Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First 5k run this morning since Hove Park Run March 7th. Forgot how much I have a love/hate relationship with 5k's, so much tougher than running slower and longer.

Hoping to get up to Hove Park this weekend so wanted a practice run to see what kind of time I should aim for, managed to squeeze in, in under 20 minutes by the tiniest of margins so I will be aiming for a pb of sub 19:47 on the 20th. Hope to see a few of you there.

1 6:30.9 1.00 6:31
2 6:27.5 1.00 6:28
3 6:25.8 1.00 6:26
4 :35.8 0.10 5:54

Yeah, I reckon I'll be there. Might be pacing someone at a slower than normal pace though - we'll see.

P

You won't see us for long running at that pace. I plan to be there. Just off for a run to the Dyke from home via West Hove Sainsburys. Will leave the Garmin at home.

What it with you and supermarkets? :lol: What did they make of you in Waitrose on Saturday morning in the end?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did a 5k of my own at lunchtime run as Jog-Easy / Near Threshold / Jog-Easy /Near Threashold / Jog-Easy in 1k splits. Depending on which device you believe my first near threshold was 4.55 or 4.58. While pleasing to get under 5.00 per k it contrasts badly with the Worthing 10k where I ran 5.01 / 5.04 / 5.05 for the first 3k (incidentally making it an enjoyable first 15 mins of the run [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ) and even 5.04 for the last k sprint finish. Hopefully it's burned off some fat and done a bit of conditioning which was the main aim.

Made for a very pleasing looking graph though. Don't show my GP.

1graph.JPG

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did a 5k of my own at lunchtime run as Jog-Easy / Near Threshold / Jog-Easy /Near Threashold / Jog-Easy in 1k splits. Depending on which device you believe my first near threshold was 4.55 or 4.58. While pleasing to get under 5.00 per k it contrasts badly with the Worthing 10k where I ran 5.01 / 5.04 / 5.05 for the first 3k (incidentally making it an enjoyable first 15 mins of the run [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ) and even 5.04 for the last k sprint finish. Hopefully it's burned off some fat and done a bit of conditioning which was the main aim.

Made for a very pleasing looking graph though. Don't show my GP.

View attachment 66167

Good run that......
Won't be too much fat burning at that kind of intensity - it's the longer slower runs that really do that. The higher speed stuff would be mostly burning glycogen (carbs), but it's all calories off whatever - and the higher intensity effort burns calories for a long time after you've stopped too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone's interested, here's my stats from the weekend's failure - noticeable slow-down around 25 miles, then a gradual slide into a pit of despair after that, and by 60m had really turned to crap......

https://www.strava.com/activities/325543985

Grimly fascinating if you don't mind me saying. I can't really get my head around that 'all started to go wrong at 60 miles' thing. I am in awe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I thought it was just f******g grim !

I love the map showing the distance covered. I can't work out the splits though. It says it's in miles but goes to 99 and has some very fast mile splits many between 5-6 minutes. You weren't were you? (sh*t I sound Welsh now)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love the map showing the distance covered. I can't work out the splits though. It says it's in miles but goes to 99 and has some very fast mile splits many between 5-6 minutes. You weren't were you? (sh*t I sound Welsh now)

Are you sure you're not set to kilometres isn't it ? It's ok on mine - nothing faster than 9.02

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are you sure you're not set to kilometres isn't it ? It's ok on mine - nothing faster than 9.02

Just reading the link you put on. The green bars. Will have a look later but having been on the Downs this afternoon (knackered after a mere 8) have a number of jobs around the house to finish to avoid being shouted at.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just reading the link you put on. The green bars. Will have a look later but having been on the Downs this afternoon (knackered after a mere 8) have a number of jobs around the house to finish to avoid being shouted at.

They'll be those silly French measurements.......good effort anyway, did you find the will to live that I lost on Saturday up there anywhere ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
They'll be those silly French measurements.......good effort anyway, did you find the will to live that I lost on Saturday up there anywhere ?

If you got all the way to Clayton, you should have asked for a place at the Clayton Wood Natural Burial Ground. Beautiful surroundings for a rest in peace. I'm not sure they would have let you change your mind on Sunday though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What it with you and supermarkets? :lol: What did they make of you in Waitrose on Saturday morning in the end?

Ha Ha. No I meant you can run all the way through Benfield Valley and only put your feet on one road between Sainsburys and Dyke. A nice 3 mile climb. 4 mile climb from home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There seems to be a bug in Strava. If you are logged in it says 'miles' and actually shows miles times. If you're not logged in, it says 'miles' but shows what are km splits.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
One (very) small consolation [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], I see you were the winner a cross the board on theNSC Strava group for the week. Surely some sort of record to be 65km ahead of second!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One (very) small consolation [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], I see you were the winner a cross the board on theNSC Strava group for the week. Surely some sort of record to be 65km ahead of second!

Only because [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] hasn't joined yet !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I was positively FUMING when he synced that run, pushing me down to second on all of distance, time and climbing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Ha Ha. No I meant you can run all the way through Benfield Valley and only put your feet on one road between Sainsburys and Dyke. A nice 3 mile climb. 4 mile climb from home.

I need to give this route a try! Though it may give me horrible flashbacks of running "cross country" round Greanleas in a sopping wet rugby top whist at school....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
P

You won't see us for long running at that pace. I plan to be there. Just off for a run to the Dyke from home via West Hove Sainsburys. Will leave the Garmin at home.

I'm not so sure with your recent times, pushing the 20 minute mark.

Tactics Saturday run the first mile hard as it's downhill then just try and hang on as long as possible over the hills of the final two laps.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I need to give this route a try! Though it may give me horrible flashbacks of running "cross country" round Greanleas in a sopping wet rugby top whist at school....

Head north. You run east side of the cricket fields south of Sainsburys, carry on path east of Sainsburys on slope above the building and run left of Hove Park School playing field. Continue to only road cross 10m left to golf club car park and then run 30m right and head north through beautiful tunnel of trees to golf workers barn, carry on north through golf course, right at top and path takes you over A27 on footbridge. Then north to the Dyke.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not so sure with your recent times, pushing the 20 minute mark.

Tactics Saturday run the first mile hard as it's downhill then just try and hang on as long as possible over the hills of the final two laps.

I ran Saturday 4 min km pace for 4 k. Since the Dazzer run I have struggled with the run in as my stamina built from the marathon has gradually detiorated. 20:15 would be my next target. I have finished my training plan for June 13th and will now switch to Phoenix 10k and run more miles in the week with the intervals at a 10 sec lower pace. I will be back for a sub 20 5k effort but not for a few months.
If you ran 20:15 I would give it everything I have but you are too far ahead. I am thinking easy run and sitting back and waiting for Hove Prom.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here