Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Are you sure it wasn't the red lion?
99% sure it was just "The Lion".....do you remember the big half moon picture of a lion painted on the wall above the entrance.

Always looked a bit of a dive to be honest.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Anyone remember the prince regent on brighton station next to casey jones burgers, used to work there then licensee for the bar, my large milkshake cup was always full of snakebite and black, it was a little place with sticky red carpet , only had Guinness, tartan beer, strongbow ,fosters and bass on draught , remember always having to close when millwall were down, always had Peter stringfellow in when he came down , happy days in my youth

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
This is the one with an entrance on Little Preston Street as well as Preston Street?

No that is The Chequers, which sadly was closed up last time I walked past. Seems crazy that a little,place like that can't keep going in such a busy area of town - see also The Royal Standard. Not sure about The Medusa Bar but always thought it looked like a pub with a silly name - does it still count as a pub?

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Very interesting. Any reason for the higher than average concentration of pubs in one area?

The area opposite (Old amex building) had a high concentration of slum dwellings and tradespeople prior to the war, could possibly be one answer.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
No that is The Chequers, which sadly was closed up last time I walked past. Seems crazy that a little,place like that can't keep going in such a busy area of town - see also The Royal Standard. Not sure about The Medusa Bar but always thought it looked like a pub with a silly name - does it still count as a pub?

Medusa does have an entrance from Little Preston Street too.

I've been in there many a time in its previous guises but the names escape me.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Medusa does have an entrance from Little Preston Street too.

I've been in there many a time in its previous guises but the names escape me.

Thats the one. Two entrances, tiny downstairs room which used to have a pool table years ago. I first remember it as Putmans in the late 70's then it was Becketts for a while after.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
There was a wine bar on the right hand side going down Preston Street mid to late seventies. A small but nice place and there was always a barrel of Pompey Royal on the bar. I do remember its name but does anyone else ?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
There was a wine bar on the right hand side going down Preston Street mid to late seventies. A small but nice place and there was always a barrel of Pompey Royal on the bar. I do remember its name but does anyone else ?

Putmans Wine Bar perhaps?
I remember this place so well as I used to work in the then "Bedford Hotel" on the wash up crew in the kitchens in the evenings. We used to sneak out of the fire escape in Little Preston Street into the back entrance of Putmans and nip downstairs while the oldest looking of us would go upstairs and get the lagers in. I was only 14, happy days. As I remember it was called Putmans Wine Bar.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Putmans Wine Bar perhaps?
I remember this place so well as I used to work in the then "Bedford Hotel" on the wash up crew in the kitchens in the evenings. We used to sneak out of the fire escape in Little Preston Street into the back entrance of Putmans and nip downstairs while the oldest looking of us would go upstairs and get the lagers in. I was only 14, happy days. As I remember it was called Putmans Wine Bar.

Close, Putnams and it was a complete coincidence that you had almost mentioned it in the previous post

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I will remember ... Nordic name ..... Helsinkis or was that the Old Vic ?

but whilst we are at it, who remembers the name of the 'wine bar' in the 80's at the beginning of the entrance to The Lanes as you enter from North Street on the left hand side and you enter through their courtyard, think it has been a pizza place in recent times .....

This was a late 90's/ early 00's haunt of mine. Ridiculously cheap drinks/ pool tables / liberal attitude to underage drinking / less fighting than West Street. It was Bierderbecks and latterly the 123 Bar (when IIRC they had some ridiculous £1.23 drink deal.)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Office was The Green Dragon. I don't know where The Foundry is, can't comment on that one

Pedestrian Arms. My uncle worked there for a number of years. Probably the first pub I had a drink in and a favourite haunt of underage drinkers and angry posties in the mid to late 90's

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What former names has the Thomas Kemp in Kemptown had?

I'm obviously a total alcoholic. This was a regular haunt in it's Polar East days (mid 00's.) Had a few mates that worked there, good pool table, large screen with sky sports and some cracking lock ins.

Also ventured in there for a bit of underage action when it was The Burlington.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here