Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] cheapest way to get to Burnley

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I normally get the coach to away games but not sure I want a 7 hour coach trip each way. Anyone know the what is the best site/plan to get cheap rail tickets please?

is there a more general thread that discusses this?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You might have missed the cheap train ticket options but worth trying both routes via Preston or Manchester as there might be some advance fares left.

I always find the best sites are the actual train company ones. So virgin and southern as it's sometimes cheaper to split the journey

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Go to a London Market like Smithfields and find a lorry going back there and ask for a lift. Or ask on here if anybody who is going that has a spare seat and you can offer to contribute towards the fuel.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
You might have missed the cheap train ticket route but worth trying both routes via Preston or Manchester as there might be some advance fares left.

I always find the best sights are the actual train company ones. So virgin and southern as it's sometimes cheaper to split the journey

thanks for this. So do you buy to brighton to London, Euston to Preston(or manchester) then Preston to Burnley?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Next day delivery of a 100kg parcel from Brighton to Burnley's ground is £104.

:)

el punal

If you go on to the Virgin Train site now you'll be able to get decent advanced fares from Euston to Preston and back. £27.00 going up and £23.00 for return. From Preston catch Northern Rail to Burnley (any station, there are 3 of them!) for about £10 return.

Good luck!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
thanks for this. So do you buy to brighton to London, Euston to Preston(or manchester) then Preston to Burnley?

Depends whats cheapest, it can take a bit of checking. I usually go from Polegate but there is a bus service that weekend (don't think it effect the Brighton line) so going via Battle. Cheapest way this time was getting a ticket Battle to Burnley (in fact first class home was £1 cheaper than standard fare).

For other games In the past I have got tickets from Polegate to London and then London to the other place if its cheaper. Unfortunately there isnt a quick and easy way work out the cheapest.

At the moment you can get up there from Brighton £50 via Leeds and back for £60 via Preston on the Virgin site without rail cards which isn't too bad

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Depends whats cheapest, it can take a bit of checking. I usually go from Polegate but there is a bus service that weekend (don't think it effect the Brighton line) so going via Battle. Cheapest way this time was getting a ticket Battle to Burnley (in fact first class home was £1 cheaper than standard fare).

For other games In the past I have got tickets from Polegate to London and then London to the other place if its cheaper. Unfortunately there isnt a quick and easy way work out the cheapest.

At the moment you can get up there from Brighton £50 via Leeds and back for £60 via Preston on the Virgin site without rail cards which isn't too bad
Interesting trailine is showing a £91 return trip... I guess best way is to team up with someone who go regularly wit a twotogether railcars. 109 for two people.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If you go on to the Virgin Train site now you'll be able to get decent advanced fares from Euston to Preston and back. £27.00 going up and £23.00 for return. From Preston catch Northern Rail to Burnley (any station, there are 3 of them!) for about £10 return.

Good luck!

Thanks I will look this up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Good luck!

Excellent. Got £24 going up and £21.60 coming back (4 of us so group saving I believe). Costing us £67.10 in total including london travelcard and Prest/Burn return. Damn cheaper than what I was looking at earlier this week!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
If you have Tesco club card points you can get a £30 two together card for nothing

I cannot recommend this highly enough! We did this but for a Friends & Family ticket. Even if I had paid the full £30, it had paid for itself after Leicester and Watford, and has saved literally hundreds since.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I normally get the coach to away games but not sure I want a 7 hour coach trip each way. Anyone know the what is the best site/plan to get cheap rail tickets please?

is there a more general thread that discusses this?

I've highlighted this thread to someone I know who has a London - Burnley return ticket they can no longer use which cost them £22.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Go to a London Market like Smithfields and find a lorry going back there and ask for a lift. Or ask on here if anybody who is going that has a spare seat and you can offer to contribute towards the fuel.

*cough* BG, it is no longer 1964. I have other bad news if you're planning going to the last game of the season. Brace yourself. The Cavern club has moved to round the corner from where it used to be, and is is now a place to see tribute acts (and the real Alvin Lee). On the plus side, it does now have a bar. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here