Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Most of us are in favour of organ donation right?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I would GUESS thats what possibly a majority of people think. (and for like minded people seems obvious). But there's so many arguments for and against, religion, ethics, dead persons rights, the paper work got lost

I am a hypocrite, in that I dont carry a donor cad, havent seen one at my quacks for years but they can help themselves. A post on NSC isnt going to make that legally binding though. If it came in to opt out I would no way opt out, but bottom line if I am honest is I have been to lazy to opt IN. So no one knows

The news story was about a penis transplant, hence "organ" donation. That's the humour. The female poster was basically asking would you mind someone else having your dick after you die.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Am I missing the "humour" here as the thread has been tagged? I guess I have as organ donation is really important; it can save / improve the lives of others when you are gone.

I have long been an advocate of the opting out system. When I die they can take whatever they like. I will be dead. I will no longer care.

I don't get the humour tag either. My understanding is that you aren't actually dead or the organs are unusable but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I waver on this one to be honest. Perhaps there could be a "don't know" option!!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I certainly wouldn't mind. What a great legacy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The news story was about a penis transplant, hence "organ" donation. That's the humour. The female poster was basically asking would you mind someone else having your dick after you die.

Yes the link and the last line of the OP's post is where the humour lies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same for me too. Also, IMO, it is more proof that the State feels it 'owns' us. They won't let us choose our time of death, and when we do finally die they feel they automatically have the right to distribute our organs as they see fit.

I appreciate that this is an emotive subject and others (especially if they're on a list for a transplant) will disagree, so this will probably be my only post as I don't want to get into a debate on the Rights and Wrongs.

This comment needs to be rebutted because it is Utter Nonsense. Nobody is advocating a system whereby people are forced to be organ donors.

I am in favour of 'opt out' (so the likes of you can opt out) AND I would make a law that prevents surviving family members blocking the organ harvest after death. That is so wrong.

Some of my colleagues have spent years working on 'cardioplegia' for long term preservation (of a harvested heart). Why? because there are so few donors (in our opt in system) that hearts are sometimes flown the length of the country from the doead donor to a waiting recipient, and need to be perfused and stored so they don't 'go off'. The cardioplegia works quite well - but the shortage of organs remains.

Once the law is changed I would also start a big campaign aimed at the religious and ethnic groups who oppose donation. It is well known that if you are of a certain ethnic group you have absolutely no chance of getting a match. With some transplants this doesn't matter (albeit you'll be on immunosupressants for the rest of your life as a recipient) but in others it is critical to get a good match. I also think that when the kids start pressuring relatives over this issue it will do a great deal to dilute the social parochialism that still exists in the UK within some ethnic and religious groups. For that to happen there needs to be maximum publicity, and advertising campaigns.

So opposing the 'opt out' strategy is both selfish and unnecessary. Anyone* can always opt out.

*apart from the bloke on the stag weekend who wakes up in a bath of ice in a cheap hotel room with one of their kidneys missing

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This thread is such a good example of NSC:

The thread is actually a joke about penis transplants though half of those replying didn't actually take the time to see what the thread is about but have waded in regardless of that. Now it is about the government and people are arguing about things extraneous to the joke. Peak NSC.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Yeah that debate has been going round for yonks now. I really dont think there is a correct answer people wont opt out then families will kick off for religious reasons or personal preferences, then there will be law suits. Bit like people whinging about the government when they didnt bother to vote

My COMPLETELY personal opinion is well. Opt IN, but make it easier to do so (like when they do the Census) so everyone can opt IN/ OUT easily or heck, instead make an app on the smart phone to opt out with your fingerprint

I dunno. I guess I think it needs to be a postive Yes at somepoint rather than a Yes/No/Preference not registered. It'll be the 3rd option which will cause the issues of course

Your right it does need to be easier to opt in. I would prefer that. It makes no difference to me as I am exempt anyway. I would willing gift my organs but not sure I like the idea of them being willing available. I also wouldn't want to receive an organ unless I knew the donor was gifting it.

The real point of this thread was humour though.

Do men like the idea of getting some action after they have departed this world or is that too much to contemplate?

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
No i think it should remain opt in., im in favour of donation but there have bee cases where doctors wanted the organs , were very keen to withdraw life support and the person has recovered.

This is another worry of mine with the new system. For the most part they will act in the best interests of the patient but I can see room for errors to occur. Will they always wait for relatives to arrive to say goodbye when time is of the essence.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
This thread is such a good example of NSC:

The thread is actually a joke about penis transplants though half of those replying didn't actually take the time to see what the thread is about but have waded in regardless of that. Now it is about the government and people are arguing about things extraneous to the joke. Peak NSC.

Well done for noticing....

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Same for me too. Also, IMO, it is more proof that the State feels it 'owns' us. They won't let us choose our time of death, and when we do finally die they feel they automatically have the right to distribute our organs as they see fit.

I appreciate that this is an emotive subject and others (especially if they're on a list for a transplant) will disagree, so this will probably be my only post as I don't want to get into a debate on the Rights and Wrongs.

I don't like the idea of my body being owned by the state too. It will mean some people opt out who are perfectly willing to donate a gift

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Nope not me, and I don't need to give a reason to anyone.

Under any system you're more than welcome to opt out. Me, I'm on the waiting list for a kidney that will save my life, so forgive me if I am in favour of organ donations.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just a side thought though, how many lives would actually get saved by this? is it 10/100s/10000s. We cant keep saving everyone for ever, we're over crowded as it is

Shall we just stop funding cancer research or advancing medicine generally?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Under any system you're more than welcome to opt out. Me, I'm on the waiting list for a kidney that will save my life, so forgive me if I am in favour of organ donations.

Good luck, and I'm with you, I think those who don't want to donate will have specific reasons and therefore opting out seems more relevant than a huge section of the population not having an opinion on it either way but not having bothered to opt in. I'm a on the donor register and donate blood 3 times a year, mainly after I had kids and realised how horrified I'd be if they needed something. Best of luck with your wait. :thumbsup:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Paranoia.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Good luck, and I'm with you, I think those who don't want to donate will have specific reasons and therefore opting out seems more relevant than a huge section of the population not having an opinion on it either way but not having bothered to opt in. I'm a on the donor register and donate blood 3 times a year, mainly after I had kids and realised how horrified I'd be if they needed something. Best of luck with your wait. :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly. Once this bill goes through, there ought to be more organs available so the chance of getting the call are increasing. With dialysis taking up to 4 hours a day, my life is not really my own, but hey, it's keeping me going.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I've always done all I can to make sure anything can be used if the worst happens.......

....... and trust in the integrity of the doctors and other health service employees who would be dealing with it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This comment needs to be rebutted because it is Utter Nonsense. Nobody is advocating a system whereby people are forced to be organ donors.

I am in favour of 'opt out' (so the likes of you can opt out) AND I would make a law that prevents surviving family members blocking the organ harvest after death. That is so wrong.

Some of my colleagues have spent years working on 'cardioplegia' for long term preservation (of a harvested heart). Why? because there are so few donors (in our opt in system) that hearts are sometimes flown the length of the country from the doead donor to a waiting recipient, and need to be perfused and stored so they don't 'go off'. The cardioplegia works quite well - but the shortage of organs remains.

Once the law is changed I would also start a big campaign aimed at the religious and ethnic groups who oppose donation. It is well known that if you are of a certain ethnic group you have absolutely no chance of getting a match. With some transplants this doesn't matter (albeit you'll be on immunosupressants for the rest of your life as a recipient) but in others it is critical to get a good match. I also think that when the kids start pressuring relatives over this issue it will do a great deal to dilute the social parochialism that still exists in the UK within some ethnic and religious groups. For that to happen there needs to be maximum publicity, and advertising campaigns.

So opposing the 'opt out' strategy is both selfish and unnecessary. Anyone* can always opt out.

*apart from the bloke on the stag weekend who wakes up in a bath of ice in a cheap hotel room with one of their kidneys missing

:bounce:

All very "this".

BTW, are vagina transplants also "humerous"? :drool::kiss:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I have spoken with my MP, Tim Loughton, about the "opt out" system and he is sure that it will pass through government, although there are a few MPs who are against it, he thinks there's more than enough to get it passed.It does have to go through the consultation process so that the antis don't have any grounds to stop it on a technicality.

I will just say in passing that whilst I disagree with Mr Loughton on many things, the two times I've contacted him, he has been outstanding. #whodhavethoughtit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here