Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You’ve changed my mind. I guess that the paediatrician’s that have devised the healthy BMI range for kids that has been used in the NHS’s national child measurement scheme just don’t know what they’re talking about, and it’s all just puppy fat that they’ll grow out of. Obesity crisis? What obesity crisis?

I personally blame the food manufacturers. You used to have to add sugar to cereal at breakfast time. Now practically every box has tons of it, in daft shapes to appeal to children.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My 4 month old has rolls in her arms. I had noticed for at least 3 months that she has been getting gradually bigger but I'm just thinking of the right way to break it to her.

She cries really rather easily so it's like treading on egg shells

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My 4 month old has rolls in her arms. I had noticed for at least 3 months that she has been getting gradually bigger but I'm just thinking of the right way to break it to her.

She cries really rather easily so it's like treading on egg shells

Terrible parenting...change the milk for water.. soon solve the problem

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
As Westdene, has already mentioned a 9 year old girl may have already reached puberty, where water retention can add 4lb to her weight just because of her menstrual cycle.

Height is also a poor indicator, as I stopped growing upwards at 12 years old. I would've been classed as underweight, as I looked like a beanpole. I was good at netball though.

You stopped growing in height when you were 12? Isn't that a tad unusual...even for ladies?

I don't mean that as an insult but, when I did Health Visitor training that would have been the trigger for a whole bunch of hormone and biochemistry tests.

It's also an indication for some cancers in kids. Normal female growth can stop earlier than boys but pre-teen is unusual.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Children have growth spurts. They fill out and then grow upwards again. I can remember having to buy school trousers for my son three times in just one term, as his trouser legs were flapping above his ankles.

In the context of BMI measurements for children, what point are you trying to make?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You stopped growing in height when you were 12? Isn't that a tad unusual...even for ladies?

I don't mean that as an insult but, when I did Health Visitor training that would have been the trigger for a whole bunch of hormone and biochemistry tests.

It's also an indication for some cancers in kids. Normal female growth can stop earlier than boys but pre-teen is unusual.

I got to 5' 6" by 12. Maybe it was something to do with getting glandular fever when I was 8? I don't know, but I was like a skinny beanpole with legs like matchsticks. :lol:

I was always skinny after that, and became slim after having children. It's only since I developed thyroid problems that I have ever put weight on, but I was quite sporty when younger too.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
I personally blame the food manufacturers. You used to have to add sugar to cereal at breakfast time. Now practically every box has tons of it, in daft shapes to appeal to children.

So you’re saying that there is a problem with obesity in kids then, and that the NHS is correct in monitoring them and informing their parents in the hope that they might start to look at the ingredients in the food they’re giving them, eg breakfast cereal?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I hope the sugar tax is expanded to include foodstuffs as I don't think people realise just how much sugar there is in processed food. Even things like cornflakes are chock full of it. If people were made more aware of this I'm sure it would change habits and ultimately reduce obesity levels.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So you’re saying that there is a problem with obesity in kids then, and that the NHS is correct in monitoring them and informing their parents in the hope that they might start to look at the ingredients in the food they’re giving them, eg breakfast cereal?

No, I'm saying that parents need to educate themselves, and schools need to make sure physical education is part of the curriculum. The NHS should keep it's resources for those who really need it. Children were monitored up to school starting age at 5. After that, it's the parents responsibility.

Most people posting on Nsc will know the biggest problem is alcohol. That's why people have beer bellies. If you want to lose weight, you have to cut down on alcohol.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
No, I'm saying that parents need to educate themselves, and schools need to make sure physical education is part of the curriculum. The NHS should keep it's resources for those who really need it. Children were monitored up to school starting age at 5. After that, it's the parents responsibility.

Most people posting on Nsc will know the biggest problem is alcohol. That's why people have beer bellies. If you want to lose weight, you have to cut down on alcohol.

Yes, if you consider a pint of beer roughly the same in terms of calories as drinking a pint of semi-skimmed milk you start to look at it differently. A shot of whiskey is like a shot of cream.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008

I don’t think that alcohol is the cause of obesity in primary school kids.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, if you consider a pint of beer roughly the same in terms of calories as drinking a pint of semi-skimmed milk you start to look at it differently. A shot of whiskey is like a shot of cream.

You drink 8 pints of milk a day?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here