Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road kill

Jul 7, 2003
Nope, first one today, Edna. I nearly hit one myself years ago in Ashington, I thought if you hit one, you put it in the back of the car, and sold it to the nearest butcher. (Joking)

If you hit one, generally the first call is to your insurance company as they are much more solid than they look. Mates of mine wrote off a hire car at Southwater a few years ago when they hit a deer on the A24.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
you really think that Badgers/foxes etc on side of road are not road kill.......However you don`t know if "Scum Farmers" shoot or poison them.??????

It was not my original comment but there is evidence out there to prove badger baiting and fox hunting still continues and throwing the corpses on a road is one way of hiding the evidence. I also believe that some people feel that wildlife has no real part to play in the countryside other than to be killed. i suspect there are some farmers in the latter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you hit one, generally the first call is to your insurance company as they are much more solid than they look. Mates of mine wrote off a hire car at Southwater a few years ago when they hit a deer on the A24.

Illegal to pick it up only the those after can. So if you hit one have mate in the car behind.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you really think that Badgers/foxes etc on side of road are not road kill.......However you don`t know if "Scum Farmers" shoot or poison them.??????

I've never seen anyone hit a badger on the road and I've never seen a farmer discard one from a vehicle but the latter is what I have been told by someone involved in wildlife welfare. Take it as you will. What I will say is that having lived in Sussex for the past 50 years I've have never seen so many badgers dead by the side of the road as I have done in the past two years and with many of them not looking in too bad a shape other than the fact they are not moving. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been an explosion in the badger population in the area so that doesn't explain why there is so many yet we are all aware of the farming fraternity's attempts to get them culled!!!

You believe what you want and I shall believe what I chose to. Not saying they are all the victims of farmers or even badger baiters but I don't believe that the numbers now seen are down purely to roadkill!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Nope, first one today, Edna. I nearly hit one myself years ago in Ashington, I thought if you hit one, you put it in the back of the car, and sold it to the nearest butcher. (Joking)

Ha. On that note, here's a bit of trivia for you.

If you hit a deer with your car and kill it, you're not allowed to take it away. If you come across one (dead!), that somebody else has hit, you can take it home to eat, should you wish.

Wouldn't fancy it myself: from experience, many deer are riddled with ticks, but, y'know, if your inner Bear Grylls takes hold and you fancy some wild dinner, then there you go :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've never seen anyone hit a badger on the road!

Badgers come out at night though, hence you don't see them as much as (say) rabbits. I drive at night loads, so I see plenty of them. Unfortunately I've hit a couple of badgers in my own car and once in a work car. The one at work, all I saw was something flashing across in front of the car. It was far quicker on its feet than I imagined a badger would be. I didn't know what it was (somehow, despite getting clobbered, it ran off into the undergrowth) until I reviewed the video footage from the car afterwards.

They can do a fair bit of damage too, like deer. More likely, however, that people will sustain damage by swerving to avoid them and hitting trees/ walls/ other cars of course...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ha. On that note, here's a bit of trivia for you.

If you hit a deer with your car and kill it, you're not allowed to take it away. If you come across one (dead!), that somebody else has hit, you can take it home to eat, should you wish.

Wouldn't fancy it myself: from experience, many deer are riddled with ticks, but, y'know, if your inner Bear Grylls takes hold and you fancy some wild dinner, then there you go :)

Already posted!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I live on the outskirts of TWells along Bayham Abbey Road, 50 limit, nice and straight, unbelievable numbers of deer about - lots of oak trees so they lounge about eating acorns and shagging. It's alarming how few people pay any attention to the signs, a full size deer or worse, a stag can be very dangerous. A big one is just the right size to be taller than the front of a saloon / hatch and go right into the windscreen. I remember many years ago some woman hitting a stag and taking it to the vet in Burwash - her and her teenage son had piled it into the boot of their Volvo and driven, with her toddlers in the back seats to the vet. Thank **** it didn't wake up and go absolutely nuts.

I've been lucky I think, biggest thing I've hit is a pheasant. Properly stupid birds.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Badgers come out at night though, hence you don't see them as much as (say) rabbits. I drive at night loads, so I see plenty of them. Unfortunately I've hit a couple of badgers in my own car and once in a work car. The one at work, all I saw was something flashing across in front of the car. It was far quicker on its feet than I imagined a badger would be. I didn't know what it was (somehow, despite getting clobbered, it ran off into the undergrowth) until I reviewed the video footage from the car afterwards.

They can do a fair bit of damage too, like deer. More likely, however, that people will sustain damage by swerving to avoid them and hitting trees/ walls/ other cars of course...
i dont think there is a more amazing wildlife moment than seeing a badger in rhe wild. Sadly its rare to see them as anything other than roadkill theyre so illusive. I spotted one 2 years ago and slowed down until level with by side of road. Massive male, it turned and stood for maybe 2-3 seconds staring back at me. And then it was gone. Disappeared into the darkness. Will long stay with me that sight. Can't recall ever seeing a live one before that.

Hit several deer down the years and saw a huge Stag near Scaynes Hill years ago which caused a pile up but itself survive untouched. Anyone else noticed you never see squashed hedgehogs anymore? Its because we ran them all over 20-30 years ago. I hate humanity sometimes. We've absolutely screwed our natural world, so many once common sights no longer exist.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
i dont think there is a more amazing wildlife moment than seeing a badger in rhe wild. Sadly its rare to see them as anything other than roadkill theyre so illusive. I spotted one 2 years ago and slowed down until level with by side of road. Massive male, it turned and stood for maybe 2-3 seconds staring back at me. And then it was gone. Disappeared into the darkness. Will long stay with me that sight. Can't recall ever seeing a live one before that.

Hit several deer down the years and saw a huge Stag near Scaynes Hill years ago which caused a pile up but itself survive untouched. Anyone else noticed you never see squashed hedgehogs anymore? Its because we ran them all over 20-30 years ago. I hate humanity sometimes. We've absolutely screwed our natural world, so many once common sights no longer exist.

I used to live in Downs Park and my flat overlooked a huge sycamore tree that was part of the barrier between the houses and the Hangleton Link Road.

At the end of the day just as the sun was setting a family of badgers would appear and I used to watch them until the sun set. Had to warn off some guts with dogs once who were intent on hunting them. The residents used to put vegetable waste over the fence to feed them. (The badgers that is).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley if your inner Bear Grylls takes hold it would require booking an expensive suite at the Grand.
Driven to a spot chosen by a researcher.
Cutting a slice off a previously butchered piece of meat.
Frying and eating it, while talking about something disgusting you've actually done, when there wasn't a camera crew present.

And just in case there's still any doubt.

#TeamRayMears.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've never seen anyone hit a badger on the road and I've never seen a farmer discard one from a vehicle but the latter is what I have been told by someone involved in wildlife welfare. Take it as you will.

genious logic there: havent seen any evidence but someone with a biased view told me something, so i'll believe it. its quite easy to do a autopsy if some animal rights group were so inclined, and discover is cause of death is gas, shotgun or car collision. the premise that you cant tell is the first flaw in this myth. its quite possible of course that it does happen occasionally, but its more probable that they simply got hit by cars.

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
Given the increase in volume of traffic on our county's roads and the speed it travels at is any wonder that so many animals are killed.
Despite many views animal numbers have increased over the years many of these are on the roadside during darkness especially at dawn.
The idea that farmers go out and kill to dump on roads is obsurd.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Heard that as well. Scum farmers. Lived in Sussed for nearly 50 years and never seen so many badgers by the side of the road. Don't know if their shot or poisoned!!!

More likely run over surely?

Chances are you see more dead badgers killed on the road these days because there are more badgers around. There are now more badgers in the UK than there are foxes.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
As a taxi driver around wisborough green at night u c a lot of wildlife . Was not until I started this job 10 year ago I saw my first life badger . Killed plenty of rabbits clipped a fox but survived ,knocked a badger ran off (they r solid) hit two stupid deer £1500 damage on both occasions . But also have seen a few dead badgers around . The one thing that amazed me doing this job was the amount of foxes again not that many during the day but by night wow there r loads often c cubs playing in the road on country lanes . Best sight I've seen mum and dad badger trotting up road with two cubs in tow amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Couple of my workmates hit an owl as they drove along to a job one night. It was still alive but injured & in pain so they scooped it up, wrapped in a coat & whizzed it to a 24 hour vet.

Happy ending: the owl survived and was released to fly again once its wing had healed :clap2:

The sight of an owl flying around at night is quite majestic. They're stunning creatures.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Couple of my workmates hit an owl as they drove along to a job one night. It was still alive but injured & in pain so they scooped it up, wrapped in a coat & whizzed it to a 24 hour vet.

Happy ending: the owl survived and was released to fly again once its wing had healed :clap2:

The sight of an owl flying around at night is quite majestic. They're stunning creatures.

One flew across a few yards in front of us a week ago, driving down a local lane. A MASSIVE barn owl. Brilliant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here