Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Michael Oliver - Referee for Man City game [and Everton]

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A perfect example of things being avoided by Oliver yesterday was Calvert-Lewin (or however you spell it) constantly pushing Bruno. Everton clearly decided he was a weak link aerially and targeted him, but I lost count of the amount of times their winger pushed Bruno in the back or came over him or had his hands on Bruno’s shoulders. Yet not a single free kick.

And it’s not like they’re even the worst types of decisions, but it was constant throughout the match and we got nothing for it at all.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The ball ricocheted onto his arm from his body. His arm wasn't in an unnatural position and there was no intent to handle (in my view).

It wasn't a penalty in my eyes, and I think you would have been absolutely livid if a penalty had been awarded against an Albion player for that.

Out of our penalty shouts, this was the least likely. His arms were in an unnatural position for me, but he certainly didn’t deliberately handle the ball.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The ref and his assistants were very biased towards Everton imo. Hope we don't have the misfortune to get him for an away game at one of the top six or seven. We don't need officials who favour the big teams, it's already pretty tough at this level.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ben and his dad were leaving the Upper West and discussing/arguing about whether it was a penalty when he was tapped on the shoulder and the man behind him said it was definitely a penalty and a very good spot by the ref as I have just seen it on the monitor. It was Phil Neville.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I must be the only person who thought the ref had a good game so much so that I didnt even notice him being on the field.
Are you sure you weren't asleep for 83mins

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ben and his dad were leaving the Upper West and discussing/arguing about whether it was a penalty when he was tapped on the shoulder and the man behind him said it was definitely a penalty and a very good spot by the ref as I have just seen it on the monitor. It was Phil Neville.

I don't suppose the Evertonian mentioned the push on Gross. You probably thought that was OK and good refereeing to wave play on?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I must be the only person who thought the ref had a good game so much so that I didnt even notice him being on the field.

I really fail to understand how you didn’t notice him....I thought he was poor...but then maybe I expect higher standards from a top ref...he was inconsistent at best....the penalty was obvious (to all) once seen on the box, so that was a pretty easy decision to make.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

We're talking about the Albion v Everton game, was on Sundfay afternoon whislt you were doing something else other than watching the game, obviously

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I watched the game from my seat in Lower West and saw nothing wrong with most of Olivers decisions and would think the assessor gave him good marks.

You live by the coast, why not try actual fishing?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I watched the game from my seat in Lower West and saw nothing wrong with most of Olivers decisions and would think the assessor gave him good marks.

Nice wind-up BG. He was bullied by Rooney for almost the entirety of the game. When Rooney dived and didn't get the free kick you could see all the spit as shrek screamed a torrent of abuse at Oliver. In my refereeing days no player who did that would have stayed on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here