Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Unilateral Gibraltarian declaration of independence, followed by a separate treaty with Spain, and a petition for EU admission soonest.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
17634454_1437898312938278_3254463880575734356_n.png

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Apart from the Tory cuts leaving us with a NAVY consisting of a PEDALO from the lagoon I don't see much wrong with that

Have you been asleep under a rock or something? Of course we have a NAVY to rival the Spains!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The current arrangements don't seem to bother the French, even though they're much closer to the Channel Islands than we are.

they haven't got a leg to stand on ,on that score

numerous overseas territories,some of which are considered actual departments of France

even have a little piece of South America all to themselves French Guiana

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just goes to show how out of touch Howard is, the very thought that we could go to war over Gibraltar ? if it happens we should give him an old Lee Enfield and 10 rounds and parachute him in to Madrid first.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
the press are currently enjoying reframing the old clickbait topics with the brexit angle. No UK govt will offer Gibraltar up and no Spanish govt would invade it. It is, however, very handy as a distraction tactic for any Spanish govt looking for a bit of deflection if something's not going right at home. The previous Argentinian president, Cristina Fernandez, used to do exacly the same with the Falklands. Be it the accidental death of someone looking to release a bunch of secrets or the currency devaluing further she'd simply roll out the same lines to try and keep the mob happy.

Let's distract them with something simple and iconic. Far easier than trying to distill this whole complex and fxcked up mess into a headline.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Same with me - 1765, and only continuous since 1833.

Indeed:
1764 French set up a settlement on West Falkland
1765 British set up a settlement on East Falkland (Possibly without knowing about the French)
1767 French sell their claim to the Spanish
1771 Spanish attack British settlement
1774 British settlement evcauated though a claim is left.
1811 Spanish evacuate leaving a claim
1818 Argentina successfully becomes independent from the Spanish - inherit latter's claim to the islands.
1829 Argentine attempt at claiming the island
1833 British re-establish control of the islands, begin to colonise.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Did the article you just posted come from kremlin information warfare operation RT ( Russia Today ) ? ???

Well I suppose YOU think you're funny,and always wonder why you're stood on your own.The article is from the BBC,but you probably didn't notice it as it's in the adult section,not CBeebies.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I suppose YOU think you're funny,and always wonder why you're stood on your own.The article is from the BBC,but you probably didn't notice it as it's in the adult section,not CBeebies.

Russia, Trump, NATO, Trumpski, Brexit. What are your fears about German spending on defence? Allow NSC to alleviate them. They are obviously getting in the way of a promotion party build up. Come on little boy tell us. We can help you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the EU and all the odious apparatus of Brussels rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Torremolinos, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air (probably but it'll need a replacement agreement to the EEA Blue Skies one), we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches of Benidiorm, we shall fight them in Fuerteventura, we shall fight in Tenerife and in the streets of Gran Canaria, we shall fight in Nerja; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet of 6 guided missile destroyers and 13 frigates, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, such as New Zealand with all its power and might that a comprehensive free trade deal with The UK will give, just like Turkey will have, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but ... where's the justification for preparing for war with Spain?

I've no idea. To be honest, I'm not desperately keen to have one. Ask someone from Project Fear - they're the ones who seem to be doing all the speculating on imminent hostilities. They're probably wrong (again) though, so that's a relief to most of us that aren't keen on war.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Russia, Trump, NATO, Trumpski, Brexit. What are your fears about German spending on defence? Allow NSC to alleviate them. They are obviously getting in the way of a promotion party build up. Come on little boy tell us. We can help you.

And I thought GregBrighton was a one-off.Please take your medication.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Many years ago, on the bridge of HMS Lowestoft, heading into Gibraltar, I reported the Sparish Aircraft Carrier Dedalo as some sort of dredger :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here