Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Railway flustercuck

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
.....Yes, another one. Apparently little or nothing going past Haywards Heath at the moment due to a signal issue. Up to 20 trains stuck north of there apparently with those not yet at Three Bridges terminating there.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Just glad I have made it as far as Hassocks then. Might have to be a WFH tomorrow as I do not fancy being stuck in similar when the England game is on. And the trains are bound to be still knackered (as always).

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A couple of Friday's ago on a rare rail trip to London:

1. Journey from Brighton by Thameslink - train cancelled with little notice. Followed by a long wait for the next. A regular commuter said "this is common".

2. Return that afternoon, long before the rush hour, we caught the fast/express from Victoria to Brighton. Allegedly 50 minutes - it kept stopping for 10 to 15 minutes in obscure places - north Croydon, north of Redhill, north of Gatwick. Not a word on the tannoy. The 50 minutes almost doubled.

What a pathetic rail network we have in south east England.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Currently stuck on train that is heading to Littlehampton. Left Haywards Heath 25 mins late 15 mins ago, not even reached Wivelsfield. Signal problem apparently. Stuck here looking into someones back garden. The joy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs V was stuck at Hove in the station with the ticket barriers closed so about 100 people had to watch their connecting train sail by...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Commuting was shit under labour too. And Tory before that.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Correct.

And everyone hated British Rail with a passion, even though it only had to deal with half the passenger numbers.

This goes beyond party politics.

Britain has an early Victorian rail network, boxed in by urban sprawl, with horrendous bottlenecks such as Clapham Junction.

The Germans had a clean sheet in 1945 to start again. The French simply buy up and bulldoze anything in the way of TGV routes and won't be slowed by beautiful ecology.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Train diverted from Gatwick ‘fast’ to Littlehampton. Driver has ‘no idea’ if any trains back to Brighton after that.

Good ere innit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All the reasons to only go to the office one day a week

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All the reasons to only go to the office one day a week

This, but today was unfortunately that day.

Train diverted from Gatwick ‘fast’ to Littlehampton. Driver has ‘no idea’ if any trains back to Brighton after that.

Good ere innit.

Got turfed off at Three Bridges, now stuck between Balcombe and H Heath. My lad is on an earlier train and has been near/at H Heath for over half an hour.

Nothing has ever been as bad as the last couple of years, you're just collateral damage in a Tory fight against the workers

Mid 90s were still the worst IMO. Awful, unsafe (slam door), crowded, antique trains running on terrible infrastructure, almost daily reduction in train carriage numbers from what was planned and almost never any announcements when anything went wrong (which was often) and the most rude, unhelpful disinterested station staff who would all go and hide at the first sign of trouble. At least now I can check the app and know it’s shit before I turn up most of the time.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Currently stuck on train that is heading to Littlehampton. Left Haywards Heath 25 mins late 15 mins ago, not even reached Wivelsfield. Signal problem apparently. Stuck here looking into someones back garden. The joy.

Update: just leaving Hassocks. Only have to get to Hove, could be another 30 mins! Working from home looking very likely tomorrow.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
This, but today was unfortunately that day.

Got turfed off at Three Bridges, now stuck between Balcombe and H Heath. My lad is on an earlier train and has been near/at H Heath for over half an hour.

Mid 90s were still the worst IMO. Awful, unsafe (slam door), crowded, antique trains running on terrible infrastructure, almost daily reduction in train carriage numbers from what was planned and almost never any announcements when anything went wrong (which was often) and the most rude, unhelpful disinterested station staff who would all go and hide at the first sign of trouble. At least now I can check the app and know it’s shit before I turn up most of the time.

A railway infrastructure run into the ground by the Tory’s so they could flog it for a song.Sadly now commuters hard earned cash is propping up foreign rail companies .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Amazing moment of common sense from southern - they had a train waiting at Littlehampton and announced ‘we’ll leave as soon as everyone is on board’ - now on our way back to Hove.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here