he would be sold by the club at this stage.

I know this doesn't help my defense that you post a lot of good stuff but your thinking on how you got to your valuation I can actually see your logic, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must be remembered being a staunch BHA supporter who attends all home games, but very few away as I use a stream, the only times I see other teams players is when we play them or they are on MOTD.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just one will do. If I read something clever from BG, I'd remember it. Hell I'd print it out and frame it!

Sorry BG, I'm sure you feel similarly about me.

Only the other day he immediately started to say positive stuff on Bissouma and that is in my opinion a ''very good call'' even at this early stage because his views are shared by the people who signed him and those who will work with him.

He has also made good calls on Gaetan Bong in the past when others have slated him because again Bong had defied many people's expectations and had a decent season last year when many said he couldn't step up to be PL standard.

BG has always stated that Bong is the best left back at the club when others have doubted him on that front.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not sure about Bong being the best now as I have been impressed with Bernardo playing on the left as opposed to his first game at right back against Wimbledon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here