Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am panic buying cans of vegetables to get through the crisis.

Yoda

English & European
http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...t-Britain-cold-winter-2015-arctic-snow-freeze

Good old Daily Express.
Cant even get the weather correct for tomorrow but winter is sorted..

BRITAIN is facing the most savage winter in more than 50 years with months of heavy snowfall and bitter Arctic winds set to bring the country to a total standstill.

The Express are like The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Although to be fair, there is a trend to El Nino this year and that did last happen 5 years ago and look at that winter.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
God don't let my boss see this. She believes anything and will start suggesting we keep holiday spare in case we get snowed in at home....

On the plus side, soon as a flake of snow falls she is first off home, so we shortly follow :flounce:

Flex Your Head

http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...t-Britain-cold-winter-2015-arctic-snow-freeze

Good old Daily Express.
Cant even get the weather correct for tomorrow but winter is sorted..

BRITAIN is facing the most savage winter in more than 50 years with months of heavy snowfall and bitter Arctic winds set to bring the country to a total standstill.

Not just the Express, that other bastion of quality reportage, The Mail says the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-start-powerful-El-Nino-phenomenon-1950.html

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa, I will only listen to you. No one else. What you say will be fact!!

Let's not get carried away.... always remember that the 'norm' for our location is wet, windy and mild...

and the same in the winter!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Interesting - reflects a lot of the data being discussed in Met circles about the effect of the El Nino on the UK Winter.

It's strange as I've not really been thinking about what this winter could bring as the idea of a strong El Nino coupled with a +PDO and +QBO doesn't tend to favour much cold weather for us.

However that record cold pool in the Atlantic is interesting in that it could aid in slowing down the jet and even have it heading south of us, which could open us up to a below average winter. Also talk of a Modoki El Nino which could aid Blocking to our North, but I think anyone trying to forecast Winter this year might as well put their finger in the air as there are so many conflicting signals.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Still no snow in yellowknife

Flex Your Head

Any update on potential conditions this winter, meteorology enthusiasts? I'm sure it's still too early to have anything other than some very basic indicators, but I keep hearing people talking about an early winter, or a particularly cold winter this year, el nino causing havoc, blah blah blah. What do our amateur experts reckon?

Any update on potential conditions this winter, meteorology enthusiasts? I'm sure it's still too early to have anything other than some very basic indicators, but I keep hearing people talking about an early winter, or a particularly cold winter this year, el nino causing havoc, blah blah blah. What do our amateur experts reckon?

Bewick Swans have arrived from Siberia already, the earliest ever, BBC saying this is an indicator for an exceptionally harsh winter.

Oh, and the Express have already stated "Coldest winter for a GENERATION"

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There are a lot of berries on a holly tree near my house. It's going to be a long cold winter.

Back in the real world - too early to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here