Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Railway flustercuck

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing going to London from Brighton all cancelled

Trouble is, every time the rail shits create a precedent and get away with it without harsh punishment, just makes it easier for them to do next time. So trains are 15, 20, 30, 60 minutes late and that becomes the accepted norm. Offer derisory compensation and it makes everything OK in their eyes. Despite customers missing meetings, missing flights, missing kissing their kids goodnight.

And today they'll have learnt that they can cut off the entire South of England from Gatwick and London with probably not much more in the way of consequences. It's a creeping corporate cancer totally unworthy of a supposedly first world country.

Yoda

English & European
Nothing going to London from Brighton all cancelled

This is what grinds my gears with GTR. When something goes wrong, they just cancel everything for that line.

The whole Brighton to Victoria is about 51 miles, the effected bit of line is only going to be a few miles max. **** trying to run an amended timetable for the rest of the line that isn't effected.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It will get fixed in a day or 2 , anyone struggling to get home will grumble a bit but no more than that.

Then it will be forgotten until the next time ( probably next week )

It's allowed to continue as allowed to continue !!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The DfT have to start working out - very quickly - which is going to cost more.

Either...

a. the millions, probably billions being lost in the economy for the continued chaos or
b. the millions, probably tens of millions, maybe even billions for them to sack Grayling, pay off GTR (for all GTR are doing is within the contract, and they have paid their liabilities up until September 2018 already), and starting again with a coherent, workable, professional system.

c. the billions needed to renew large parts of the infrastructure.

This is what grinds my gears with GTR. When something goes wrong, they just cancel everything for that line.
seems the case this time, though do normally run trains between bits working, i.e. Victoria to Gatwick/ThreeBridgesHHeath then you pick up the train south from there (its usually during the evening). also run trains via Lewes to bypass problems south of HHeath. who know why they cant run some services up as far as Gatwick even East Croydon and return. perhaps advise from outside not to do so as it would create problems with people expecting to complete journeys?

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It will get fixed in a day or 2 , anyone struggling to get home will grumble a bit but no more than that.

Then it will be forgotten until the next time ( probably next week )

It's allowed to continue as allowed to continue !!

Agree. We need a Stalinist approach to our railways now, some short sharp shock treatment to reset the culture of incompetence and apathy. The penalty for failure should now be forced labour, exile to St Helena, firing squad, tickets to Palace etc etc. Basically the flogging should continue until the morale improves. Sorted :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Somone on the ABC Facebook group alledged that they are getting in cut price materials from China. I have no idea if this is true or not but they basically seem to fail in any weather condition that isn't still, dry and 10-12 degrees c.

if they are sourcing parts from China, so what? if the part meets specification, its as good as from a British, German, Italian factory. China has a lot of rail itself and quite capable of manufacturing to spec.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And some people thought it a great idea for Gatwick to get a second runway, doubling the numbers using Gatwick Express.

The South East England network is creeking at the seems.

A major rethink is needed, cross party, and the infrastructure/land needed will cost £10B’s.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Agree. We need a Stalinist approach to our railways now, some short sharp shock treatment to reset the culture of incompetence and apathy. The penalty for failure should now be forced labour, exile to St Helena, firing squad, tickets to Palace etc etc. Basically the flogging should continue until the morale improves. Sorted :thumbsup:

Like this? Give Grayling a loaded revolver and send some hard case in to sort it. 'Shoot their chiefs of staff, deport the familes ...'

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Like this? Give Grayling a loaded revolver and send some hard case in to sort it. 'Shoot their chiefs of staff, deport the familes ...'

You're good! Very GOOD! I actually had that very scene in my mind when I wrote originally :)!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
if they are sourcing parts from China, so what? if the part meets specification, its as good as from a British, German, Italian factory. China has a lot of rail itself and quite capable of manufacturing to spec.

The comment was that it was cheap and substandard. From the bloke's profile on FB he looks like he works for the railway. He's also a Pompey fan so make of that what you will :lolol:

I assume by your comment that you've been out and inspected some Chinese rail parts factories? Further that, while you were out there, you took a translator you could trust to ensure that you weren't being sold a line by the government and/or mafia? You don't *know* the parts being used are good or not any more than I do and I was merely passing on an observation on a dedicated forum that has neither been deleted or moderated.

But if it's not the parts what is it? It's not the magic fvck-up fairy is it?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
And some people thought it a great idea for Gatwick to get a second runway, doubling the numbers using Gatwick Express.

The South East England network is creeking at the seems.

A major rethink is needed, cross party, and the infrastructure/land needed will cost £10B’s.

i always advocated a second runway at Gatwick on the basis/condition that the rail network would have to be improved, and there certainly would be the funding to do so (from Gatwick, not public)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The comment was that it was cheap and substandard. From the bloke's profile on FB he looks like he works for the railway. He's also a Pompey fan so make of that what you will :lolol:

I assume by your comment that you've been out and inspected some Chinese rail parts factories? Further that, while you were out there, you took a translator you could trust to ensure that you weren't being sold a line by the government and/or mafia? You don't *know* the parts being used are good or not any more than I do and I was merely passing on an observation on a dedicated forum that has neither been deleted or moderated.

But if it's not the parts what is it? It's not the magic fvck-up fairy is it?

see your Apple iPhone? very well constructed and made in China. along with an awful lot of good quality kit. they make tat too of course, but then so do the UK, European, US factories. the difference is in QA process applied and thats down to the company selling a product, not where it comes from. a blanket "chinese stuff is cheap rubbish" is prejudiced nonsense.

i dont rule out the parts, but there's the installation and maintenance to consider. or something of the wrong specification. or that it just broke and there's no one to blame but entropy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
i always advocated a second runway at Gatwick on the basis/condition that the rail network would have to be improved, and there certainly would be the funding to do so (from Gatwick, not public)

Another vote for Gatwick here. Just beggars belief that our rail network is so pathetically shit that it can't be trusted to run a reliable service a mere 30 miles down a straight track. It really is puerile. And is getting worse, mainly due to the lack of any meaningful penalties being imposed on the gravy train. In the end, it's a failure of government.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
:eek:

Approaching evening rush hour - current live Victoria -> Brighton departures board. Bloody good luck to anyone attempting it tonight :nono:

bbb.JPG

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
In more good news:

We anticipate disruption will continue until at least 07:00 tomorrow morning (Friday 6 July)

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Well I am in London Bridge and most trains are cancelled from there too. Just legged it to Waterloo and getting the train to Havant and back along the coast. This train is full. Extra 40mins on my journey but at least I should get home tonight!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here