Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing parkrun: 22.04. Not bad given lack of training. I'll post the AG here as an early season marker for others to beat: 73.94%.(I hope to beat it myself too!) Well done to anyone who braved the cold conditions for any sort of run today.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Worthing parkrun: 22.04. Not bad given lack of training. I'll post the AG here as an early season marker for others to beat: 73.94%.(I hope to beat it myself too!) Well done to anyone who braved the cold conditions for any sort of run today.

Bugger - I was quite pleased with today's personal best (21:59 - the first time I've got under 22 min), and thought that would put me nicely up the AG rankings with 73.62%, but you've beaten me already!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
21:26 at chilly Hove Park for me AG 68.82 - I either need to get older or faster soon to get near you lot!

Good to catch up with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

Not looking forward to 12 miles in the rain in the morning!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bugger - I was quite pleased with today's personal best (21:59 - the first time I've got under 22 min), and thought that would put me nicely up the AG rankings with 73.62%, but you've beaten me already!

Are you in the over 60's old git group with GNT? I'm going to be pushed out of the AG medals, if I'm not careful.

Missed Parkrun today and gave £40 to the Jesus Benevolent fund instead. Achilles sorted now and can renew the long, hard, battle to fitness. Lot of the issue was shin splint area tightness, this is an antagonist to the inner calf muscle also tight. Result pull on the Achilles. Not surprising after a long lay off.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
21:26 at chilly Hove Park for me AG 68.82 - I either need to get older or faster soon to get near you lot!

Ha Ha. You could aim to get faster and older.
I'll be very surprised if you're faster in 7 years, so better do it now. I'm 46 seconds down from when your age and same AG today. Also 2 mins 34 secs down from 22 years ago and still same AG last year.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Are you in the over 60's old git group with GNT? I'm going to be pushed out of the AG medals, if I'm not careful.

Yes, I'll be 62 this year. Luckily, because I only started running three years ago my times are still improving (albeit slowly), so my AGs are improving faster. I assume I'll soon get to the point where the negative effects of age start to offset the positive effects of training, but it hasn't quite happened yet.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Started back in the pack with the missus today and was slightly annoyed by the groups of three (generally women) running at such a slow pace that they ruined a lot of people's starts. I'm not the quickest so don't start towards the front, i only wish people thought a BIT more, not a lot, just a bit. If you're going to run it as a social thing in 30ish minutes do you need to be up front?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Started back in the pack with the missus today and was slightly annoyed by the groups of three (generally women) running at such a slow pace that they ruined a lot of people's starts. I'm not the quickest so don't start towards the front, i only wish people thought a BIT more, not a lot, just a bit. If you're going to run it as a social thing in 30ish minutes do you need to be up front?

I also had this experience today, but ironically I think it might have been helpful. I always go off far too fast in the Parkrun, and then end up finding I can't maintain that pace, and my overall time is worse. Today, I started relatively slowly because of the initial congestion at the start, and then built steadily through the run and got my best ever time.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Started my training this week. Will be the 6th marathon. I'm slightly overweight. But I also have a lot of muscle. So I'm doing 3 circuit classes to trim down. Man it's tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes, I'll be 62 this year. Luckily, because I only started running three years ago my times are still improving (albeit slowly), so my AGs are improving faster. I assume I'll soon get to the point where the negative effects of age start to offset the positive effects of training, but it hasn't quite happened yet.

I think you must be something of a natural. I'm (just) 62. My advice: find the quickest course!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Great running. I'm a much younger 57. I'm going have to train hard to stop you getting my AG Bronze from last year.

I think you must be something of a natural. I'm (just) 62. My advice: find the quickest course!

..and/or become a woman.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
3.5 miles on the road this morning. T-shirt and shorts as ever but it's the second day in a row where my hands really felt the cold. I do have some running gloves that I've only used once or twice as my hands get too warm and I've then got nowhere to put them.

14 days of running and 14 days of non-drinking (if I get through Saturday evening).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
3.5 miles on the road this morning. T-shirt and shorts as ever but it's the second day in a row where my hands really felt the cold. I do have some running gloves that I've only used once or twice as my hands get too warm and I've then got nowhere to put them.

14 days of running and 14 days of non-drinking (if I get through Saturday evening).

I do this all the time....start off with gloves (have always suffered with cold hands - to the point of being painful) and end up taking them off after 10 mins. I tuck them in the waistband of my shorts - don't notice them.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I do this all the time....start off with gloves (have always suffered with cold hands - to the point of being painful) and end up taking them off after 10 mins. I tuck them in the waistband of my shorts - don't notice them.

I rarely bother with gloves - I usually find that though my hands maybe painful half way through a 5k they'll have warmed up nicely by the end.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

What route and time tomorrow? I'm planning something similar. My start time is always a bit up in the air with a non sleeping 2.5 year old.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I am doing Brighton but not for REMF, this year I am just running without fund raising to give my mates and family time to replenish cash balances, as I have pretty much hassled people for 4 of the last 5 years. Would be great to meet up the morning of the race for my third Brighton marathon. Doing my training based on 10 minute miles so setting myself a tough target of 4 hours 20 minutes (4.41 my current PB). 18 miles planned on Sunday (ahead of Brighton schedules as my next marathon is 19th March). How many on here are doing the Brighton Half Marathon on the 26th Feb?

Yes im running the Half again this year. Also considering Worthing two weeks prior, it's excellent prep.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I went to bed intending to hit the Orpington parkrun this morning but a disturbed night (one of our dogs is on his last legs and needs a wee every couple of hours) meant I missed the cold and wet park. So I opted for 5 k on the treadmill this evening - as a complete contrast one of the boys had had the stove on in the gym room and I absolutely roasted for 29:38, inside my target of 30:00. Currently glugging water to recover.

I'm starting to feel like a bit of a wuss as I have been 'braving' the cold with hat AND gloves. 6 miles due tomorrow - time to man up I think.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I've just seen the weather forecast. Great - plus a northerly wind!

Good luck [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I went to bed intending to hit the Orpington parkrun this morning but a disturbed night (one of our dogs is on his last legs and needs a wee every couple of hours) meant I missed the cold and wet park. So I opted for 5 k on the treadmill this evening - as a complete contrast one of the boys had had the stove on in the gym room and I absolutely roasted for 29:38, inside my target of 30:00. Currently glugging water to recover.

I'm starting to feel like a bit of a wuss as I have been 'braving' the cold with hat AND gloves. 6 miles due tomorrow - time to man up I think.

It is (time to man up). I overslept, missed parkrun and did a sweaty gym treadmill 5k today as well. Going up on the Downs tomorrow morning for at least 90 mins running whatever the weather. There, I said it [emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here